U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 08:46 PM

4,089 posts, read 6,112,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Or educated, experienced in this field, and knows better than to believe everything the local news reports!
Three years with the "old" USAFSS...I know the difference..y tu ???...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 09:44 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,827 posts, read 33,243,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantpad View Post
This is ridiculous. I'm going to guess that 1,000 people are impacted by this. So the community is going to spend about $100,000 because the government can't change their frequency?? Where is this country headed?
Let me put this in perspective... The same government you're seeking sympathy from made hundreds of TV stations spend millions of dollars apiece to change frequencies and change to digital broadcasting in the last few years. It also made millions of dollars worth of analog TVs in consumers' homes obsolete about a year ago. That should prove that $100,000 is not a concern to the government when there is a need to better utilize frequencies.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Let me put this in perspective... The same government you're seeking sympathy from made hundreds of TV stations spend millions of dollars apiece to change frequencies and change to digital broadcasting in the last few years. It also made millions of dollars worth of analog TVs in consumers' homes obsolete about a year ago. That should prove that $100,000 is not a concern to the government when there is a need to better utilize frequencies.
The government made the TV stations move because they wanted the frequencies to lease out for communications. A whistleblower broke the news. It involved money...lots of it. It's becoming more apparent that the government is not working for the people anymore and has it's own agenda. Right now they're making friends wherever they go....

Old 03-30-2010, 03:51 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,181,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Three years with the "old" USAFSS...I know the difference..y tu ???...
12+ years in ESC/AFIC/AIA...so yeah, I do too...

Old 03-30-2010, 06:49 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,725,586 times
Quote:
The government made the TV stations move because they wanted the frequencies to lease out for communications. A whistleblower broke the news. It involved money...lots of it. It's becoming more apparent that the government is not working for the people anymore and has it's own agenda. Right now they're making friends wherever they go....
People complain just for complaining,
even when they actually benefit from whatever change was made.

To put it in few words,
making TV stations go digital frees bandwidth that can be leased and make a profit and provide better wireless communications for everybody.

Digital TV switch set for early 2009 - CNET News

By the time of the 2009 switch, the government will have auctioned the remaining spectrum to companies interested in deploying wireless technologies. The proceeds are estimated at about $10 billion by the Congressional Budget Office. The auction is supposed to begin no later than Jan. 7, 2008.

"It's just about the best Christmas present that I can think of coming to the tech sector from the public policy process," said Janice Obuchowski, executive director of the High Tech DTV Coalition, a group of 19 trade associations and technology companies including AT&T, Dell, Cisco Systems, IBM, Intel, Microsoft and Texas Instruments. "It's really great spectrum, and it's going to yield some great applications."

Analog TV signals use the 700MHz frequency band, meaning that by nature, they travel farther than those on bands used by the wireless and electronics industries today. Reusing that spectrum could mean easier and cheaper deployment of broadband networks--and translate to more affordable, widespread high-speed Internet access for consumers.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:13 AM

6,279 posts, read 9,052,748 times
And heavens knows, folks like Time Warner would NEVER use it to turn extra revenue....the fact that the new HD channels are ABOVE the ones most of the current TV's can tune to, thereby requiring you to get a box-top convertor in order to view the channels you used to be able to view was pure chance.
Oh - more than one TV? THAT one you hafta pay $5/mo for....oh, but look - with it, you can get all these nifty "pay-per-view" channels, too!!

Pure coincidence....ignore the man behind that curtain!

Old 03-30-2010, 09:26 PM

166 posts, read 526,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
I saw that someone created a fix. He took some speaker wire (copper) and spliced it into the wire antenna that hangs down from the garage door motor. He then ran the speaker wire to where it was outside the house. Supposedly, his door and several neighbors worked from this fix.

I also saw this on the news. It worked.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:32 PM

Modifying mine tomorrow...will post results here.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:02 AM

3 posts, read 3,071 times
Quote:
Modifying mine tomorrow...will post results here.
Didn't work. I added 50 feet of wire straight down my driveway.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:03 AM

3 posts, read 3,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
You need to go back and read through this thread, Federal law and the FCC give the DoD priority to use this frequency. Sign as many petitions as you want, it isn't going to change a thing...
What I am saying is that this is just wrong. It does not surprise me when citizens become so enraged at the US government when they pull stunts like this. They are servants of the people, but rarely act like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio