U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 10:06 PM

872 posts, read 2,605,196 times

Advertisements

Regarding transportation - if the car is out of commission for a while, can you take the bus to school? I know there is no $$ right now, but if you have a bit left over from the grant from school, maybe you could use it for a bus pass? They do offer reduced fare for students. Is your grant contingent upon grades/attendance? (Sorry if that is a stupid question - I honestly don't know how grants work - somehow I never qualified for one when I was going to school... When I first started college, I was paying rent/utilities/bills, working full-time only making around $6 an hour - this was in the early 90s - and paying the tuition/books/fees not covered by my partial academic scholarship... and they said I made too much to qualify for a grant.)

Also, re: freelancing - Are you signed up with any of the websites to do freelance editing, writing, etc.? (Some of them also hire freelancers for tech stuff, translations...) It would probably be intermittent money coming in, but might be something to consider. It doesn't help right now, but in a couple of months Pearson will be hiring temporary workers to do composition scoring - this would be in case you already have your Bachelors and are going for a Masters since they do require a Bachelors degree, I think. They have a location in San Antonio but you can also do it online.

Good luck. I hope your situation turns around.

Last edited by buffy888; 01-19-2010 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: forgot about b.a./b.s. for Pearson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 10:34 PM

8 posts, read 7,547 times
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The pantry list was definently of help. I emailed those of you who did.

Today I was able to pull thru just a bit...So I pawned some pictures of mine, split the 10 bucks between gas to get to the police station and file charges and food. HEB had 4 pack tilapia fillets for cheap.

As for transportation, I thank God my car can atleast still move. The bus isn't an option. $5 of gas will get me further than $5 taking a bus, in which I have to come up with again the next day.

School grants, I rather not disclose those...but its different for everyone. My mom handles all of that so I dont even know LOL. I'm still dependent til Im like 24 I think?

All I know, is when this is alll done I'm leaving the area. I've never had this much trouble coming across money in the past. I've got 3 pawn reciepts at 3 different pawn shops...its ridiculous. I cannot live like this.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:07 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,022,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedingbutnotNeedy View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The pantry list was definently of help. I emailed those of you who did.

Today I was able to pull thru just a bit...So I pawned some pictures of mine, split the 10 bucks between gas to get to the police station and file charges and food. HEB had 4 pack tilapia fillets for cheap.

As for transportation, I thank God my car can atleast still move. The bus isn't an option. $5 of gas will get me further than $5 taking a bus, in which I have to come up with again the next day.

School grants, I rather not disclose those...but its different for everyone. My mom handles all of that so I dont even know LOL. I'm still dependent til Im like 24 I think?

All I know, is when this is alll done I'm leaving the area. I've never had this much trouble coming across money in the past. I've got 3 pawn reciepts at 3 different pawn shops...its ridiculous. I cannot live like this.

GO TO THE SAN ANTONIO FOOD BANK, in person and apply for EMERGENCY food stamps. They will make sure that you have everything you need before sending it off to the Texas Dept Health and Human Services.

Now here is the thing, you can get 3 months of food stamps ONLY every 3 years UNLESS you work 20 hours a week at minimum wage. Just FYI.

So If you haven't received or used up your 3 year allotment of foodstamps, go get them now.

Tell them you want to apply for "emergency assistance," since you have zero income. If you have to, go in person to the Texas Dept Health and Human Services location that you go to for your zipcode and stay there the whole day if you have to! They will NOT close their offices. They stay pass closing time to serve every single person who is there to get assistance whether it's for emergency assistance or not.

As for transportation, if you are student, at your college student services office you can get a Via Student "year long" discount card that is good from August 2009 to May 2010. With this discount card which is free...you need to purchase a "half fare" VIA pass for 15.00 (a month - every month you purchase a new one) and it's good for unlimited rides all day long, all month long. You have to show both the half fare pass and the student discount card every time you board the bus. You can "alternatively" just pay 55 cents (half fare from the 1.10 full fare) with only showing your discount card and not the half fare pass.

Last, go to my post that I put up about food assitance and READ THE ENTIRE POST!

It has really good information on places you can go to, and I have personally been to a good number of these places MOST of last year. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ssistance.html

Last edited by xsa210tx; 01-19-2010 at 11:16 PM..

Old 01-20-2010, 09:17 AM

615 posts, read 1,328,949 times
I've been in your EXACT same situation in college myself. I made it a few months off giving Plasma twice a week. 25 dollar first day, 20 dollars the second. 55 dollars a week doesn't sound like a lot... but it's enough to feed you.

Take that to an ALDI or knock-off supermarket and buy Mac and Cheese and Tuna fish. Both have a lot of protein, require hardly anything to cook, and will keep you full.

I hope this helps. Just remember, when you're down that low, things can only go up!

Old 01-20-2010, 11:59 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,476,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedingbutnotNeedy View Post
Please get involved in this process so you know how it works. It doesn't matter if you are still a dependent, you still have the right to get involved! Don't stay in the dark!

Old 01-20-2010, 06:11 PM

54 posts, read 131,779 times
I don't know how old you are, or if you are male or female, but you are too young to give up! I sent you a DM but didn't get a response. I know what it's like to struggle. I have been raising my 11 year old daughter on my own since she was 4 years old. I have gone without so she could have something to eat. Her mother hasn't called her in years. But, those days of going without are behind us. I am offering you a one time cash donation because that's the way we are. Waiting for the "system" sometimes seems like it takes forever. Actually it takes months. My daughter was touched by your post, and I remember those days. Let us know.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:34 PM

1,550 posts, read 3,076,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Please get involved in this process so you know how it works. It doesn't matter if you are still a dependent, you still have the right to get involved! Don't stay in the dark!
Yes Skeet you are right!! She may have had some extra money from the grant and didn't even know it because someone else is handing it. I hate for you to get a big suprise later on. Also you may need to learn how to stretch you food alot better. When I was in college a baked chicken that would last almost a week!! When you add fillers like rice, potatoes gravy from the drippings and a vegetable. And by Friday I would take the back of the chicken(adds wonderful favour) the wings and rice and make a large pot of soup by adding chicken broth, garlic and onions powder and the left over veggies...good eating!!! You can do this with any meat or fish...I still do it today and the way the economy is we all may have to start being creative in this area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or