U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 08:11 AM

376 posts, read 223,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cksean View Post
Not much asians here... everyone looks at me when i hang out in the south side...
As a lao wai zai Zhongguo (basically, foreigner in China), that's just the opposite of Zhongguo ren (Chinese) staring at this white guy as if he's a martian. Beyond potentially re-adjusting back to the US (and a much different region than my upbringing), I'm more concerned about how comfortable my fiancee would potentially be in San Antonio. FWIW, her English is very good, she works with a US multinational company, and she's traveled a lot in Asia, Europe, and some in Canada and the States. Any helpful insights will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 05:54 PM

810 posts, read 1,246,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laowai View Post
As a lao wai zai Zhongguo (basically, foreigner in China), that's just the opposite of Zhongguo ren (Chinese) staring at this white guy as if he's a martian. Beyond potentially re-adjusting back to the US (and a much different region than my upbringing), I'm more concerned about how comfortable my fiancee would potentially be in San Antonio. FWIW, her English is very good, she works with a US multinational company, and she's traveled a lot in Asia, Europe, and some in Canada and the States. Any helpful insights will be appreciated.
It really depends on her background and where she has lived. SA does not have a large Asian population like Austin, Dallas, and especially Houston if that makes her more comfortable. If she is used to the larger and cosmopolitan city feel, it will take some adjusting.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:20 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,076,981 times
San Antonio needs an Asian meetup.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:22 AM

15,914 posts, read 36,029,368 times
Well, looks like they exist...which is good.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,547 times
I sure miss Houston too. Born and raised there.. Now I'm in SA.. I like it here too but like you guys said.. I wanna be able to get me some authentic Chinese at 3am!!! Lol.. We need to all get together and bond at the hookah/Thai lounge.. I need some SA friends. My Houston friends are too far!

Old 08-13-2010, 07:26 PM

67 posts, read 132,184 times
We should do a meet up.....send me a DM with your contact email and I will try to set up something

Old 08-13-2010, 08:06 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,076,981 times
Would love a meet up too. By the way check out the Confucius Institute that just opened at UTSA, all kinds of Chinese culture stuff going on there.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:34 PM

334 posts, read 795,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cksean View Post
Not much asians here...
everyone looks at me when i hang out in the south side...
A good punch line to this would have been for you to type a few lines down "Mind you, I'm not Asian, just very very good looking."

Old 08-14-2010, 11:23 AM

26 posts, read 69,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
we need more authentic Asian people here. Because almost all of the Chinese food here sucks!
I really miss *good* Chinese food. I lived in San Francisco most of my life and the asian food selection is overwhelming there ( as the Mexican restaurant choices are here.) I asked a few asian friends where to go to get authentic Asian food, and they gave me a lot of suggestions. My problem with the Chinese food here is that it's fried too much; almost like "KFC meets Panda Express!"

Old 08-14-2010, 03:57 PM

67 posts, read 132,184 times
Can't agree more.... I miss the real Asian Food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio