U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 04:32 PM

14,626 posts, read 31,210,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz808 View Post
No, they don't help at ALL unless you want to live on base which is very expensive and not very nice. I've been looking for a realtor but haven't had any luck finding any.

Your fortune:
Lucky #7 for you.

I see a realtor in your future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 05:55 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,471,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz808 View Post
thank you but there really wasn't any house listings
There are no house listings but a great place to start for those who are relocating to S.A.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:14 PM

615 posts, read 1,328,528 times
I don't want to be a negative nelly here but if you say you tried looking for 2 months now, I'm going to have to pull out the BS Flag. I don't even have a move date from my new job yet, and the wife and I have 10+ houses in our "Save" list on a certain real estate website. If you DM, I'll send you the site. I've moved a few times due to the military, and they give you ample notice AND resources. Contact the Personnel department at your new base and ask them for housing assistance. Contact military housing and ask them for assistance (they WILL help you find off-base housing as well).

However, you can't just sit at home and wish really hard for realtors to contact you, you need to go looking for them yourself. I perused a bunch of houses on those select real estate websites, found a reoccurring Realtor for the area I liked and contacted them. Now I get MLS updates every few days.

Try harder.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:44 PM

790 posts, read 1,610,030 times
There are quite a few apartments around Ft. Sam. You may want to check apartmentratings.com for some more info, but a few examples include: Legacy Heights, Lakeside Villas, Cenzio Flats. There are two other complexes in the Oakwell Farms area, but I've forgotten their names. Oakwell Farms is a little subdivision close to Ft. Sam. Kinda nice area. Several surrounding zip codes include 78209 and 78218. There are also some rather run-down places in the area. For some real fun, check out 78210. A roll of the dice for my taste, but you'll be close to Ft. Sam. Just wanted to throw that out there, so you know there is a lot of variety.

Best of luck to you. Hope your travel smooths out.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:58 AM

437 posts, read 778,846 times
You came to the right forum; there are at least TWO realtors posting replies to your thread. I live and work 3 minutes from Fort Sam; there are lots of houses in the area. I walk by them with my dogs every day. I'll send you the same links I sent Verio.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:17 AM

180 posts, read 731,060 times
Are you a USAA member? They have a program if you use a REA they recommend then you save $1500.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:21 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,341,870 times
I wish I could give you the name of a good realtor on here, but we aren't supposed to advertise people. Maybe KevinCrawford can help you, he always has great advice about that kind of thing!

Old 01-29-2010, 09:37 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,157,873 times
Ease up, folks; unless you've been in the military and experienced a PCS move (especially a short-notice one), you shouldn't be criticizing the poster!

Liz, I PM’d you the name and info of a great realtor who has helped numerous military families coming into SA. He took great care of us when we PCS’d back from Belgium and we highly recommend him. He will absolutely make sure you get something you want!

Cheers! M2

Old 01-29-2010, 09:48 AM

3,646 posts, read 9,623,512 times
Former Navy wife here. PCS'd many, many times, plus many, many other moves.

I generally started checking out an area 6 months or so before we PCS'd, as did/do most military wives I know. Our first PCS, I was "only" given 6 weeks. Still had everything settled, WAY before 14 days beforehand. Then again, the OP did NOT say this was a short notice move, so not sure where majormadmax got that from.

Two months was enough time to learn that when you're moving to Texas and looking to rent a house vs an apartment, you need to speak to a realtor - things are done differently here. Lots of good help here on this thread. Call a realtor. Use Google. Two weeks is still plenty of time to secure a place to live. Though if you haven't begun the process of securing someone to move your things, then it's going to take awhile longer.

The military DOES provide help, but they don't chase you down to hand it to you - they send information home with the servicemember and provide classes for the servicemember and spouse. Very few take advantage of those classes, but then whine that they weren't given enough help.

Military life is not easy, and it's not for everyone. Moving can be stressful, but a well organized and supportive spouse can make it easier for the servicemember, the children and her/himself. Hopefully, this move will be a great education for you. Take notes and file them away. 2-4 years from now, you'll forget half of everything you learned and will have to start all over again.

Good luck and get moving! No pun intended!

Old 01-29-2010, 10:15 AM

186 posts, read 619,361 times
Go to Moderator cut: real estate link and enter zip code and price range, there are great finds. There is a map somewhere in these forums with zip codes of San Antonio so you can see exactly what is closest to work. I can recommend a great realtor who just helped me buy my first home, Moderator cut: name of real estate agent. Goodluck!

Last edited by Bo; 01-29-2010 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: Per the TOS, don't post real estate links or recommendations. Share them via DM instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio