U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 01:23 PM

399 posts, read 1,028,078 times

Advertisements

It's great that they're trying to be green. However, I'd appreciate it if they'd stop screwing their hometown patrons by charging more than in other Texas cities. I shop at Wal-Mart now. It's just amazing how San Antonians are so fooled to think HEB is the greatest store on earth. Go into HEBs in Houston and you'll find many more choices and cheaper prices because they have to complete against Randalls, Kroger, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 04:20 PM

796 posts, read 2,758,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
At least yours will open "fully functional". The plus on Blanco was a conversion, and boy, what a nightmare!
That's true, I remember that.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:24 PM

82 posts, read 279,574 times
HEB 281/Evans will absolutely be open on time!
I've been promised. and yes, it will be a circus.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:06 PM

188 posts, read 549,729 times
Cheermom - Papa Gallo's is a Mexican place and I think it's pretty good. It's always PACKED so go early - of course there are not many tables in side and only a few outside (with the lovely view of 281 LOL). Not too expensive, really nice people working there, and really great enchiladas.

Another new place up north on 281 is My Place - it's south of Papa Gallo's but same side (east) of 281. It has burgers, chicken, and steaks. Decent prices, good food, friendly but slow service (but they're pretty new so they may get up to speed).

And last but not least you have to try the Antler Cafe on 281 and Hwy 46 at least once - to say you have. I mean - it's kind of scary with all the antlers hanging from the ceiling and on all the walls, but the food is actually not 1/2 bad and my husband swears the frogs legs are good (ewwww not going to even find out myself) - their burgers are good too.

Back to topic - I'm excited about the new HEB plus because I don't really like that HEB on Evans/281 (not sure why, I just don't) and SuperTarget doesn't have everything I need, so I'm excited to try something new. I won't go until they've been open a week or two, though, as Bowie said, it will probably be a zoo!!! I wonder when the other stuff there opens? Yes I think there WILL be a Dunkin Donuts... never had those, either!

Old 09-27-2008, 11:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,359 times
Excellent. I am an environmental planner, and San Antonio really needs to improve. I understand that we all are not treehuggers....but we can all save a little water, change some bulbs, and put one soda bottle in each toilet. Folks in 78259 let's support those who actually are jumping on the green bandwagon (yes I know some are doing it for the money, but it's better than not going green at all, right?)

Old 09-28-2008, 08:15 AM

418 posts, read 1,112,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachseed View Post
Excellent. I am an environmental planner, and San Antonio really needs to improve. I understand that we all are not treehuggers....but we can all save a little water, change some bulbs, and put one soda bottle in each toilet. Folks in 78259 let's support those who actually are jumping on the green bandwagon (yes I know some are doing it for the money, but it's better than not going green at all, right?)
Green Bandwagon ->

1. Smaller localized stores (ie. less consumption of gas to get to store)
2. Less or no plastic bags / packaging
3. Less walking distance to get from beer aisle to chips aisle.

HEB Plus is the flagship of inefficiency.

The rest of the country is going to smaller stores. This includes Walmart. Yet, HEB is still trying to make their stores bigger. A Escalade Hybrid (HEB PLUS) is not more environmentally friendly than a basic Corolla (Original HEB).

Old 09-28-2008, 06:40 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 856,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traficdogn View Post
Green Bandwagon ->

2. Less or no plastic bags / packaging

The rest of the country is going to smaller stores. This includes Walmart. Yet, HEB is still trying to make their stores bigger. A Escalade Hybrid (HEB PLUS) is not more environmentally friendly than a basic Corolla (Original HEB).

Are they that inefficient? I would assume their logistics would have similar footprint to any other big box store. And big box stores typically have very efficient logistics.

Fewer larger stores tend to be far more efficient that more smaller stores.

And if you have not notice, HEB has switched its trucks to use super single tires, which cuts fuel use 3%.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:21 PM

418 posts, read 1,112,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwh View Post
Are they that inefficient? I would assume their logistics would have similar footprint to any other big box store. And big box stores typically have very efficient logistics.
HEB Plus isn't being created for efficient logistics. It is being created to optimize profits.

Ie. Try to get me to by a razor scooter while I try to get a gallon of milk, and a box of cereal.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:41 PM

443 posts, read 1,359,547 times
Quote:
Green Bandwagon ->

don't u have to drive from one small store to the other to get each and every goods u need, how is that saving gas?
Quote:
at least you walk and exercise, than driving again to another store to park right in front of the door to get your chips or bread to another bakery store...
Quote:

i still think the opposite, i will ppatronize more one-stop-shop kind of store for shopping regular items and get everythng i need, and go to small specialty stores if i need specialized goods...

Old 10-01-2008, 08:24 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 856,168 times
Quote:
HEB Plus isn't being created for efficient logistics. It is being created to optimize profits.

Ie. Try to get me to by a razor scooter while I try to get a gallon of milk, and a box of cereal.
And how is that any different than wal mart trying to sell you a gallon of milk and a box of cereal why you go by a razer scooter. Heb plus is nothing more than a competitve response to walmart carrying groceries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or