Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 05:04 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,804,893 times

Advertisements

HI All,

My wife and I are thinking of moving from New England to San Antonio. I am a patent and trademark attorney with my own practice. I notice, that according to the patent office, that there are about 84 patent attorneys in San Antonio, over 400 patent attorneys in Austin, and about 23 patent attorneys in Jacksonville, FL (other places we considered moving).

We were thinking about Austin, but S.A. may be better, especially since there are so many fewer patent attorneys, and our money may go farther in SA.

Anyhow, my question is, do you all think its a good idea for us to move to SA , based on what I do for a living? Is there a need for a solo patent/trademark attorney? Some more info is that my wife is origionally from New England, I am origionally from Texas, but ended up in New England about 6 years ago. My wife currently works for a local university as a community outreach coordinator. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 06:40 PM

437 posts, read 902,546 times
You didn't mention Dallas or Houston...

I know absolutely nothing about patent law but I have a comment/question. UT is in Austin/maybe there's a reason patent attorneys don't flock to San Antonio?

I really am curious about Dallas. I think the brains are in Austin, but there's money in Dallas...and Houston.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:37 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,641,916 times
You didn't say why you want to move. The weather? Recession? Just curious...I have no clue about patent law here.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:19 AM

cost of living. we just had a baby, want my wife to stay at home, bigger house, and the weather. we love to play tennis. we have to play indoors up here in New England, very expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
You didn't say why you want to move. The weather? Recession? Just curious...I have no clue about patent law here.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:27 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,786,434 times
I'd imagine there would be a fair amount of demand... mostly medical related? There's a decent-sized university (25K?) plus the medical school in the area.

I hear you on the cost of living thing - it's what brought my family here from the northwest. Everything costs less.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:27 AM

810 posts, read 1,424,833 times
You have to realize something. Just because there are less providers/suppliers, it does not mean you will be in a better position. A lot of times it just means there are less demands and not enough needs out there. Austin is the hub of tech start-ups and that's probably the reason why there are more patent attorneys there. Plus, Austin is a lot more sophisticated than SA.

You will do better in Austin, Dallas, and Houston where there are greater demands.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:39 AM

580 posts, read 1,429,236 times
Definitely more tech start-ups in Austin, and Houston and Dallas definitely have a lot of dinero, but UTSA is REALLY starting to push industry partnerships and intellectual property as development strategies. With the huge growth of the institution (some already accomplished, some on the way), you might be able to position yourself nicely in this city. I imagine that a lot of the firms in Austin, Dallas, and Houston already have established and secure clientele. Just my two cents!

We do have a handful of Fortune 500 copies headquartered here as well.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:01 AM

Yeah, thats what worries me, only 80 patent attorneys in SA vs. 480 in Austin. But, maybe it would be a good niche for me. I am originally from SA, went to HS there, then on to A&M, then UT law. So, I figure if I made it in New England with my own intellectual property law practice, having very few contacts, I should still do ok in san antonio by moving my law practice there, having many many more contacts in TX. Do you all see anything wrong with my logic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
You have to realize something. Just because there are less providers/suppliers, it does not mean you will be in a better position. A lot of times it just means there are less demands and not enough needs out there. Austin is the hub of tech start-ups and that's probably the reason why there are more patent attorneys there. Plus, Austin is a lot more sophisticated than SA.

You will do better in Austin, Dallas, and Houston where there are greater demands.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:11 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,408,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
Yeah, thats what worries me, only 80 patent attorneys in SA vs. 480 in Austin. But, maybe it would be a good niche for me. I am originally from SA, went to HS there, then on to A&M, then UT law. So, I figure if I made it in New England with my own intellectual property law practice, having very few contacts, I should still do ok in san antonio by moving my law practice there, having many many more contacts in TX. Do you all see anything wrong with my logic?
Excellent logic.

All bases are covered- local, A & M Grad, UT Law.

Welcome home!

Old 01-09-2010, 11:35 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,786,434 times
Perhaps it might be worthwhile to have an office in San Antonio but be personally based in New Braunfels in order to have easier access to Austin as needed? Just an idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio