U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 03:34 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,345,946 times

Advertisements

It could be worse.. look at the incident with those houses on Medina Base Rd. a few years ago. That was a huge mess and the builder fought it tooth and nail. However, I completely blame the people that moved there for that one. I've driven down that road many times and always notice all the high water signs.
I would suck to have people laughing about the situation, but sometimes that's all you can do when the situation is too bad to do anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 03:40 PM

3,702 posts, read 16,332,146 times
So, is it a sinkhole or is the cliff collapsing? Two different things entirely.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea1027 View Post

[color=black][font=Verdana]Unfortunately I must disagree, as a homeowner on that hill who was evacuated this morning Centex has handled this entire situation poorly. The gentlemen on site had no clue what was going on, were even seen laughing and shrugging saying "I have no idea how to fix this".
I would not blame the folks for laughing. Sometimes high tension issues can only be relieved by finding something absurd about the situation to distract you and cause you to laugh. I have watched emergency responders for years and seen this a number of times. I am sure folks in your position find this appalling but it is not intended to demean or hurt the victims, it is more to keep responders on an even keel and allow them to take a step back from the situation. I suspect in this case, the person who you are speaking of had never seen such a problem and was thinking "holy....what can I do about this?" and was laughing at himself to relieve a growing panic. It certainly doesn't sound they are taking the situation lightly.

I am sorry that this happening to your family. I hope they can stabilize the situation enough that you can at least retrieve all your belongings. I am sure you will not feel comfortable in that home again even if the situation is salvagable (doesn't look good from the pictures).

Old 01-24-2010, 05:08 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,161,843 times
Correction, I just watched the KENS 5 video on this and it is indeed a landslide and not a "sinkhole." It appears the 40' retaining wall is failing causing the problem, and that CENTAX is responsible. I see some serious lawsuits as a result of this...as it does not appear "fixable" based on what I can see. Also, CENTEX's handling of the problem previously (simply filling cracks in the retaining wall) is ridiculous, those are indications of much bigger issues and was improperly handled.

All the best to the families affected by this, I hope you are already talking to your lawyers...

Last edited by majormadmax; 01-24-2010 at 05:41 PM..

Old 01-24-2010, 05:54 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,209,949 times
Here's a Twitter feed you can follow with several sources providing the latest updates... Twitter

Old 01-24-2010, 06:15 PM

Wow! I think there are going to be worse problems real soon since the integrity of that sewer lines is probably breached. Folks better watch out for a sewage back up in their homes as well.

That retaining wall looked pretty insubstantial for its height. Seems it should have been alot thicker.

So sorry for the folks above and below.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:49 PM

10,864 posts, read 11,934,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea1027 View Post

Unfortunately I must disagree, as a homeowner on that hill who was evacuated this morning Centex has handled this entire situation poorly. The gentlemen on site had no clue what was going on, were even seen laughing and shrugging saying "I have no idea how to fix this". After talking to several other neighbors it was found out that they (Centex) has known this retaining wall has never been safe. An engineer was brought out and Centex was informed that the wall was not structurally sound and would one day collapse. Yet they still continued to build homes on the lots and charge a premium between $6,000-$10,000 because we were on that hill. One homeowner had a Centex representative out at his home as recent as Friday 1/22 because the ground was separating from his foundation and was told this was happening because he had not watered his yard enough, he now has a 20 foot hole under his home.

This morning we were given minutes to grab what we could from our homes and be forced out with little information, besides there’s a sinkhole and you can go to a hotel.

So no Centex has not taken swift action they have left many people without homes and answers.
Sounds like you just made some pretty bold comments based on hearsay alone.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:55 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,377,206 times
I looked at Google map and not sure, but is this that neighborhood that sits up on the cliff behind the HEB there on Bandara Road that they built a few years back where they just stripped the entire area down to the rock???

Anyone that saw that area that I am speaking of (but don't know the name of) would certainly remember...kinda looked like a quarry when they were preping (destroying) the area...all the dirt, trees, everything was scrapped down to the rock level.

If so, they must have piled a LOT of dirt to get it to shift like that. It sure appeared to be all rock from the view headed down 1604.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:01 PM

4,088 posts, read 6,105,232 times
The reporter for Channel 12 News is tweeting that the slope is moving about 1" every fifteen minutes...yikes !!!

Old 01-24-2010, 07:12 PM

2,216 posts, read 3,993,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Sounds like you just made some pretty bold comments based on hearsay alone.
I would not say this is hearsay. The individual has a home there and was there to see and be impacted by it. I call that first hand knowledge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio