Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 08:59 AM

657 posts, read 1,936,937 times

Advertisements

If the Texans started winning consistently and were making the playoffs regularly they would get more coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 09:23 AM

399 posts, read 1,139,478 times
I agree that the Texans should get way more coverage. I think it's sad that a city this size gives more coverage to another city's football team than their own basketball team. Yes, the Cowboys get more coverage than the Spurs, believe it.

And I'm not sure where Pops and Sweets gets the idea that the Texans don't care about SA. Is it just because they don't hold training camp in SA? Do you think the Cowboys hold camp here b/c they love you so much? No, because the city gives them tons of money. I don't think location of training camp has anything to do with how the Texans view SA.

The Texans are a very well run football team with great ownership. Bob McNair is much more respectable than Jerry Jones and the team will have success eventually. I only hope the SA media gives them the time of day when it happens. I'm not sure why anyone would "hate" the Texans, what could they have possibly done to deserve hate in their short existence. The Cowboys, that's another story...

Old 01-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
The Texans organization doesn't appear to be doing much to increase their profile in San Antonio. Some things they aren't doing that might help...

• Pay for some billboards around town that display the team's schedule.
  • Play one of their pre-season games in the Alamodome every few years.
  • Have players make personal appearances in San Antonio during the offseason.
  • Bring the team's training camp to San Antonio the next time the Cowboys move theirs to a higher bidder.
  • Make their players and coaches more available for local interviews by San Antonio media.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:44 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
HOW 'BOUT DEM COWBOYS?

I'm a bandwagoner, freely admitting. But come on, you gotta root for the Texans....oops, I mean the team from Texas! They're going to need lots of encouragement to get past Favre.

I'm only a postseason watcher, to be honest.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:53 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
I have to agree with Bowie. If the Texans cared to build a reputation in SA, they would publicize their franchise better with press releases and exposure in SA. It's not the medias job to promote something that isn't newsworthy. Being a new (ie reinvented) team after numerous tries, they have to do more than have one decent season to get attention.

And not being cynical, but whoever mentioned "respectable" in the same sentence as professional sports is out of touch. There is so much lack of integrity among owners, players and investors in pro sports these days that fans don't seem to care as long as their team wins. Sad but true.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,148 times
Hello, Long time reader, first time poster (in case you're looking at my post count right now). A lot of you are only contradicting yourselves! You first say to let San Antonio Fans decide who should get coverage, but then demand the Texans/etc. get more coverage. Well if you look around you, the fans HAVE decided who will get more coverage. I personally don't like the Cowboys myself, but 99% of my friends, as well as much of San Antonio are Dallas Cowboys fans. Because of that, that is who the media will cover the most.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:49 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 713 to 210 View Post
I agree that the Texans should get way more coverage. I think it's sad that a city this size gives more coverage to another city's football team than their own basketball team. Yes, the Cowboys get more coverage than the Spurs, believe it.
I was thinking about that a couple of days ago,
seems like I hear about the Cowboys every single day of the year
and hear about the Spurs only during basketball season

Old 01-10-2010, 06:21 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
First off, it is a sin - Second, NOBODY likes the Texans.
really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSA View Post
I'm from Houston so more Texans would be nice. Texans = Good. Cowboys = bad.

My favorite teams are the Texans and whoever is playing the Cowboys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj007 View Post
AMEN Chris
I liked the Texans just "okay" when I was in Houston. Growing up being an Oilers fan, it was hard to get used to them as our team. However, since moving to San Antonio, both hubby and I have become fervent Texans fans just because of this sentiment among people here. GAG me with all the Cowboys talk on the radio and elsewhere. I hate Jerry Jones with a passion...I just didn't realize how much!

Old 01-10-2010, 11:16 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
HOW 'BOUT DEM COWBOYS?

I'm a bandwagoner, freely admitting. But come on, you gotta root for the Texans....oops, I mean the team from Texas! They're going to need lots of encouragement to get past Favre.

I'm only a postseason watcher, to be honest.
Ditto.

Plus...I like the Cowboys, but don't like the owner (he's the JR of football team owners).

Old 01-11-2010, 07:22 AM

399 posts, read 1,139,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
The Texans organization doesn't appear to be doing much to increase their profile in San Antonio. Some things they aren't doing that might help...

• Pay for some billboards around town that display the team's schedule.
  • Play one of their pre-season games in the Alamodome every few years.
  • Have players make personal appearances in San Antonio during the offseason.
  • Bring the team's training camp to San Antonio the next time the Cowboys move theirs to a higher bidder.
  • Make their players and coaches more available for local interviews by San Antonio media.
Bowie,
You're right on most of these points. However, last year 1250 ESPN became the Texans affiliate in SA and there were actually several interviews with the Texans staff and players in the drive home segment. Chris and Jason even went to the Texans training camp twice. A huge improvement over previous years coverage. However, once the Texans reps were off the phone, these homers (can you call them that when they cheer for the Cowboys from SA?!?) started talking down the Texans and talking up their favored team. This is one reason why Sports Radio in SA is terrible. They're nothing but homers (or should I say Dallasites) and are rarely objective, even when the Texans give them unfettered access to the team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio