Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:50 PM

45 posts, read 174,509 times

Advertisements

Well I moved there in 2007, then had some bad things happen in personal and family life, so i moved back to minnesota.. I want to get back down there again, I miss pretty much everything about it.. But the problem is this.. I have been In construction, and carpentry for 11 years now and have been a foreman for 2 of those years.. But the problem is San Antonio pays on AVG 55% less than I made up here.. I try to tell them my experiences and what Ive done, showed them resumes, pictures, customer references etc, But its just not the same down there in a construction sense.. By a long shot..

So that leaves me with one of my best traits, pretty much out the window.. Im 30 yrs old, and pretty much is the only thing I have done in my life, and if I move down there, I dont want it to be just to "get by" week to week, I want to make good $ and be happy.. I love retail, electronics, car and home audio, so that me be something as well. I have a friend I could stay with for 2-3 months until I could get on my feet, but I dont want to do what i did last time, Which was get down there THEN find a job..

I dunno everyone , all I know is I miss it there and i need to get back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 10:52 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
I don't know much about this... but I believe you would get paid more in Austin (based on what I've heard)

Old 01-15-2010, 11:11 PM

yea, I really want to live in SA, Its not even so much about making better $, but just making good money in SA, with the skills I have.. Hell even if I have to get a sales job at Best buy.. I wouldnt mind working at The Shops at La Cantera either.. love that "mall"

Old 01-15-2010, 11:28 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
You might look into going into business for yourself. Building decks, sheds, fences, etc.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:02 AM

yea i have been thinking about that for sure.. But like I said, I reaaaaalllly need to think ahead this time, and have a few ppl look for me down there, or i need to do some phone interviews from here to get things rolling again so I am all set and have a job 2-3 days after I get down there.. Is the job market pretty good down there still ? ecause its terrible up here, and I mean for EVERYthing

Old 01-16-2010, 01:01 AM

how about the real estate part of it? Or being a Super for one of the builders in the sub divisions? Just a thought

Old 01-16-2010, 09:45 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
Our real estate market is doing well, but builder starts are down right now. It'll probably be about another year or two before they pick back up. We need to soak up some of the inventory we've got before they can really get going again. People are still building, but not at the pace they were, so most of the builders have their supers set and don't need more. It's going to bounce back, but we're just not there yet.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Our real estate market is doing well, but builder starts are down right now. It'll probably be about another year or two before they pick back up. We need to soak up some of the inventory we've got before they can really get going again. People are still building, but not at the pace they were, so most of the builders have their supers set and don't need more. It's going to bounce back, but we're just not there yet.
Thats what I kind of thought, because in 2007 when i was down there, the subdivisions were going up like crazy, every few miles there was a mass of them, and until those are occupied and more ppl either move to SA or the demand for new homes goes up I can see it being slow..

I worked for a company called Williams nsulation when I was down there and built/installed wood/steel shelving, and Shower glass and mirrors.. It was fun actually , hot as hell but fun to see all the hi end homes basically fully finished, before anyone else.. Gives you alot of ideas when wanting to build your own

But like I said, I would have no problem just doing a $12/hr sales job r something to get some cash flow coming in at least, but its just trying to find a place.. One thing I was thinking of doing is trying to get in contact with some of the stores down there that do HomeTheater installation and building, which would be 2 things i really am into.. Basically anything modern electronics, Car and home audio, HT, building etc. hell i wouldn't even mingd doing sales at the apple or sony store, or best buy.. But it seems they are never hiring.. Possibly would like to work in the La Cantera/Rim area..

Maybe even bounce at a club lol, who knows.. all I know is that I want to get back down there and need to know where to start looking , cuz i want this to happen by around may of next year

Old 01-16-2010, 01:48 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
just FYI, most retail jobs are starting at about 8 bucks an hour, not $12. (Some do have commissions/bonus, tho, which can bump it up higher.)

Old 01-16-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
just FYI, most retail jobs are starting at about 8 bucks an hour, not $12. (Some do have commissions/bonus, tho, which can bump it up higher.)
yea, i meant with commissions and stuff, but $8? dayum... Its a whole new world down there when it comes to pay, but with the knowledge I have I would hope 12/hr isnt hard to find somewhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio