Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:51 AM

245 posts, read 696,179 times

Advertisements

Do you know why the merger between HEB and Piggly Wiggly fell through? Because the resulting store name would have been Wiggly Buttes!

Was up in the Dallas area last weekend, where I used to live, sure felt weird walking into an Albertson's! All I've known for the last 4 years is HEB! But it felt good! I do love HEB, but seriously, San Antonio needs a little more diversity. All I know is HEB ran all the other stores out of business, and there are like 600+ of them in the city. For some reason milk costs me more on the South Side of town in a poorer neighborhood (where we attend church) than on the north side where I live. Doesn't make sense! Still like shopping there, though. But then again, I really don't have much of a choice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 09:17 AM

44 posts, read 124,477 times
HEB, the Godzilla of grocery stores. They first put another local chain, Handy Andy, virtually out of business, then ran Kroger's out, and finally ran Albertson's out of town. Each time they killed a competitor, they raised prices and customer service went down. Why spend money on customer service if you are almost the only show in town? No need to compete for "style points" if there are no other choices. Just try to get help with carry-out of your groceries at HEB, they look at you like you are asking them for a favor.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:24 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
I have never had a customer service issue with HEB and find their prices to be competitive. My son's GF works there and likes it. Her dad also works there and has for a long time and he likes it as well.
What we need here is a Meijer. Maybe that would clean out a lot of the wally worlds and it would definitely put some pressure on HEB and Target as well. I can't wait to go to one next month

Old 03-12-2010, 10:49 AM
mcl

70 posts, read 150,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
For the record, that would be Howard E. Butt, not Henry E. Butte. And it was originally C.C. Butt Grocery.
Could have been worse, his first name could have been Harry.
OT I know-sorry

Old 03-12-2010, 03:32 PM

522 posts, read 1,132,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medctrguy View Post
What really upsets me about HEB is that their prices are not the same throughout the city -especially the produce. For example, I can buy avocados at HEB Marketplace at 3 for $1, while the same avocados are $0.69 at the store closer to my house. This difference in price led me to think that Marketplace always had lower produce prices, but that is not true either. I know some might think the difference is minimal, but it really does add up over the course of a year.
YES! i hate to say it, and perhaps i am wrong, but it seems like there's an imbalance of good, produce and prices based on the store location. there's an heb near our house but we end up going to the "better" one because the produce is better.

i also mirror the sentiments of davi78239 and others: i miss having the choice, selection and competition of more than one or two MEGA grocery chains. i noticed there was better variety/quality of produce, brand choices and prices. heb isn't all that bad but sometimes it makes me wish for something better, and not needing to dive all the way across the city to get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasero View Post
Do you know why the merger between HEB and Piggly Wiggly fell through? Because the resulting store name would have been Wiggly Buttes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcl View Post
Could have been worse, his first name could have been Harry.
HAHA!

Old 03-12-2010, 03:54 PM

61,695 posts, read 87,101,195 times
"What really upsets me about HEB is that their prices are not the same throughout the city -especially the produce. For example, I can buy avocados at HEB Marketplace at 3 for $1, while the same avocados are $0.69 at the store closer to my house. This difference in price led me to think that Marketplace always had lower produce prices, but that is not true either. I know some might think the difference is minimal, but it really does add up over the course of a year."

The difference is even much bigger when you compare city to city!
That's why, when you go online to see coupons/specials, you need to input your zip code! Check different zip codes and you will see...
I also noticed that in "poor" areas of the city the prices are higher than somewhere else. I will not comment that

"HEB, the Godzilla of grocery stores. They first put another local chain, Handy Andy, virtually out of business, then ran Kroger's out, and finally ran Albertson's out of town. Each time they killed a competitor, they raised prices and customer service went down. Why spend money on customer service if you are almost the only show in town? No need to compete for "style points" if there are no other choices. Just try to get help with carry-out of your groceries at HEB, they look at you like you are asking them for a favor."

You need know how it works in other cities where they have competition! HEB will have much better coupons, points card, the prices are lower, more specials, promotions, tent sales, giving out samples etc. In other words - they are really kissing customers a**es, to make them prefer their store and not the competitors.
That what the HEB did here in San Antonio is really sad.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:00 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,678 times
On a positive note, our grocery bill actually dropped last week by 5% for the first time in years. Not sure if that will continue, but it was nice. I did notice some significant price drops on items we customarily purchase.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
On a positive note, our grocery bill actually dropped last week by 5% for the first time in years. Not sure if that will continue, but it was nice. I did notice some significant price drops on items we customarily purchase.
Make sure that those items are the same brand, size and weight

Old 03-12-2010, 08:38 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Make sure that those items are the same brand, size and weight
I did. They were, and I was very surprised. Scratching my head and wondering why...

Old 03-12-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
I did. They were, and I was very surprised. Scratching my head and wondering why...
There is a catch... somewhere. You will find out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio