Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 12:43 PM

12 posts, read 50,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expander View Post
Las Brazas on Vance Jackson.

now its going to get even more packed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 09:40 PM

791 posts, read 3,959,992 times
I've also been one of those complaining about the lack of cool late night places to go... I mean, I love Mi Tierra, but how many times a week can you really go there? Fortunately, the E-N ran an article today featuring a LOT of late night places I'd never heard or or just wasn't aware how late they stay open. MySA.com: Lifestyle | Features (http://www.mysanantonio.com/salife/stories/MYSA042308.01Q.latedining.1425756.html - broken link)

Here's a brief excerpt from the article with some of the places listed:
Navona Caffé, 166 N. Loop 1604 E., open 8 a.m.-2 a.m. every day. Owner Zak Asad has created an Italian, slightly Middle Eastern, espresso bar/gelateria/pasticceria/restaurant/Internet café with an emphasis on quality and authentic Italian ingredients. Other hookah cafés/late-night dining destinations that feature Greek and Middle Eastern cuisine are the Jerusalem Grill (formerly Galaxy 21 and 22), 3259 Wurzbach Road across from Ingram Park Mall, 11 a.m.-3 a.m daily; the Sultan Café, 5625 Babcock Road, 6 p.m.-2 a.m. Monday-Thursday and 6 p.m.-3 a.m. Friday-Saturday; Cool Café Pasta & Crêpes, 12651 Vance Jackson Road, open until midnight Thursday-Saturday; Gypsy Café (2007 Critics Choice for Greek/Middle Eastern cuisine), 2813 Thousand Oaks Drive, 5 p.m.-1 a.m. Sunday-Thursday and 5 p.m.-2 a.m. Friday and Saturday; and Shisha Cafe (Persian for "glass," as in a hookah), 5500 Babcock Road, Suite 101, 6 p.m.-2 a.m Monday-Thursday., 6 p.m.-4 a.m. Friday-Saturday and 6 p.m.-1 a.m. Sunday.

Then there's España, Bar de Tapas, 5638 Hausman Road near Interstate 10. It serves Spanish fare until 11 p.m. each night with the bar staying open until 2 a.m. There's flamenco dancing on Saturday nights and several types of sangria not to mention a host of Spanish wines to give the place that much more authenticity.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:20 AM

164 posts, read 555,400 times
I too have a problem with the lack of late night eateries...but what do you expect? Those kiddies don't put themselves to bed at 9:00!

Here are some late-nighters I frequent:

-Liberty Bar usually serves past 12 midnight Thurs-Sun
-The new Luca at the Fairmont hotel serves till 2 am nightly
-Bin 555 serves late on weekends and (I think) on weekdays...and it's always an adventure to see "who lives out there in loopland"
-for cheap late night eats it's Las Salsas on San Pedro, or at Taqueria La Guadalahara on Roosevelt, south side baby!

Old 05-01-2008, 08:06 AM

163 posts, read 546,222 times
Quote:
Dude, that place is REALLY good, but scary. Last time I went there I saw a bum bleeding from him stomach and yelling at us. We went inside to tell the employees and they called an ambulance.

We lovingly refer to that place as "The Bloody Hobo" now.

Piedras Negras is open 24 hours and is really good. Personally I think Mi Tierra is the most overrated food in town.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:17 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,554,592 times
The Bloody Hobo! That's fabulous!! LOL!!

We gotta try Piedras Negras again. The only time we went there we were in the mood to be adventurous and ordered the cabrito. Wasn't the best cabrito we'd ever had (by a long shot!) and kinda set the tone for the place. Gotta give it another shot.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
The Bloody Hobo! That's fabulous!! LOL!!

We gotta try Piedras Negras again. The only time we went there we were in the mood to be adventurous and ordered the cabrito. Wasn't the best cabrito we'd ever had (by a long shot!) and kinda set the tone for the place. Gotta give it another shot.
Wow, that IS adventurous. I guess I'm boring because I always order enchiladas and judge the place by their beans. If your beans suck, you have no reason to stay in business.

Las Salsas is decent, but the food isn't as good during the day as it is late at night. I thought alcohol had something to do with it, but I was sober a few times too.

The crowd from The Saint and Heat go there so it makes for great cross-table conversations with the other drunkards.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,404 times
Default yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
has anyone ever tried lulus or las salas in monte vista
Lulu's is OK if you just want one of those chicken fried steaks that slops over the side of your plate. It's just ok; not great food, reasonably priced, sort of a Denny's with a diluted soupçon of local charm.

Salsa is pretty good to so-so to blecch, depending, I suppose, on sunspots or the conjunction of the planets.

In my experience, the best food below Hildebrand is not available after about 10pm. On the bright side, any eatery that stays in business beyond six months or so will be good enough, if you enjoy it with friends.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:51 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,366 times
Quote:
Great food and great price. It is perfectly safe and clean enough. Infact, I was in the area a few days ago and had to stop for some cheese enchiladas with extra onion... yummmm.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:48 PM

126 posts, read 425,206 times
Luther's on Main is now open until 3am weeknights and 4AM Fri, Sat.
Luther's Cafe

Old 05-01-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
Great food and great price. It is perfectly safe and clean enough. Infact, I was in the area a few days ago and had to stop for some cheese enchiladas with extra onion... yummmm.
Have you done the all-you-can-eat enchiladas during the day? That is awesome stuff!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio