Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 08:02 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,043,826 times

Advertisements

Why don't you get some land and a home in Floresville or somewhere south of the city if he's going to be working that far out? You would have to travel over here to see what is available to make the best decision probably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 08:28 PM

358 posts, read 821,266 times
You haven't said where down south, such as southeast, central or west, but there are some nice small towns south of the city and the drive into S.A. and back home is way less frustrating. I'm talking about towns like Castroville (west), Devine (southwest), Pleasanton (south) and Floresville (southeast). We live in Hondo for 11 years before moving back to the city about 4 years ago and we loved the small town atmosphere. And as far as I know, the school systems in these towns are fine. You can also build a very nice custom home on a nice sized lot in or near any of them with the kind of money you're talking about spending.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:05 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,786,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HearingThings View Post
...and farther out subdivisions--most likely Rogers Ranch, Deerfield, Inwood, etc...
For what it's worth there are a lot of younger types with kids in the second and third neighborhood you mentioned. Still a few original owners too (people that built when new ~1986 to 1996) which isn't bad either because they can be friendly and since they're home a lot they know what's going on during the day, but mostly younger types. I haven't been to Rogers Ranch so can't comment on that. Wouldn't exactly call it farther out either. Not compared to some of the developments that've gone up in what looks like the last 5 years or so. Some of those are 20 minutes out from where I am in Deerfield.

IMO it's not a mcmansion type area - construction wasn't fake everything and extra square feet at the expense of architecture or quality. There are dozens of builders per neighborhood so it doesn't have that look where you see a house and know that you've seen it somewhere else in the neighborhood too. I think these neighborhoods were built the same way the older ones were. Where somebody finds a lot they like and then finds somebody to go build on it.

Anyway hope this helps!
edit: hmm, moving from the bay area, working between hwy 410 and 1604. I'm gonna do the math and say that if you're looking for a decent commute to Toyota from what I hear that place is just way out there. Some of those small towns honestly might be a decent bet. Somebody I work with lives in Pleasanton and she really likes it. Another one of those places I haven't been to since my wife and I moved from Seattle a little over a year and a half ago. The lady I work with says there are a lot of trees out there and that it's pretty nice. I think she's on a couple off acres.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:58 AM

188 posts, read 550,775 times
We moved from Chicago a year and a half ago and had to make the same decision about living in a more urban area versus further out in a newer neighborhood. Having lived in older homes in more urban areas for the last 10 years, we realized that that's the lifestyle that we prefer. We bought a house not far from downtown in Alta Vista, and we're very happy with our decision. We looked at homes in Alamo Heights, Terrell Hills, Mahncke Park, and Tobin Hill, but in the end we fell in love with our 1920s bungalow. Our neighborhood is really diverse with a number of families on our street. I feel good about our son growing up here. It's true that most people on our block send their kids to private schools, but there are some excellent options in the area. My son goes to a top notch preschool in Monte Vista, and we're already looking into the many excellent private schools for kindergarten. I work downtown now, which is a really easy commute. However, I commuted to and from an office on 1604 last year, and I was always going against traffic. PM me if you want more information about living in the area, and best of luck with your move!

Old 01-16-2010, 04:51 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,115,695 times
Floresville is building some new schools and is adding some programs to their curriculum (it's called Early College High School that includes college credits) plus you get the chance to have a good size of land to build a custom home on.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:28 AM

94 posts, read 360,866 times
Anywhere in the 78207 zip is great

Old 01-17-2010, 09:47 AM

759 posts, read 3,688,441 times
Well, I will "second" Deerfield and Inwood areas. 78248 is a fabulous location IMO and the schools are wonderful. Even though the homes are newer, the neighborhoods are well established and most of the homes are getting facelifts and small renovations. Plus, both neighborhoods are very child friendly... Deerfield probably more so than Inwood. (that said, I live in Inwood and have a 13 month old... and most families that move into this neighborhood also have children.) We love it here!

Old 01-17-2010, 10:12 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,786,434 times
Yeah there are kids with bikes all over the Deerfield neighborhoods anyway. It seems like a lot of the original (and second?) owners are moving out. I've seen an older couple who probably are getting to the point where they can't handle their own place anymore and also empty nesters who are downsizing. The people I know moving in are late 20s-early 30s married people for the most part. Either with kids or who have their first shortly after moving in.

Most of the houses I've seen sell are ones that people have done work on to keep it up with the times. There are just a couple that I know of that are pretty much a time machine back to 1993. These are the ones that didn't sell.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:27 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,685,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambo78253 View Post
Anywhere in the 78207 zip is great
Are you being serious? I don't want to turn this in to a "this area is unsafe versus this area is safe" thread but that would be one area I would avoid at all costs if I had small children. Areas north of 78207 - like the areas i mentioned previously -Alta Vista , Monte Vista, Woodlawn but that's not 78207.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:45 PM

9 posts, read 17,198 times
Have you moved yet? If not, I have some suggestions for you.
SueLaRue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio