U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 08:14 PM

10 posts, read 40,036 times

Advertisements

Transferring to Lackland AFB from Tampa. I am looking for good schools and youth sports near lackland. I see a decent cheer gym (Pinnacle Cheer) in Helotes but not sure I want to commute that far on a daily basis. Would also need a before/after school program for the kids.

Since we own a house in Tampa we are looking to rent a 4 or 5 bedroom home. Our current home is in a gated community, 5 bedroom, 3 bath, 2600 sq feet. I have 2 kids in elementary school and 2 in high school.

Any recommendations appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 08:21 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,715,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids4karen View Post

Transferring to Lackland AFB from Tampa. I am looking for good schools and youth sports near lackland. I see a decent cheer gym (Pinnacle Cheer) in Helotes but not sure I want to commute that far on a daily basis. Would also need a before/after school program for the kids.

Since we own a house in Tampa we are looking to rent a 4 or 5 bedroom home. Our current home is in a gated community, 5 bedroom, 3 bath, 2600 sq feet. I have 2 kids in elementary school and 2 in high school.

Here you go..take a look through the relocation thread. Lots of good info there.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...index-san.html

Good luck with the move! Hope you enjoy this city more than we did.

Do you speak Spanish?

Old 01-31-2010, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 6,296 times
Quote:

Well welcome to San Antonio,Texas this is a great City I love it. Well lets see a good high school you have Southwest High School good school in basketball and they made it to finals with football they are great .Then you have Mcnair middle school awsome new schoool state of the art ,well as far elementary i really dont know around the area. Cheer we have Primier Cheer down on Hwy 90 and Castroville rd great place for cheer have gonme to Nationals. Well wish you well on you moving and again WELCOME TO TEXAS just in time for RODEO AND FIESTA GO SPURS GO!

Old 01-31-2010, 08:55 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,169,739 times
Ignore the comment about speaking Spanish, it is not necessary in SA.

Secondly, we've been stationed here twice and lived out near Helotes both times. It is less than a 30 minute commute and an easy one to make to Lackland. There is a huge number of military out in this area and the schools (NISD) are great. You don't want to live really close to Lackland, that area is not the best and most of the people stationed there live at least 20 minutes or more away...and there are lots of great neighborhoods to choose from.

We had an excellent realtor who has dealt with many families PCS'ing into the local area, if you are interested let me know. We found a house within the first half day of looking with him when we PCS'd from Belgium...

Cheers! M2

Old 02-04-2010, 11:04 AM

10 posts, read 40,036 times
I do not speak Spanish but my SA born, Mexican-American husband does. ;-)

Old 02-04-2010, 11:21 AM

221 posts, read 501,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
You don't want to live really close to Lackland, that area is not the best and most of the people stationed there live at least 20 minutes or more away...and there are lots of great neighborhoods to choose from.

Cheers! M2
I second that....There is also a beautiful area called Westover Hills about a 15 minute drive to and from Lackland(again you do not want to live too close to Lackland) NISD is def one of the best school districts in SA.

I have sent you a direct message.....on neighborhood recommendations =)

Old 02-04-2010, 12:33 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,715,835 times
Quote:
I do not speak Spanish but my SA born, Mexican-American husband does. ;-)
That's great. It can only help in this day and age. Do you have plans on learning one day?
Good luck with your transfer...take a look at Westover like the previous poster recommended.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:42 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,169,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
That's great. It can only help in this day and age. Do you have plans on learning one day?
Good luck with your transfer...take a look at Westover like the previous poster recommended.
Ignore that, it isn't needed nor necessary except for some very specific jobs that may require you to interact with the few people who live in SA who don't speak English! So unless you are planning to work in the social arena, pay no attention to anyone who says you need to know Spanish to live here. It's great if you do, and everyone should learn a second language if they don't speak one already; but to act as if it is a necessity is very misleading…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or