U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 12:29 PM

13 posts, read 27,754 times

Advertisements

Hello, my boyfriend and I currently live in a suburb of Portland, OR and are thinking of moving to SA. We're tempted by the low housing prices and warmer weather in the winter months. Not to mention less rain! I was wondering if anyone could tell me the positive and negative aspects of living in SA. Are there certain neighborhoods we should avoid? We're also wondering how the job market is there. Any info we could get would be very much appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 12:46 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,621,134 times
Hi andij1616!
We moved here in January and love it. It has apparently rained more here than normal lately so that is what the "debate" is about. San Antonio is a great town with lots to do. If you go to the top of this page and click on search, you can type in what you are looking for from previous posts. This question has been asked many times (my husband and I started asking as soon as we knew SA was a possibility for a move). I have not been here through a summer but I am expecting it to get very hot. I guess that is a negative but from January-May I have LOVED the weather, rain and all! The sunny days here are just hard to beat! When it comes to where to live, I would reccomend getting an apartment for a while so you can learn the city for yourself. There are all kinds of different areas around the city with lots of great choices. People on this forum have given great recs. We have also found some awesome places to eat from this site. Hope this helps and good luck in your decision making!

Old 05-23-2007, 10:16 PM

586 posts, read 1,412,744 times
i have lived many places. san antonio still number one in my book

Old 05-24-2007, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,516 times
honestly, san antonio is a great place to live. there are many activities that can consume your day: from museums, to plays, to parks, to many, many restaurants. when here you are close to not only the beach, but multiple lakes and rivers that are certainly refreshing during our long summers. to that, summers are very hot, and only getting worse; however, you will get used to it just like you did with the rain. i've lived here my whole life and im still finding new things to do: ie state parks and different, new places downtown. one thing for sure, real estate is amazingly cheap: new homes from the 130's!! its quite unreal just how affordable homes are. of course in a growing city traffic is bad in some spots, but rent for a couple months, get used to the traffic and then buy a home. you'll love it.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:38 PM

180 posts, read 11,678 times
Hey, while SA is not a bad place to raise a family if you are younger and want an active, cosmopolitan, faster paced lifestyle it will not be the place for you! If your idea of fun is going hunting, getting drunk every weekend, and going to pool halls...it probably will be!

Old 05-24-2007, 06:43 PM
Status: "moving back to SA so I can rightfully post here" (set 12 days ago)

13,639 posts, read 21,904,364 times
I never hunt, get drunk on the weekends, or hang out in pool halls, but San Antonio is a great place for me and my family to live. There is a lot to do--we are not all rednecks and losers.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:45 PM

530 posts, read 1,488,548 times
move to phoenix its cheap hot and dry

Old 05-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Status: "moving back to SA so I can rightfully post here" (set 12 days ago)

13,639 posts, read 21,904,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
move to phoenix its cheap hot and dry
lol, and very educated and sophisticated.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:48 PM

180 posts, read 11,678 times
ohhhh stop it!

SA is actually a nice place. people do tend to be slower paced. But people here are sooooo nice.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:49 PM

217 posts, read 467,579 times
I agree with sous777. Notice that the hardcore SA-lovers you read on here spend half of their lives on this site--not at museums, restaurants, water parks (yippee!), and festivals. If SA were as great as they say, they would not be on here hours a day telling you how great it is. People like me, who don't like SA that much, admit that it's like being posted at an Antarctica research station, and spend time online accordingly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio