Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:16 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,304,433 times

Advertisements

no...that's poltergeist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 07:19 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,884,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabseH View Post
I'm not quite as close to the NSA as the garage door people, but my (remote control) ceiling fan/light keeps going off and on at will. I wonder... LOL
That is something else...I think rd2007 knows how to fix it, and I'm being serious. I remember him talking about something like that and having to disconnect his doohickey and reattach the thingamajig. Or something.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:21 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,487,079 times
if you want a stonger signal on your remotes just keep the battery(ies) fresh. as batteries get old the signal becomes very weak.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:46 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,890,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
That is something else...I think rd2007 knows how to fix it, and I'm being serious. I remember him talking about something like that and having to disconnect his doohickey and reattach the thingamajig. Or something.
But that's his solution for a lot of things...

Old 01-27-2010, 07:53 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,952,912 times
The same thing happened a few years ago in MD. Aberdeen Proving Grounds installed a transmitter that knocked out all houses in a several-mile radius.

--Dim

Old 01-27-2010, 07:54 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,328,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I remember him talking about something like that and having to disconnect his doohickey and reattach the thingamajig.

Sounds like something I did this weekend. Bada boom bada bing!

Old 01-27-2010, 09:41 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,739,244 times
I am one of those that are affected. My garage door needs the car to be directly in front it, almost to the point of kissing it in order for it to bloody open. It started last week and when that happened our dog too seem to have gone a little weird as well. I wonder if the signal is affecting dogs in the area too?

Old 01-27-2010, 09:52 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,159,122 times
No wonder my garage door stopped working last week. NSA is about three blocks away....They can buy me a new garage door opener if they wish.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:39 PM

18,044 posts, read 25,080,159 times
In few words...
the homeowners are screwed and will have to go and get new garage door openers.

Wikipedia says that garage door openers use frequencies 300-400Mhz.
Says that the newer generation garage door openers use 300-315Mhz to avoid interference from "DOD radio mobile system" that operates at 390Mhz.
Garage door opener - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The interferences between these 2 are mentioned here
Land Mobile Radio System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the quote shown in wikipedia about it
U.S. GAO - Potential Spectrum Interference Associated with Military Land Mobile Radios

To address homeland defense needs and comply with government direction that agencies use the electromagnetic spectrum more efficiently, the Department of Defense (DOD) is deploying new Land Mobile Radios to military installations across the country. The new Land Mobile Radios operate in the same frequency range--380 Megahertz (MHz) to 399.9 MHz--as many unlicensed low-powered garage door openers, which have operated in this range for years. While DOD has been the authorized user of this spectrum range for several decades, their use of Land Mobile Radios between 380 MHz and 399.9 MHz is relatively new. With DOD's deployment of the new radios and increased use of the 380 MHz-399.9 MHz range of spectrum, some users of garage door openers have experienced varying levels of inoperability that has been attributed to interference caused by the new radios. Nevertheless, because garage door openers operate as unlicensed devices, they must accept any interference from authorized spectrum users. This requirement stems from Part 15 of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations.

For their part, manufacturers are offering retrofit kits to change the frequencies of existing garage door openers that would cost consumers $50 to $80, excluding installation. Furthermore, for new devices, one manufacturer is moving off of the 390 MHz spectrum range, and another plans to go to a multi-frequency approach using 390 MHz and other spectrum in order to minimize potential interference problems in the future.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:47 PM

197 posts, read 603,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabseH View Post
I'm not quite as close to the NSA as the garage door people, but my (remote control) ceiling fan/light keeps going off and on at will. I wonder... LOL

My cats step on the bedroom remote and turn my lights and fan on in the night.....it freaked me out a little at first until I figured out it was just my little nocturnal beasts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio