U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,825 posts, read 33,229,869 times

Advertisements

Here's a link to a some video clips from the scene. You can see a homeowner gathering up belongings while the police, firefighters and a TV news photographer make sure the place is safe.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 01:10 PM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,028,859 times
I'm curious about how this works. What happens if you refuse to leave? Can they arrest you? What about those people that ride out a hurricane? Is it a similar situation?. What a horrible thing to have the police knock at your door and tell you that you have to leave immediately. What do you take with you?

Old 01-25-2010, 01:33 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
I'm curious about how this works. What happens if you refuse to leave? Can they arrest you? What about those people that ride out a hurricane? Is it a similar situation?. What a horrible thing to have the police knock at your door and tell you that you have to leave immediately. What do you take with you?
According to the news last night, the exact wording was "If it doesn't breathe, it doesn't leave." That means only people and pets were evacuated yesterday.

Today, I imagine they were given a certain number of minutes to gather up whatever was important. It looked like the homeowner was putting the things she collected in a garbage bag.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:33 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,839,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea1027 View Post
One homeowner had a Centex representative out at his home as recent as Friday 1/22 because the ground was separating from his foundation and was told this was happening because he had not watered his yard enough, he now has a 20 foot hole under his home.
Well... guess they should've watered a lot more!

Can you see that hill from the highway? I remember pointing out to the wife that it seemed like a really bad place to build because you can only modify the land so much...

Old 01-25-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrotha View Post
Actually its Centex Homes that developed that neighborhood.
I had forgotten about this merger, but was reminded when I heard today on the radio that Pulte now owns Centex.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:43 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,980,428 times
Yes Steve, you can see the hill from the highway... But the side seen from the highway is not moving, yet... It's at the entrance if the neighborhood to the left where it is failing...

This make me wonder about all the homes I have been seeing going up recently (different builders)... In my in-laws neighborhood there are homes on a steep hill built on the edge on a canyon... A very high canyon... It is literally the back fence and then the drop... Or the homes out, is it old babcock??? On the right side... Stucco looking homes with HUGE retaining walls...

I wonder if builders will be calling out for additional inspections now...

Old 01-25-2010, 01:44 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,188,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
This is a very gray area of the law. From a news story I saw once, you can not be forced to leave your house unless you are deemed a threat to the public. But these situations are usally chaotic and the athorities end up doing whatever they want and it becomes pointless to fight or argue it.

So a word to the wise, if you are event in such a situation, dont answer the door...keep your car in the garage...load it up with the important stuff then open the garage door and drive out.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:33 PM

556 posts, read 1,835,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
So a word to the wise, if you are event in such a situation, dont answer the door...keep your car in the garage...load it up with the important stuff then open the garage door and drive out.
I like the way you think! And suspect I'd be breaking some unknown law if one of these homes were mine

In all seriousness - I hope these families are given the opportunity to remove their cars and necessary items for daily work/school while the details are being sorted out.....sending best wishes to all with homes in this area. I suppose we can be thankful there were no injuries or loss of life thus far.....I shudder to consider the prospect of a toddler playing on a swingset in one of these backyards that morning.....

Old 01-25-2010, 03:37 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,173,551 times
OK, just got back from "checking this out;" and I was lucky as I got in before the SAPD closed off the entire neighborhood (they are checking ID to see if you have an address in it).

You can't go to the section that is up on the hill, they've had that closed for a while from what several residents told me; but you can see a lot from below the problem and it is a mess! For one, I may not be a structural engineer but in my amateur opinion that wall was bound to fail! It only appeared to have been 12-18" thick and there were several areas that were cracking badly. Secondly, there was a pretty severe slope in the backyards of the homes along the ridge already, meaning a lot of pressure on what was already an overstressed situation. Building more homes up there only worsened the situation.

The folks along the bottom of the cliff were allowed to return to their homes to retrieve their belongings; but their houses have "Crime Scene - Do Not Cross" tape all across them. There is also half of the SAPD out there, it'd be a good time to hoist a liquor store if you were so inclined.

I did get a bunch of pics and some video which I will post up shortly, hopefully it will show how bad it was. Still, to me it doesn't look like any of the houses are in any immediate danger unless we get some heavy rain. They have several huge pieces of heavy equipment in the back yards trying to stabilize the situation, so it if was that precarious I doubt they would risk such expensive machines. Still, all the folks I talked to were sure this would drop their home values dramatically, even if they weren't near the problem area. I talked with a guy at the opposite end of the neighborhood, where the wall was the shortest, and even he pointed out the faults in it (several cracks, dirt eroding away underneath it, and water seepage)...

Stay tuned, pics and videos to follow...

Cheers! M2

Old 01-25-2010, 03:47 PM

276 posts, read 868,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
... water seepage.
Well, there's two words you don't wanna hear. That's an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio