U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-24-2007, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Houston
37 posts, read 128,197 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

I am looking for a veterinarian in the 78218/78209 area. I know I can look in the phone book, but I'm interested in anyone's personal experience. Great places? Stay away from?? BTW, I have 2 adult cats.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-24-2007, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Helotes, TX
469 posts, read 2,169,683 times
Reputation: 115
Are you looking for anything in particular? A felines only vet? Holistic? Specialty? Are your cats geriatric?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2007, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Houston
37 posts, read 128,197 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleSG View Post
Are you looking for anything in particular? A felines only vet? Holistic? Specialty? Are your cats geriatric?
not necessarily. (they are both 5 years old) just someone who is up to date and more observant. I don't know how to explain that. I would like to take my cats to someone who will be a little more interested than just feeling their body for 2 seconds and giving them their shots.
I have been taking them to Fredricksburg Road Animal Hospital, but that is not very close. I haven't been impressed. Last year I got the post card reminder that it was time for their shots. I called for the appt and also requested teeth cleaning. My male cat has horrible breath. They (at the vet) told me that he doesn't have any problems that would cause bad breath... and that was all I got??? Also, when I picked them up and went to pay, I didn't see the charge for shots on the bill. I asked and they were all confused and said "oh did you want to get their shots today?" hello??

I want someone/place that will actually pay attention and not just shuffle animals in and out as quickly as possible.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2007, 05:37 PM
 
Location: converse
469 posts, read 1,025,748 times
Reputation: 531
I have a great vet but it's not anywhere near you. It's China Grove Vet Clinic out in China Grove (out Highway 87.) It a semi-country vet but they really care about the pets.

I don't live near them either but I've gone to other vets in my area and didn't care for them.

Here's there info just in case you are interested.

7050 US Highway 87 E
San Antonio, TX 78263
(210) 648-1940
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2007, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Helotes, TX
469 posts, read 2,169,683 times
Reputation: 115
Oh I hate inattentive vets. I was a vet tech through my college years and saw the very best and the very worst. Drove me nuts! I'm not a peace lovin' hippie type but I go to a holistic vet that knows me, my husband, my dogs, and all my fosters by name and their personality quirks. They are very personal and I'm embarrassed to say, I'm pretty sure the tech knows my voice over the phone so I don't even need to tell them who's calling. They know all the behavioral nuances of my mental dogs and all of their other patients as far as I can tell. The vet does the dentals herself and is a 'less is more' kind of person in terms of treatment. As for vaccines any vet worth his weight is moving towards every 3 years rather than every year unless there are some extenuating circumstances. If you're interested, she's worth the drive:
Compassionate Care Veterinary Services
8607 Wurzbach Rd Bldg S
SA, TX 78240
210-641-4447

She also sells a decent selection of high quality foods there, none of which have been on the recall list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2007, 07:07 AM
 
370 posts, read 763,188 times
Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleSG View Post
Oh I hate inattentive vets. I was a vet tech through my college years and saw the very best and the very worst. Drove me nuts! I'm not a peace lovin' hippie type but I go to a holistic vet that knows me, my husband, my dogs, and all my fosters by name and their personality quirks. They are very personal and I'm embarrassed to say, I'm pretty sure the tech knows my voice over the phone so I don't even need to tell them who's calling. They know all the behavioral nuances of my mental dogs and all of their other patients as far as I can tell. The vet does the dentals herself and is a 'less is more' kind of person in terms of treatment. As for vaccines any vet worth his weight is moving towards every 3 years rather than every year unless there are some extenuating circumstances. If you're interested, she's worth the drive:
Compassionate Care Veterinary Services
8607 Wurzbach Rd Bldg S
SA, TX 78240
210-641-4447

She also sells a decent selection of high quality foods there, none of which have been on the recall list.
Hello Michelle,

I wonder if you could recommend anyone who might be a Foster/volunteer, (if not signed up through Operation Noble Foster they could sign up in order to recieve compensation for food, litter and vet bills) for me.

I have three lovelies that are mature and are all rescues so I want to make their transition with me into the Army as smooth as possible.

Also, since my first three months involve training I'd really love to find a local consistant temp foster for them in case I get deployed for a month or more or sent to trainings.

They are also purebred rescues and my Ruddy Abyssinian and Devon Rex are a bit sensitive but, I've never had any problems. When I adopted them I discovered that all the horror stories I'd heard about their "special needs" were unfounded. I adopted rescue cats, the fact that they were purebred was not consequential to me.

My third kitty is a domestic shorthair, they've all got sad pasts and a happy present so, I'd like to keep it that way!

Thanks for listening and feel free to email me through the pm here.

Gen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2007, 08:07 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
7 posts, read 19,317 times
Reputation: 19
Veterinarians, I've found, are a very personal taste. There is a vet clinic in Alamo Heights, Alamo Heights Pet Clinic, which many of my friends go to. One loves it so much that she travels all the way across town to go there. Dan Kirby, the vet, is very knowledgable and "keeps up". I went there for a while, and though I liked him fine, I guess I just prefer a smaller practice. I found the Northwood Animal Hospital, which wouldn't be too far from you (still NE) and fell in love with the staff there. It's a very small place, but you get very personal service. Dr. Larry Woods is just the sort of vet that appeals to me--very laid-back and calm, but still knowledgable. He just euthanized one of my dogs this past weekend and I was so grateful for his compassion and kindness. He cried along with my husband and me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2007, 01:11 PM
 
370 posts, read 763,188 times
Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilantro View Post
Veterinarians, I've found, are a very personal taste. There is a vet clinic in Alamo Heights, Alamo Heights Pet Clinic, which many of my friends go to. One loves it so much that she travels all the way across town to go there. Dan Kirby, the vet, is very knowledgable and "keeps up". I went there for a while, and though I liked him fine, I guess I just prefer a smaller practice. I found the Northwood Animal Hospital, which wouldn't be too far from you (still NE) and fell in love with the staff there. It's a very small place, but you get very personal service. Dr. Larry Woods is just the sort of vet that appeals to me--very laid-back and calm, but still knowledgable. He just euthanized one of my dogs this past weekend and I was so grateful for his compassion and kindness. He cried along with my husband and me.
Hello Cilantro,
I too prefer a smaller practice. I just changed from a "train station dept" like one here in Chicago to "Compassionate veterinary services" who also does in home end of life/palliative/euthenasia care too.

I adore this vet! Wish I could take him to SA with me.
Gen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2007, 02:24 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
63 posts, read 229,097 times
Reputation: 36
I was taking my dog to Dr kirby, but found Traveling Tails on Thousand Oaks.
There's a couple of lady vetsw there that are really good and they will come to your home if you prefer. they are the ones that told me immediatly that my dog had some bad teeth which was causing the bad breath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2007, 04:18 PM
 
37 posts, read 177,463 times
Reputation: 20
I've heard good things from the one located right inside Loop 410 & Broadway (78209). Can't remember the name but it is just south of 410 Diner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top