Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 05:20 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times

Advertisements

Southcross in the Southeast side is not terribly unsafe looking except for a stretch between Clark and Dollarhide (duplexes) and perhaps some apartments closer to the existing hospital area (not the newer that is going to be built).

The homes are older here so the community is a mix of long term residents with newer ones. I would not be afraid to walk through the residential areas here near Southcross but would avoid the apartment areas, etc, There are also homes for rent so look into that because that will provide a safer experience than apartments.

If you mind your own business the younger people in the area (some have shaved heads and look like California gang bangers, others look like rockers with skinny jeans and the like) will not mess with you.

The Grove Park apartments are not as bad as 1405 S Hackberry, by a long shot, at least judging from driving by and being familiar with both neighborhoods. One is near-downtown in the East side and the other is walking distance to Brooks City Base and all the shops, stores, and restaurants there in the Southeast side.

It is pretty safe to go and shop at City Base and the other connected shopping strips and I never see a huge police presence in the area.

The middle of everything is going to be north of downtown by San Pedro by that is near-downtown as well and about as safe as Hackberry, though the racial makeup will be different there in the North side compared to the East side, all the way up towards North Star mall or even further north..

One apartment complex I would avoid, near Grove Park, are the Marigolds, from word of mouth they are terrible, think drug users walking around outside in the middle of the night. In either case Grove Park are pretty old (70's or 80's) and so most likely have rotten infrastructure in need of lacking repairs but that is just what I would imagine and have no way of really knowing.

So how did the move turn out after all?

Last edited by Merovee; 08-25-2010 at 05:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 09:21 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default San Antonio's Southeast Side,

Can be a fairly rough area. There ARE some very nice areas as someone
posted earlier on, however Hackberry St. is not one of the areas.
I grew up on that side of town and it was not so bad back then ,in the sixties. It was sort of a "rough and rowdy" place - beer joints etc- that was worst of it back then
Now, this is a different day and there a lot of goings on which in my opinion would make it an undesirable place to stay for you to stay, as a young lady. Not to say that something would happen to you but you might be at the wrong place at the wrong time by the merest coincidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmela432 View Post
I posted on here the other day about SE san antonio, but we realized the street I was referring to was actually a NW street...Well, I talked to the lady and she had emailed me the wrong address !! SO I will be going to SE part of town...The address is 1405 S. Hackberry 78210...I that a good, safe, convenient area to be in for a young lady like me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio