Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:04 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,805,823 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We have decided to move back to SA after I left in 1983. We are currently in New England, and it is too expensive, plus we just had a baby, and want my wife to be able to stay at home.

So, we would like to move to a neighborhood that has good to great schools. The budget for our home (we are looking to save money) is $175K to $235K. We would like to be near a greenbelt, have a pool in the neighborhood as well as tennis courts. Proximity to nice shopping and resturants would be a plus. I have my own business, so I will eventually rent professional office space, hopefully nearby to our home, but somewhere that prospective clients can easily get to, like near majory high ways. Thanks for any help.

Oh, when I lived there, I was in middle school-high school and lived in Braun Station, off of Bandera road (between Helotes and Leon Valley). I don't necessarly need to move back to that same area. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 11:35 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
The two best school districts in San Antonio are Northside ISD and North East ISD. To put it simply, the two districts' territories cover almost everywhere in Bexar County outside of AND north of Loop 410.

How do you feel about traffic? It sounds like the Stone Oak or Rogers Ranch areas in North East might be a good fit, but until some improvements are made to US-281, the morning and afternoon commutes in those areas would be a real challenge.

BTW, be sure to look at the sticky relocation thread at the top of the list of threads in this forum. It contains many helpful links, including a link to an interactive map that shows ratings for individual schools. It should be a great help in enabling you to zero in on neighborhoods with the best schools.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:30 PM

33 posts, read 54,491 times
I love the Medical Center area because of conveniences--Northside ISD, near I 10 and I 410, shopping, twenty minutes to downtown.

Be careful about traffic. Some of the popular new areas are dense with traffic--such as those outside 1604

Old 01-13-2010, 08:53 PM

358 posts, read 821,629 times
Take a look at Trophy Ridge. Potranco and 1604. Great location, no thru traffic to other subdivisions. Nice houses in your price range. Elementary school in the neighborhood, HEB Plus and Kohl's at the entrance (the strip center Kohl's is in has some open storefronts). Super Wal-Mart 2 minutes away. Lots of restaurants around and, supposedly, Costco coming at some point. And a movie theater complex. If you like burgers, 5 Guys and Smashburger about to open just down the street. Brand new hospital on 151 about a 10 minute drive away. Etc...

Old 01-14-2010, 07:39 AM

437 posts, read 902,934 times
Helotes is a good choice for you; they have the homes, the safety, the schools, the shopping, plenty of professional offices already there and new office space being built. The traffic can be bad during the morning rush hour, but if you leave after 8:30 to go run your errands, shop, etc. you should be OK.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:29 PM

50 posts, read 153,346 times
Alamo Ranch.
'nuff said.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:31 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,678 times
I cast my vote for Helotes!

Old 01-14-2010, 06:51 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,032 times
How about windcrest? You have the windcrest tennis and pool center, a nine hole golf course and major revitilization across walzem.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:10 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
Hi All,

We have decided to move back to SA after I left in 1983. We are currently in New England, and it is too expensive, plus we just had a baby, and want my wife to be able to stay at home.

So, we would like to move to a neighborhood that has good to great schools. The budget for our home (we are looking to save money) is $175K to $235K. We would like to be near a greenbelt, have a pool in the neighborhood as well as tennis courts. Proximity to nice shopping and resturants would be a plus. I have my own business, so I will eventually rent professional office space, hopefully nearby to our home, but somewhere that prospective clients can easily get to, like near majory high ways. Thanks for any help.

Oh, when I lived there, I was in middle school-high school and lived in Braun Station, off of Bandera road (between Helotes and Leon Valley). I don't necessarly need to move back to that same area. Thanks in advance.
If you own your own business and will need an office for that, it may help determine what area you should look into. Not knowing what type of business it is, it's hard to say though. Some are very dependent on certain areas/demos, some aren't.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:04 AM

487 posts, read 1,117,886 times
Rogers Ranch is a great location but I think you would find the homes out of our budget.
Many if not most communities have pools. Tennis courts are harder to find. If that's important to you make sure your future community has one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio