Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
yep, a good grocerty store would be great, I also have trouble finding an easy access way to downtown when friends are visiting. They don't find this area 'walkable' and the busess stop running too early. plus, no good parking downtown.
A grocery store would be great - I know there are people in the area trying to form a food cooperative. I also agree that the public transportation into downtown needs improving as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 04:34 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,844,926 times
Roy Bragg's opinion has changed but not by much.

Quote:
Many years ago, in a column or a blog or maybe a newsroom rant, I was fairly certain that the area south of downtown — next door to King William and dubbed Southtown by a developer — was going to continue to be a dodgy part of town.
Southtown is edgy, hip and, someday, transient - San Antonio Express-News

Old 03-09-2013, 05:16 PM

340 posts, read 583,421 times
So the clueless Mr. Bragg, who was incredibly wrong with his prediction of the future for Southtown, is being self righteous again and trying to to give another prediction about its future? Hmm, how funny.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:34 PM

I considered his insinuation that Southtown is not a place to raise families a more salient debate point than Mr. Bragg's fortune telling skills.

With Bonham right there as well as other kid-friendly activities in range he could be wrong.

His view that many are transient seems spot on since some Southtowners are not setting down roots but plan to move on.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:49 PM

Southtowners aren't setting roots? You do know Southtown is just the name for the area covering Lavaca and King William, right? Aside from the new apartments built south of bluestar, StB, and maybe the King William townhomes, those two neighborhoods are filled with homes people buy or bought with the intentions of setting roots.

Don't be fooled by people who don't live in Southtown who go there to eat or shop or whatever.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:40 PM

I am among those who clearly differentiate between King William and Southtown so we might not be discussing the topic from the same angle.

Have a good evening.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
I am among those who clearly differentiate between King William and Southtown so we might not be discussing the topic from the same angle.

Have a good evening.
Southtown is a name. There's really no "Southtown." It's branding for the King William, Lavaca neighborhoods. Most of the commercial area that separates the two neighborhoods is in King William. So basically what most call "Southtown" is actually King William. There is no differentiating. They're one in the same.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:16 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,515,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
I considered his insinuation that Southtown is not a place to raise families a more salient debate point than Mr. Bragg's fortune telling skills.

With Bonham right there as well as other kid-friendly activities in range he could be wrong.

His view that many are transient seems spot on since some Southtowners are not setting down roots but plan to move on.
And who might they be?

Go to a KWAKs event. You'll meet 30-40-50 families who have very much put down roots and have no plans to go anywhere. Ever. And definitely not to the suburbs just because they have kids. Not to mention those who have been there already for 3+ generations.

The article is full of misinformation and he has been called out on it. A retraction will be coming soon, or so he says. It's an embarrassment for the paper that they would publish an article with so many inaccuracies and a gross lack of research.

However one defines Southtown, the area he describes is King William, Lavaca, and SoFlo. Otherwise, "Southtown" is *just* the commercial corridor of S. St Mary's and S. Alamo, and since that is not residential, there's no point in discussing roots. However the businesses there are very much part of a community. I've already heard those in both camps of the nomenclature debate agree that Roy Bragg did no research for his article.

Last edited by Chaka; 03-09-2013 at 10:26 PM..

Old 03-10-2013, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samvp View Post
Southtown is a name. There's really no "Southtown." It's branding for the King William, Lavaca neighborhoods. Most of the commercial area that separates the two neighborhoods is in King William. So basically what most call "Southtown" is actually King William. There is no differentiating. They're one in the same.
King William has existed for a long time and regardless of the ultimate fate of Southtown I have a snaking suspicion that King William will continue to exist as is. The same way it has been for at least the few decades that I can recall.

You can define the areas as you wish as there will be variation when it comes to Southtown.

Roy Bragg's article clearly delineates this when he lists Southtown as, "next door to King William".

Quote:
Many years ago, in a column or a blog or maybe a newsroom rant, I was fairly certain that the area south of downtown — next door to King William and dubbed Southtown by a developer — was going to continue to be a dodgy part of town.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/life/lif...nt-4333209.php

San Antonio Magazine seems to differentiate between the two.

Quote:
Settled by German immigrants in the 1840s, the King William Historic District is one of the city’s most picturesque neighborhoods, bound by the river to the west and South St. Mary’s to the east. South Alamo Street serves as a commercial corridor between the pecan tree-lined residential streets with carefully restored Victorian-era mansions and Southtown’s mix of locally owned small businesses, galleries, lively pubs and restaurants.
Southtown and King William - San Antonio Magazine - July-August 2012 - San Antonio, TX

The San Antonio Business Journal notated this difference as well.

Quote:
A local partnership, known as St. Benedict's of SA Ltd., has put into play a plan to rehab the site that was previously the St. Benedict's Hospital and Nursing Home. The end goal: To create a hub for living, working and playing -- all within the heart of the King William Historic and the Southtown San Antonio Arts districts.
Developers breathe new life into former med site - San Antonio Business Journal

And the following map from our own city government labels them crudely yet differently.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/dtops/KingWilliamTrail.pdf

Last edited by Merovee; 03-10-2013 at 03:33 AM..

Old 03-10-2013, 05:38 PM

As I said before, most of the commercial area inbetween KW and Lavaca that is considered "Southtown" proper is in King William. Southtown for all intents and proposes is just the commercial center of King William. There's a reason the most recent attempt at rebranding Southtown didn't happen. The KWHA didn't allow it.

But though Southtown started as the name for the commercial area of King William, it has over the year, like Stone Oak, begun to cover areas outside of its original designation by no fault if its own.

When people say "Live in Southtown" we'll, they mean either King William or Lavaca. Even Mr. Baggy contradicts himself. He claims Sputhtown to be the commercial district next to King William then proceeds to say it become transient with residents who don't plan to settle roots. A commercial area can't really be transient, and I birve he makes mention of the homes being fixed up in Southtown, so he's obviously talking about King William and Lavaca.

Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio