U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 09:47 PM

30 posts, read 35,060 times

Advertisements

I understand San Antonio is surrounded by smaller cities like Converse, Universal City, Helotes and others. Are they all connected to San Antonio with residential and business areas to form one big metropolitan area or are they separated/isolated from it with big stretches of empty land? I know there are aerial photos but I can't make heads or tails of what I'm looking at. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,816 posts, read 33,147,671 times
Some of each. The Army's Camp Bullis is mostly wooded land that occupies hundreds of acres and separates San Antonio from Boerne to the north. Converse and Universal City are adjacent.

I'll let some the Northwest side residents chime in on Helotes, since they would know that area better than I do.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:18 AM

2,027 posts, read 6,355,036 times
Helotes city limits abut the San Antonio city limits (as do Selma, Live Oak, Von Ormy, Schertz, China Grove, Converse, Timberwood Park, Universal City, and Fair Oaks Ranch).

Much of I-10 is developed all the way through the Boerne city limits. Much of I-35 is developed well through New Braunfels. 281 is heavily developed towards Bulverde.

Other suburbs like Castroville, Somerset, Elmendorf, and Seguin have some undeveloped land between their city limits and the San Antonio city limits.

Other "suburbs" have actually become engulfed by San Antonio city limits: Kirby, Alamo Heights, Olmos Park, Terrel Hills, Leon Valley, Balcones Heights, Castle Hills, Shavano Park, Hill Country Village, Hollywood Park, and Windcrest.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:42 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,119,473 times
"big stretches of empty land?"

Take IH-10 High way 90 west a few hours if you want to see wide open spaces...

Helotes sits just outside of the SA city limits. On the south side, there is some county space in between the two, but for the most part they are adjacent to each other...

Old 01-19-2010, 10:19 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,773,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood_888 View Post
I understand San Antonio is surrounded by smaller cities like Converse, Universal City, Helotes and others. Are they all connected to San Antonio with residential and business areas to form one big metropolitan area or are they separated/isolated from it with big stretches of empty land? I know there are aerial photos but I can't make heads or tails of what I'm looking at. Thanks
Yes, all of those places are part of the contiguous San Antonio urbanized area. In other words, if you're driving down the road from San Antonio to those places, the development is continuous and you wouldn't even know you had left one city and entered the next if there weren't any signs telling you.

To the NE, the contiguous urban area extends as far as Cibolo now; one could even make a good argument that it goes all the way to New Braunfels. To the north, it almost makes it to Bulverde. To the NW, it extends to Fair Oaks, and again, one could argue it even reaches to Boerne now. Further west, Helotes is part of the the urban area, but it's at the very edge.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:22 PM

30 posts, read 35,060 times
It sounds like I won’t have any problem finding a quiet suburb yet a quick drive to the city, thanks.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:07 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,645,130 times
I can tell you about the East side.

Driving NE on I-35
continous all the way to Schertz
There's not much between Schertz and New Braunfels (They actually touch each other)
They are about 10 minutes away from each other on the highway.

Driving East on I-10
a few miles outside of the 410 loop, it looks like you are in the middle of nowhere.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:14 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,226,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I can tell you about the East side.

Driving NE on I-35
continous all the way to Schertz
There's not much between Schertz and New Braunfels (They actually touch each other)
They are about 10 minutes away from each other on the highway.

Driving East on I-10
a few miles outside of the 410 loop, it looks like you are in the middle of nowhere.
Well sorta. There are still exits every mile or so and there are quite a few houses as well. (all the way till you get east of Seguin) Their are not many subdivision's outside of 1604 just houses on a few acres.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:42 PM

197 posts, read 541,291 times
You have to drive through country land that is dotted by a few houses to get to the Bulverde area. The home out there have subdivions that all have acres. Deer are all the place. It's the country. Look into those subdivisions. Like Rim Rock Ranch, Oak Village North, and many others that I cannot remember the names of. The zip code is 78163....hope that helps.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,257 times
We are moving to the Cibolo, New Braunsfel area soon. Our realtor has 2 homes in Cibolo and I was wanting to know some more about the Subdivisions that the 2 home are in. One is the Belmont Park and the other is the Falcon Ridge subdivision. Is one better than the other and what is the difference between Cibolo and New Braunsfel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or