U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 03:51 PM

777 posts, read 1,436,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbillybob View Post
I see that. Someone has posted here they have $1500 wheels. My whole truck is probably not worth that.
by all means, not rich, only 42K a year. my car is the only thing i splurge on. and it was my gift to myself, paid for by myself, as a college graduation present.

$1500 for rims is quite cheap for a decent lightweight pair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 04:03 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,330,035 times
I love how because Central Market is located in AH, that it's only 'the rich and privileged' who shop there. That's a misnomer.

I will say that CM's prices are higher than a usual HEB, but their selection in specialty goods are unmatched. The reason you rarely see lines at CM is that the checkout lines are staggered (by design) and most people aren't going in for full-shopping experiences: Most of their business is at the take-away counter or deli. CM functions for a lot of people like a corner grocery store... A place to run in and pick up dinner or a gallon of milk.

I'd just like to see HEB spread the cheer a little and build at least one more CM (likely in Stone Oak due to logistics). The whole HEB Plus concept to me is a little too crazy for me. Every time I go into one, it's like full-contact shopping. Not fun.

BN

Old 02-02-2010, 04:10 PM

246 posts, read 359,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismospec View Post
by all means, not rich, only 42K a year. my car is the only thing i splurge on. and it was my gift to myself, paid for by myself, as a college graduation present.

$1500 for rims is quite cheap for a decent lightweight pair.
Just kidding.
Yeah, I remember being young and splurging. Had a vette. Had to worry about every scratch, wash it and all that stuff. Now I can't even count the scratches (and dents) on my truck. Carwash! what is that?

Old 02-02-2010, 04:22 PM

246 posts, read 359,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
I love how because Central Market is located in AH, that it's only 'the rich and privileged' who shop there. That's a misnomer.

I will say that CM's prices are higher than a usual HEB, but their selection in specialty goods are unmatched. The reason you rarely see lines at CM is that the checkout lines are staggered (by design) and most people aren't going in for full-shopping experiences: Most of their business is at the take-away counter or deli. CM functions for a lot of people like a corner grocery store... A place to run in and pick up dinner or a gallon of milk.

I'd just like to see HEB spread the cheer a little and build at least one more CM (likely in Stone Oak due to logistics). The whole HEB Plus concept to me is a little too crazy for me. Every time I go into one, it's like full-contact shopping. Not fun.

BN
All true and I only comment on CM because I hear it refered to as the Gucci-B. Most people I know are avid cooks and we will drive over there to shop. It is not actually all that far for us. The service is excellent. I must go too much because the folks in the deli know what I like. I justify the extra cost because we don't eat out very much.

If they open another one I want it across the street from me.

Side note: the roasted turkey breasts they now have are great. (next to the roasted chickens)

Old 02-02-2010, 04:34 PM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,013,970 times
I thought the Gucci B was the HEB at Nacogoches and New Braunfels. CM has some really good NY strip steaks on sale from time to time. Angus Choice 9.99 a pound. Check the weekly specials...

Old 02-02-2010, 04:50 PM

443 posts, read 779,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
I thought the Gucci B was the HEB at Nacogoches and New Braunfels. CM has some really good NY strip steaks on sale from time to time. Angus Choice 9.99 a pound. Check the weekly specials...
Nah, that's just a madhouse. The HEB off Broadway was called Gucci-B even before the magic transformation into Central Market. That was in reference to the clientele, not the location. Prior to its facelift, that store resembled Handy Andy in its waning period.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:53 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,138,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Nothing wrong with working hard, getting an education, landing a good-paying job and buying nice things...it is what the American dream is suppose to be about; but lately too many think they simply deserve the rewards without the work.
not worth it

Last edited by sapphire; 02-02-2010 at 07:03 PM..

Old 02-03-2010, 01:49 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,443,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post

BN

Ditto!
I think we can handle 3 of them if we didn't have lots of HEB Plus stores. I dunno on third location, I'm debating the 1604/Culebra/Potranco area would be a good fit with the 2nd being Stone Oak.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:22 PM

358 posts, read 721,196 times
I haven't been to the new Spec's in S.A. yet, but have been to various ones in Houston and they give outstanding customer service, IMO. Hope our's is the same. Anyone know?

Old 02-03-2010, 05:14 PM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,013,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Ditto!
I think we can handle 3 of them if we didn't have lots of HEB Plus stores. I dunno on third location, I'm debating the 1604/Culebra/Potranco area would be a good fit with the 2nd being Stone Oak.
Instead of Stone Oak, I'm thinking a CM out at TPC Parkway/Evans and Bulverde Rd near the new Marriott. HEB has planned a store at Bulverde and 1604, but that's not the same neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio