U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 07:00 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,747,496 times

Advertisements

M's, Mike and Scuba and redneck....no facts in a photo. You have no idea what the water looked like at the time he drove through it. I'm shocked hearing this news for the first time. I need a bit of time to absorb the loss before having any lessons added to this tragic incident. Sweetie is correct that he was well known and friends and even family may be reading this. There is a time for everything....just not now.

Last edited by wCat; 02-04-2010 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: adding redneck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 07:09 PM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,030,149 times
Was it dark at the time? Were the barricades in place at the time it happened?

Old 02-04-2010, 07:17 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,018,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
How insensitive can you be at a time like this? A pillar of the community passes away tragically, and you want to berate his decision making. How do you know that a family member or friend doesn't look in CD-SA???

It looks to me like the water was up only 6 inches. Maybe it was his only way to work. I live in the area, and know that crossing well. If he turned back, he would have been subjected to even more dangerous low water crossings, as Specht Rd runs parallel to Cibolo Creek.

Please man, this one time have some mercy! Sheez!!!
I'm sorry if M2's post offended you, but he's right theres always a big yellow sign that says "Turn around Dont drown", and no way did he intent to cause disrespect on the deceased, or was being insensitive about the subject.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:17 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,332,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
How insensitive can you be at a time like this? A pillar of the community passes away tragically, and you want to berate his decision making. How do you know that a family member or friend doesn't look in CD-SA???

It looks to me like the water was up only 6 inches. Maybe it was his only way to work. I live in the area, and know that crossing well. If he turned back, he would have been subjected to even more dangerous low water crossings, as Specht Rd runs parallel to Cibolo Creek.

Please man, this one time have some mercy! Sheez!!!
Agree with the Major on this one. It's always tragic when we lose someone, no matter who it is. We don't know all the details just yet, but the reality is that many people drive through these crossings, barricaded or not, and some die doing it. It's something that's easily avoidable. If anything comes of this, maybe it'll help more folks to take notice that only a few inches of fast moving water can kill you.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:22 PM

15,926 posts, read 7,184,359 times
No where in the news article does it say what time of day this happened. If it was before 11 a.m. today, it was foggy and dark then. There are no street lights over there, and if it was raining, his visibility was compromised. If he turned back the way he came, there would have been at least 3 low water crossings that were much worse than this one. This picture was taken after 3 p.m. when we were having another surge of heavy rains., so of course the water is running over at a dangerous level.

And thanks Ms.Cat, for your stating that it is too soon to be trying to teach lessons. God forbid any of us would die accidentally, like in a hunting accident, and one of our friends or family members came to post here, and read every one going on about what a dumb choice was made. It was a sad accident, compassion is all that's needed at this time.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
You have to drive these low water crossings when they are DRY to understand. Most of them are dry the majority of the time. Some of the creek beds are barely less than a foot or two below the level of the road. This is not in SA proper. Flash floods can happen instantly....hence the name. It's doubtful barricades would have been put in this location unless we have been having heavy thunderstorms and tons of rain. This steady rainfall has been deceiving....and as pointed out...the picture (obviously not taken at the moment of the accident) shows the water level to be less than a foot. He may have hit standing water while driving and skidded. The FACTS are we just don't know what happened.

Yesterday I was entering an on ramp and hit standing water and fish tailed. I could not tell at all that there was any depth of water on the freeway, but I was fortunate enough that no one was behind me or it might have been bad.

There is another story about a pregnant woman who flipped her small SUV today because of the very same thing. Luckily she survived, but she is hospitalized in serious condition.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:24 PM

15,926 posts, read 7,184,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
I'm sorry if M2's post offended you, but he's right theres always a big yellow sign that says "Turn around Dont drown", and no way did he intent to cause disrespect on the deceased, or was being insensitive about the subject.
Thank you svg210!!! And more likely than not the barricades were not up at the time.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Agree with the Major on this one. It's always tragic when we lose someone, no matter who it is. We don't know all the details just yet, but the reality is that many people drive through these crossings, barricaded or not, and some die doing it. It's something that's easily avoidable. If anything comes of this, maybe it'll help more folks to take notice that only a few inches of fast moving water can kill you.
Kev...really? mm already said that. Everyone can agree all they want. Join a club. Start a blog....but not now when this man has not even been gone for a day. Save it guys. Have you maybe noticed there are a few people that might possibly know this man personally? Offer them condolences on their loss of a friend....and just save it.

Sorry Kev...you know I adore you..... but bad call on this post.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:31 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,229,271 times
This was an accident, plain and simple. Tragedies are almost always as a result of someone's bad judgement along the way. The lesson here is loud and clear IMHO, no need to harp on it.

I worked for The County Line in school--I was about 19 I think. Mr. Goss came to our store on Westheimer and worked with us for a day or two. He was such a nice man. What a sad say for the folks at CL, they're all very tight-knit.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:36 PM

5,635 posts, read 13,984,589 times
To put things in perspective...flooded areas kill more people than hurricanes. As stated elsewhere on this site, flooding is the #1 most deadly natural disaster. Looks can be deceiving...BIG TIME. If water is touching the bottom of your tire rim, it's too deep to cross and cause problems. The kicker is that people get scared halfway through and then try to turn back....too late, that makes it worse. I once pulled a jeep out of the water because the owners thought their big tires could save them. Water carves canyons in stone...it's strong stuff. We all think we can make the best decisions...along as it doesn't happen to us, right?

I feel bad for the guy. I do think that it's too early to speculate on what happened. Here's a low water crossing near Fredericksburg that looks peaceful...until I got nearly swept away in my 1 ton F150. Even spending a lot of time driving the beaches and offroading, I still was caught off guard here. Cars easily get lifted with just a little bit of water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or