U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 11:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,439 times

Advertisements

I contested two speeding tickets(one in a school zone) this year, where I knew I really was in the wrong--the one that was in a school zone I was about 5 miles over the limit, and was actually just outside of the school zone, so I probably could have argued on that one. The other one I truly was speeding(10 miles over the limit) but there were other cars on either side of me that could have obstructed the officers view, so I planned to argue that. On both of them, I changed the court date once(increasing the likelihood the officer wouldn't even recall/show up). This strategy worked with one ticket, and I got a notice in the mail that that one was dismissed. For the other one, the officer showed up, but then unexpectedly dismissed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 01:46 AM

3 posts, read 12,284 times
Default Keep it off driving record (CDL)

Hubby got speeding and reckless tickets tonight. He has a CDL instead of a Class C. We are willing to pay the $450 in fines, but would like to keep the conviction off his driving record. Does anyone know how to accomplish that or have the name of a good traffic violation attorney?

Old 07-28-2010, 06:39 AM

374 posts, read 861,821 times
9 times out of 10 the lawyer can get the charges dropped. They use anything from calibration of the speed detection device to the height of the sign (they must be a certain height off the road).

Did you have any tracking active when you were pulled over? Alot of these GPS units keep a tracking log and I think the phones that are GPS enabled do as well. If you can get that log, you can use it. My company truck had Florida plates on it for the first couple years here and I was a favorite target of these lazy tax collectors everyone calls cops. I had both my company laptop logging and then a company tracking device. All I had to do is mention it and suddenly I all I would get "just slow down next time" speech. Speeding fines are easy money for all levels of government and most out-of-state drivers just pay the fine.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:23 AM

3 posts, read 12,284 times
No, unfortunately, we did not having any tracking devices running (unless his Blackberry does it automatically, which I doubt). I want to find a lawyer to keep this off his driving record, but hubby thinks that is a scam and that we'll end up paying the ticket, getting the hit on his driving record, and then paying a lawyere on top of all that for nothing.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:51 AM

4,263 posts, read 9,691,565 times
Is he guilty of the speeding and reckless driving?

Old 07-28-2010, 11:19 AM

15,062 posts, read 19,624,248 times
I need advice on my speeding ticket (in Cibolo)

I was driving in Cibolo going South on a little road that goes towards I-10 around 8pm.
As you starts leaving the residential area (30mph) then there's a straight road about 1 mile long with only corn fields (45mph)

This SOB police officer parked his car right where the speed limit changes to catch anybody that starts speeding up to 45mph a few yards before the speed limit sign.

He stopped me and I told him that I thought the speed limit there was 45mph.
He told me: "I got you coming down the deep (little creek) doing 42mph and the speed limit there is 30mph"

The next day I decided to go by and see where the speed limit sign is.
Guess what, the little creek where he caught me is about 50 yards after the 45mph sign so I was past the 45mph sign.

I took some pictures of the area and got a court day.
Do you guys think that they'll drop the ticket?
or do you think that he's going to pull a "I never said that".
BTW, is my 1st speeding ticket in more than 10 years.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:27 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,986,685 times
Have the officer repeat in court where you were when he clocked you (and where HE was), THEN present the evidence as to the location of the sign. Gonna be kinda hard for him to argue that. But rather than calling the mans' heritage into question (which I seriously doubt you'd do to his face), why not realize that he might have made an honest mistake? Because it's obvious YOU didn't know where the speed changed - because by your own admission, you had to go back and look.

We're all human, dude.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:51 PM

4,274 posts, read 6,629,936 times
Yes, but that cop presumably sits there ALL THE TIME. The idiot should know better, shouldn't he?

Even better, of course, would be if all the cops in Bexar County didn't run speed traps and try to steal money from motorists and instead focused on the REAL criminals.

Alas, it's a pipe dream. And it's pathetic that it is.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:01 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,986,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Yes, but that cop presumably sits there ALL THE TIME. The idiot should know better, shouldn't he?

Even better, of course, would be if all the cops in Bexar County didn't run speed traps and try to steal money from motorists and instead focused on the REAL criminals.

Alas, it's a pipe dream. And it's pathetic that it is.
You're presuming something that you have no knowledge of.

Ummm....speeding IS a crime - and can cause accidents that injure/kill other motorists.

What's pathetic is someone that bemoans enforcement of laws designed to protect us.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:22 PM

4,274 posts, read 6,629,936 times
Far from it. I only bemoan the abuse of power by police officers running speed traps, LYING to peoples' faces about how fast they were going and general incompetence/unprofessionalism.

The worst part is that all these garbage cops bring a bad name to the good ones who are actually doing their jobs with the utmost professionalism and respect. It makes me so sick.

And I'm "presuming something I have no knowledge of"? Possibly. But it's Cibolo....a small town, small area. The cop already knows where he can easily catch people, wouldn't he/she? It's a legitimate presumption, albeit I may obviously be wrong. Doubt I am, though.

When speed limits are APPROPRIATE for the road and not set artificially low for the purpose of revenue generation, fine. But if it is any other situation, that is just plain abhorrent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio