U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:44 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,175,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Thanks, M2 - was wondering what was goin' on over there now!
Yeah, me too; which is why I stopped by there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 10:10 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,376,325 times
Great pictures M2!

You know, just seeing those big electrical boxes in the middle of every other house would be enough to turn me away. At lease they could of put them in the back yards...of course, they probably would have gone down the hill.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:01 AM

1,365 posts, read 3,980,794 times
As alot of people know we live in a Centex neighborhood, not Rivermist, but another one...

Anyway, I was talking to the guy who is in charge of our neighborhood during construction, not sure of the correct termology for his position, site foreman maybe??? So I asked about the Rivermist buy outs and he said that there were actually alot of home owners there who did not want the buy out, they just wanted their house back... He gave me the numbers, I forget what they are... but it was about 1/2 of the homeowners who choose to not accept the buyout... He said there were deals worked out to move the homeowners out of the hotels and into apartments to wait for their homes... I found that interesting...

He also said that most of the picketers were not the homeowners themselves, but were those in the middle of the neighborhood, who wanted buy outs due to loss of property value...

Lastly, I believe those green boxes have to be in the front yards now... To make it easier for CPS to access, should they need to... My inlaws live in a $350k home and they have a green box in their yard... They are not pretty, but atleast they can be landscaped around...

Old 07-19-2010, 05:39 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,175,589 times
mrstxcop

I can understand that, the houses on top of the hill have a very nice view and if it weren't for this slope failure, I am sure they would be very desirable.

However, there is no doubting that this incident put a huge dent in the value of those homes. Personally, if they fix the slope and it has been verified that this kind of problem won't happen again, then I don't see why the houses can't return to their market values. But as we all know, that won't happen and while returning may seem like a good idea now; I suspect it won't be down the road if and when they ever decide to sell their homes.

I truly sympathize with the homeowners in that subdivision, the ones I spoke to early on seemed reasonable and only wanted things to be made right. I didn’t talk to anyone who appeared to want to exploit the situation, and I was impressed with how calm they were about the whole thing considering I would probably be wanting to rip someone’s head off for allowing such severe buffoonery to occur. It does not surprise me that the owners want to return to their homes, I just hope they are taking care of in the long run…

Cheers! M2

Old 07-19-2010, 08:57 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,840,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
Lastly, I believe those green boxes have to be in the front yards now... To make it easier for CPS to access, should they need to... My inlaws live in a $350k home and they have a green box in their yard... They are not pretty, but atleast they can be landscaped around...
I always thought it depended on where the easement was... I really prefer it in the back yard. Especially somebody else's back yard.

Anyway good to see more pics. I'm surprised how many places they cleared out. They probably let the people that own the houses in to get their stuff... right?

Old 07-19-2010, 09:29 AM

1,365 posts, read 3,980,794 times
^^^ I completely agree Steve... I would have loved those boxes in the backyard... I asked about it when we were building in 2008 and we were told it was "code" now to have them up front... That any house built after a certain year, 2006 maybe?, had to have them in the front... Not sure if this is true though...

Old 07-19-2010, 10:48 AM

475 posts, read 971,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
^^^ I completely agree Steve... I would have loved those boxes in the backyard... I asked about it when we were building in 2008 and we were told it was "code" now to have them up front... That any house built after a certain year, 2006 maybe?, had to have them in the front... Not sure if this is true though...
Since the utility easements are planned well before houses are actually built in a given new subdivision, perhaps all new developments may have this requirement.

It certainly cannot be when a particular house is built since there are many new homes I have seen built recently that still have utility boxes in the back.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:13 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,344,996 times
I would prefer the boxes in the front. I once had a cable guy waltz into my backyard (saw him from a side window) unannounced. If I had not been there it would have scared the crap out of my wife/kids.

I did confront the guy, who wasn't able to provide proper ID, and had him leave. He came back later that day with ID, and after reviewing the work order and talking with my neighbor to confirm the work order I let the guy into the yard. I sat there and watched him the entire time he was out there. It also was a good lesson to my kids as to why I ask them to lock the gate when they're done in the yard.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:41 PM

6,277 posts, read 9,047,308 times
Don't blame you a bit! All our utilities are via the front, with NO reason for them to EVER access the back yard, which is one of the reasons we bought where we did.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:11 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,376,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I always thought it depended on where the easement was... I really prefer it in the back yard. Especially somebody else's back yard....
Roger that. My neighbor has the big box in his small back yard. I have a very small circular cable box in the far left side of my large yard. A couple of times my neighbor had problems and the TWC rep came to our house to ask permission to access the box. They also upgraded my connections at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio