Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 08:16 PM

77 posts, read 220,536 times

Advertisements

Bye!

It sounds like the OP had made up her mind about this place before she moved here. She now wants a sympathetic ear.

Sorry Joei, but I get the impression that you'll be miserable no matter where you live. I've been all over the world and I don't agree with a single one of your cons in your original post. You're grasping at straw here...

Old 01-14-2010, 08:25 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,563,206 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

But I don't know. Joei, if you feel that way, well whatever just try your best to find somewhere else.

Last edited by Bo; 01-14-2010 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you quoted was deleted

Old 01-14-2010, 08:27 PM

454 posts, read 685,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc hokie View Post
Sorry Joei, but I get the impression that you'll be miserable no matter where you live. I've been all over the world and I don't agree with a single one of your cons in your original post. You're grasping at straw here...
People say the same old ****. If your comment was true, then speak to the many people who have left New York City to go elsewhere and have became miserable.

Florida and Texas are 2 worlds apart, so you cant beat me up for feeling a certain way about a place because of the differences. Im just giving my standpoint.

I doubt I'll be miserable no matter where I live, San Antonio isnt the only place on earth for crying out loud.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:31 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,014,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post
I doubt I'll be miserable no matter where I live, San Antonio isnt the only place on earth for crying out loud.
No, it's not the only place on earth. Truth be told, it's all the same with minute differences and occasional variables.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:36 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,890,638 times
OK, I am going to be willing to give you the benefit of the doubt because honestly I wasn't too thrilled with San Antonio when we were first stationed here over ten years ago. However, there were other reasons beyond SA that contributed to my unhappiness which I won't go into here. But after six months or so, the place really grew on me and continued to do so to the point that when we finally got the choice in where we could live, SA topped the list!

But I do have to ask you some questions. First, did you choose to move here, or was it out of necessity? If you were forced to come here, that could account for some of your unhappiness.

Secondly, roughly how old are you? In your twenties? Thirties? Forties? Beyond? Also, are you married or single?

I ask because San Antonio is not much of a town for young single people, it is more of a family-oriented place. There are bars and clubs here, but if I was much younger and single, Austin would be my choice for a place to live. It is much more "hip" than SA.

But either way, your "observations" could clearly be construed as offensive and rude. I understand you might not be happy in being here, but a positive attitude could make things more enjoyable for you. Having lived in numerous places in this country as well as several other countries, it is easy to find fault with any place. However, instead of focusing on what you perceive as negatives; maybe you need to make more of an effort to find the positives. San Antonio has a lot to offer, and in the short time you've been here you don't seem to have found any of it.

Lastly, I go to Tampa quite often, and am originally from Florida (grew up there as a kid before leaving to join the Air Force). Florida definitely has its positive aspects but also a lot of negative ones as well. I won't list the ones I've observed, but don't act like San Antonio is the only place that has its downsides. Consider the establishments that run along Dale Mabry Boulevard, San Antonio could be considered a much more classier place by some people!

I hope things get better for you; but we have learned that SA isn't for everyone. If it doesn't float your boat, then maybe you should seriously consider moving elsewhere. That may be blunt but since you seem to be able to dish out such harsh criticisms I figure you can take them as well.

Speaking of which, you had better be one hot looking lady to be so critical of how others appear. Even then, looks can't cover for an acidic attitude. Plus, eventually looks fade; but a good personality lasts a lifetime!

Cheers! M2

Old 01-14-2010, 08:44 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,803,565 times
Re: Original Post

I re-read it and I'm still dizzy from this kid talking in circles. It seems to me that HE put up a weak argument and the board is now fighting back with factual observation.

If you want to embrace the city, quit looking for reasons to hate it.

BN

Old 01-14-2010, 09:08 PM

490 posts, read 1,090,532 times
Quote:
Please, I rather sit at home alone than to date the yucky looking people who live in this town anyday.

And FYI, I may be at home alone out of choice, but all I have to do is lift up the phone and I already got 2 or 3 lined up.
Please post a photo.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:10 PM

77 posts, read 220,536 times
Quote:
Florida and Texas are 2 worlds apart, so you cant beat me up for feeling a certain way about a place because of the differences. Im just giving my standpoint.

You're right. I've lived in FL as well and it is worlds apart from TX. Yet you seem to be a fan of neither place. If they're worlds apart and they both suck, I'm noticing the common element.

In your OP you warned people against drawing conclusions, yet that's exactly what you did within a week of living here. As M2/3 mentioned, if you look for the negative in any city, you will find it. Is San Antonio the perfect place to live? Of course not. I could mention several things I don't like about this city. Do any of them justify a pity party on the City Data forum? Not hardly...

No one is forcing you to like SA. Just don't seem shocked when you go to a website dedicated to it and don't find any sympathy.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:20 PM

898 posts, read 2,553,395 times
I've found myself making the same judgments when visiting other towns. (I remember doing this when i moved up to college station for school) It's easy to do but eventually you should realize that it's your problem for not going somewhere with an open mind. People do live differently in other parts of the country.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:48 PM

454 posts, read 685,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Re: Original Post

I re-read it and I'm still dizzy from this kid talking in circles. If you want to embrace the city, quit looking for reasons to hate it.
Read between the lines...There's no reason to hate. Some things you don't even have to look for, they just fall right in front of your ****ing face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan View Post
I've found myself making the same judgments when visiting other towns. (I remember doing this when i moved up to college station for school) It's easy to do but eventually you should realize that it's your problem for not going somewhere with an open mind. People do live differently in other parts of the country.
Who says Im not having an open-mind? Newsflash! Just because I've picked up on the aspects of a town that happen to be 'distasteful' to say the least, does that mean I should conform to it? No!

I find it hard to believe that all the locals here are as in love with this place as you all make it out to seem. I have a friend, in his 50s, nice home and job on the N.W. side and he hates it out here, and is moving to Austin. But I guess he'll be miserable there too cause he doesnt like living in fat ass Antonio huh

I dont understand why everyone here is waving pitchforks and shotguns. The observations I mentioned are very true and real. And guess what? I'd have no problem making such observations about my home town either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio