Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 06:49 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,215 times

Advertisements

At about 4:45pm on my way towards I-10 on 410 East I saw a guy on a motorcycle climb up into a standing position on his bike, arms held out parallel to the ground. He stayed that way for three or four seconds before resuming his seat and driving off.

I looked like this: I was floored. Most reckless thing I've ever seen. I wish I could have gotten a picture or something but it happened too fast. I thought 410 could be a circus before, but this is really taking it to a new level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 07:15 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
It's called "stunting" and it's been going on for years. That particular move is called a "Crucifix" for the obvious reasons; other "tricks" are prolonged wheelies and nose wheelies, stopping with such force that that the rear wheel comes off the ground, and riding while sitting on the gas tank.

Usually these riders have great skills but poor judgment. It's great to watch these feats of skill in enclosed areas, but to do so on public roads is both stupid and illegal. As a sportbike rider, I don't condone it in public as it gives all of us motorcyclists a bad name.

But it is nothing unique to San Antonio, it's very common in urban areas such as Houston and Dallas as well. It is also big in states like California and Florida, but you can pretty much find it anywhere bikes are popular. It's also not limited to the sportbike crowd...although it is more common there, I have seen such antics by Harley riders as well!

Cheers! M2

Old 11-12-2010, 07:19 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,501,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
At about 4:45pm on my way towards I-10 on 410 East I saw a guy on a motorcycle climb up into a standing position on his bike, arms held out parallel to the ground. He stayed that way for three or four seconds before resuming his seat and driving off.

I looked like this: I was floored. Most reckless thing I've ever seen. I wish I could have gotten a picture or something but it happened too fast. I thought 410 could be a circus before, but this is really taking it to a new level.
Damn....and I thought I was doing good to take a sip of coffee without spilling it while driving my truck......

Old 11-12-2010, 07:19 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I have seen such antics by Harley riders as well!
Cheers! M2
<ahem>

Harley rider here, dude....we KNOW you sportbikers do that squid stuff ALL the time!

On a serious note, when you see it, call 911 and report it. They'll do it again in a few miles, and maybe there'll be a cop that could get in position. It amazes me that they're so self-centered as to do a stunt like that without concern for the safety of those around 'em.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:29 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,340,080 times
and i'll bet $10 he wasn't even wearing a helmet.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:31 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,505,520 times
I give those crazy jerks props, but if they happen to fall somewhere they are likely to end up in a wheel chair, but I have seen crazier things, In CA I was sitting on 605 North and in traffic two bikers were racing each other thru the cars LOL then a CHP Officer turned his lights at them but they blew him off that was awesome! cause they got away there was no way the cop was going to get them.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:43 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Yeah, I see them sometimes on IH35 late at night when I drive home. They drive superfast and it looks like that: ,

Of course they never wear the proper gear ( jacket/helmet) ...
Sadly such acrobatics by inexperienced youth can end like that:
(Graphic!!) Horrifying accident! 3-7 - Motorcycle Pictures - Stunt Bike & Motorcycle Stunt Forums - Stuntlife.com

Old 11-12-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
and i'll bet $10 he wasn't even wearing a helmet.
He was actually as far as I could tell - a helmet with several red hair-looking spikes in a mohawk stripe on top. He was also wearing some type of jacket at least. Where's my $10?

Not the a helmet would've kept him from being broken apart on the road if he'd lost control at the speed he was going.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:24 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
My college roommate did that on I35 and ended up crashing head first into someone's station wagon. He had a helmet and survived.

Now he's Tom Cruise' personal stuntman and did the bike stuff in Mission Impossible II.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Usually these riders have great skills but poor judgment. It's great to watch these feats of skill in enclosed areas, but to do so on public roads is both stupid and illegal. As a sportbike rider, I don't condone it in public as it gives all of us motorcyclists a bad name.
It was impressive, but mostly just scary until I saw him get back in the seat successfully. When I saw him first start to scramble to stand up on the bike I slowed down a bit, because I didn't know what he was doing yet but I knew it was definitely something weird and unsafe. I definitely wanted to be far enough back that maybe I wouldn't be involved if he wrecked the bike.

That was the only feeling I had before I saw what he was doing and was just too shocked to think anything else. If he had lost control, though, it would not only have been ugly for him but anyone else that wrecked trying to avoid him or collided with his bike. Not to mention I'm sure anyone that was watching him was VERY distracted from driving safely themselves, I sure was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio