U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 08:56 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,109,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
majormadmax, i must have just missed you, i stopped through rivermist yesterday too. the debris pickup guys were around blocking streets.
Actually, we may have passed each other, as they were collecting while we were there too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 12:50 PM

410 posts, read 1,493,123 times
Here is what the city and Centex/Pulte are going to do to fix the wall.
I am sure the homeowners are delighted.

Planning & Development Services Department

Old 03-17-2010, 02:44 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,990,051 times
Sounds like a pretty decent initial step. It will provide some long-term stabilizing effect as well. Key there is that the wall itself is still being designed - that means that they realize they need to do some real design work on it, rather than just slapping something up.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:07 PM

Wonder how much other homes have been devalued in the subdivision?

Old 03-17-2010, 06:25 PM

Houses started failing after retaining wall failure.

Rivermist crack may be causing widespread foundation issues | kens5.com | San Antonio News, Weather, Sports, Traffic, Entertainment, Video and Photos

Old 03-21-2010, 08:31 PM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,015,402 times
and now this....why? Seems like Pulte is trying to do the right thing. They inherited this problem from Centex when Pulte bought Centex. Don't they know that Pulte is not going to buy every house in the subdivision back and they are only hurting themselves? Now, If I were a realtor, banker, appraiser, inspector, I wouldn't touch any homes in this area with a ten foot pole

Rivermist residents' message to buyers: Beware the Pulte pigs | kens5.com | San Antonio News, Weather, Sports, Traffic, Entertainment, Video and Photos

Old 03-21-2010, 08:54 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,109,630 times
Pulte is buying back 27 of the homes, which appears to be everyone directly affected by the landslide when you look at a map of where it all occurred.

However, I think the protesters are those who are indirectly affected by all this. I am sure home values in this subdivision have dropped for everyone, as this is not an incident that people quickly forget.

Still, to think the builder will buy out all homes is ridiculous; so basically those who were not directly affected by the buy-out are in a no-win situation.

Sucks, but there it is. However, these acts are not going to help their cause.

Cheers! M2

Old 03-21-2010, 09:29 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,990,051 times
It reminds me of some m/c owners when a well-known maker was found to have some pretty serious frame issues. They moaned, groaned and kvetched all over the internet, THEN acted surprised when the resale value dropped by a good 20% over their historical averages. Thankfully, I'd already sold mine by then - but you still see 'em complainin'.
IMO, the other homes in the area aren't physically affected by the issue, and if we were looking to buy a home, I'd be in there seein' how cheaply I could steal one.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:26 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,794,568 times
No joke - one of the unaffected houses would probably make a great rental.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:07 AM

12 posts, read 26,003 times
Do any of you realize how much expansive clay fill went into Rivermist? It is well known that the first wall failed and was rebuilt in 2007. Rep David Leibowitz’s office asked the River authority and the city to look into it in 2007. The City knew about it and in fact city officials visited the subdivision about so much soil being hauled in there. There is anywhere from 10 feet to 30+ feet of expansive clay soil fill that was hauled in throughout the community. Treewell Glen the most famous street where the entire hillside is braking up is a manufactured hill with a street plus houses on either side, which was created with over 30 feet in depth of un-compacted fill to create Cliffside lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio