U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 02:32 PM

12 posts, read 26,049 times

Advertisements

TexasVines
You are incorrect; it is not just health care, aka medical malpractice reform. It is the homebuilding industry that perfected the strategy of Tort Reform. Texans for Lawsuit Reform (TLR) was founded by the Weekley boys, Richard and David of Weekley Homes. Its most prolific financier is Bob Perry of Perry Homes.

It was the homebuilders that came to the rescue of the doctors to champion the medical professions cause. However, with the cry of medical malpractice reform TLR - the building industry - championed the campaign to help themselves. Under the radar the Weekley boys quietly fashioned the Residential Construction Liability Act (RCLA) for the purpose of limiting liability for defective construction in in new homes, in an attempt to obliterate consumer protection law.

In 2003 TLR, the builders brazenly spent $9 million to further amend RCLA which effectively abolished homebuyer’s right of protection under Deceptive Trade Practices (DTPA) and built a new state agency for themselves, called the Texas Residential Construction Commission so they could actually regulate homebuyers. Last year Texas Lawmakers abolished the shameful agency because it protected bad builders and did more harm than good to homeowners.

Loves2read is not stupid. He is absolutely correct and that is why most of the folks who bought Centex Homes in Rivermist won't be able to get fair damages for being taken advantage of... and the reason they are not hiring attorneys to file lawsuits. Instead Rivermist homeowners are taking their shocking story to the court of public opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 03:33 PM

410 posts, read 1,495,429 times
It's the wild and woolly west when it comes to new home construction in Texas. The only person with any liability when it comes to shoddy work in Texas is the homeowner. The builders get off scott free and the elected officals in this state could not care less about the lives of constituents in my opinion.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:17 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,828,147 times
So... about that slope. I'm an engineer - what kind of stabilization is going on? Any signs of the new wall? Are they going to demo the existing wall? What about the house(s) up at the top - any construction or demo going on there?

Old 02-21-2010, 08:39 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,159,872 times
SS

It's been two weeks, might be time for me to head out there again and take some new pics!

I'll try and get out there this week, after the arctic blast hits on Tuesday!

Cheers! M2

Old 02-22-2010, 03:34 AM

Thanks for the pics mmm. Be careful though.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:58 AM

178 posts, read 386,434 times
You are correct scammed. One of the worst things to happen to homeowners is the developers creating and controlling homeowners associations before any homes are sold, thereby pre-empting the formation of an HOAR by the homeowners. When I bought my first house, which was in SA and in the '70s, we homeowners formed an association on our own. We created it specifically to do battle with the developer and builders. Our small subdivision was nearing build out when the developer suddenly put up yellow tape around our pool and common area and announced it's closure. He then let it be known that the pool and clubhouse were to be demolished and the final few homes built on that property. There were also issues with new home warranty work. Once the HOA had a large enough membership, they went to work on those issues. Signs complaining about the developer and builders went up in yards all throughout the subdivision and drove them crazy. At about the same time, I think, homeowners in some Ray Ellison subdivisions were taking a similar tactic action over warranty work. Our developer gave in, offering to sell the common areas to the HOA at a bargain price. That's the reason today why most HOAs have restrictions on signs and flags in owner's yards - we effectively used them against the developers and builders.

Nowadays the developers take control of the HOA from the get go and incorporate master covenants and restrictions that pretty well guarantee the HOA can never be used against them. They are just money cows for bottom feeders like Associa and attorneys.

These folks are lucky in one sense. Their problem made headlines. That will get them some relief, unlike a single home with foundation or other serious problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scammed1 View Post
It's the wild and woolly west when it comes to new home construction in Texas. The only person with any liability when it comes to shoddy work in Texas is the homeowner. The builders get off scott free and the elected officals in this state could not care less about the lives of constituents in my opinion.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:20 AM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,025,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector28 View Post
You are correct scammed. One of the worst things to happen to homeowners is the developers creating and controlling homeowners associations before any homes are sold, thereby pre-empting the formation of an HOAR by the homeowners. When I bought my first house, which was in SA and in the '70s, we homeowners formed an association on our own. We created it specifically to do battle with the developer and builders. Our small subdivision was nearing build out when the developer suddenly put up yellow tape around our pool and common area and announced it's closure. He then let it be known that the pool and clubhouse were to be demolished and the final few homes built on that property. There were also issues with new home warranty work. Once the HOA had a large enough membership, they went to work on those issues. Signs complaining about the developer and builders went up in yards all throughout the subdivision and drove them crazy. At about the same time, I think, homeowners in some Ray Ellison subdivisions were taking a similar tactic action over warranty work. Our developer gave in, offering to sell the common areas to the HOA at a bargain price. That's the reason today why most HOAs have restrictions on signs and flags in owner's yards - we effectively used them against the developers and builders.

Nowadays the developers take control of the HOA from the get go and incorporate master covenants and restrictions that pretty well guarantee the HOA can never be used against them. They are just money cows for bottom feeders like Associa and attorneys.

These folks are lucky in one sense. Their problem made headlines. That will get them some relief, unlike a single home with foundation or other serious problems.
And it's becoming more common the last few years that control of the HOA is turned over to the homeowners when 100% of the homes are sold. Not 70%-80% in previous years.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:35 PM

178 posts, read 386,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
And it's becoming more common the last few years that control of the HOA is turned over to the homeowners when 100% of the homes are sold. Not 70%-80% in previous years.
Yup, in the one I'm in now, even that point is insignificant. The master covenants and restrictions can only be changed by a 90% in favor vote of all the homeowners. That is 90% of ALL homeowners, not 90% of the those voting. What are the odds of a 90% turnout and all of them in favor of something? The master CCRs are carved in stone.
Some aspects of that are good. We would never have a house with a commercial sign out front, but on the other hand, things like solar collectors, visible water collection devices (rain barrels), and even drought tolerant grass are not permissible.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:15 AM

Vector 28 and RGJ
Do you mean something like this?

My9 Condo Builder Nightmare (http://www.my9tv.com/dpp/my9_news/nj_videos/My9-condo-builder-nightmare - broken link)

Old 02-23-2010, 09:01 AM

30,065 posts, read 47,312,423 times
Loves2read is actually a female--but thanks for the kudo anyway...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio