U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 07:17 AM

4,149 posts, read 9,329,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Kev...really? mm already said that. Everyone can agree all they want. Join a club. Start a blog....but not now when this man has not even been gone for a day. Save it guys. Have you maybe noticed there are a few people that might possibly know this man personally? Offer them condolences on their loss of a friend....and just save it.

Sorry Kev...you know I adore you..... but bad call on this post.
I know it's tragic. It really is. I don't think you'll find ONE person that says "he got what he deserved" on here. I'll continue to pray for his family, because I can't fathom the pain they're going through.

I don't think anyone really attacked HIM. It most likely was an accident. There's no way to know what he saw or was thinking. We're just saying that many people drive through these things, barricaded or not, because they think "oh, it's just a little water".

This truly is devastating to his family and I feel horrible for them. I'm just hoping that maybe his accident will at least have some good come out of it by making some people realize that the crossings aren't marked just for fun. There's real danger behind a few inches of water. Maybe someone else's life was saved because of this story.

Tragic, yes. But hopefully his life helped save others. Maybe someone turned around because they heard this story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 09:48 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,743,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Now it's being said he left work Wed night and never came home. So, it appears it happened in the dark with no barricades. Barricade were not put up until Thurs morning.
I was just reading that. His wife called Comal police to report him missing the night before. They even checked that creek area, but couldn't see anything because it was too dark. They even mentioned there were no barricades at that time.....the road crews checked that crossing and said the water was not over the bridge when they were putting out barricades.

It's pointing more and more to tragic timing that was purely accidental.

Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by Bo; 02-05-2010 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: No lecturing. See my post above.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:53 AM

14,628 posts, read 31,226,142 times
Quote:
It's pointing more and more to tragic timing that was purely accidental.

Moderator cut: orphaned

RIP Mr. Goss.....I didn't know you but I trust that you were smart enough not to endanger your own life in a careless manner. You just wanted to get home to your family.

Last edited by Bo; 02-05-2010 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the portion of the post you replied to was deleted.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:58 AM

I think the story is even sadder that his family's worst fears became real. We've all been there at some time or another. God bless all of them...

Last edited by Bo; 02-05-2010 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the portion of the post you replied to was edited

Old 02-05-2010, 11:46 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,710,115 times
Does anybody know the exact location of where it happened,
because Cibolo Creek doesn't cross right at the intersection of Blanco & Specht Rd.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Does anybody know the exact location of where it happened,
because Cibolo Creek doesn't cross right at the intersection of Blanco & Specht Rd.
Here's the link to today's story on Mysa.com. If you scroll all the way to the bottom, there is a map with the crossing location.

County Line co-owner found dead in car (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Body_found_in_submerged_car.html - broken link)

Here's a google map link to the crossing.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...00331&t=h&z=18

Last edited by wCat; 02-05-2010 at 12:58 PM..

Old 02-05-2010, 02:14 PM

432 posts, read 3,121,878 times
These types of accidents happen far too often.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:42 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,171,634 times
Quote:
Here's a google map link to the crossing.

specht road, san antonio, TX - Google Maps
From the picture in the article (posted earlier), it would appear he was driving eastbound on West Specht Road right before it becomes Obst. Been through there a thousand times, it There is a sharp turn before crossing that concrete bridge, and the flood gauge in the picture is misleading as it is not at the deepest point of Cibolo Creek. It measure the water at bridge level but once the water has risen to that point it is several feet from the creek bottom. That means the actual volume of water going across the road is significantly more than the sign/gauge indicates. It is also apparent that a large part of the bridge had water flowing across it.

That road requires slow speeds (the speed limit is 35 MPH) during daytime and dry conditions. At night and in the rain, one's speed would have to be significantly slow than that. Even when it is not raining, it is notorious for deer.

All this could have contributed to the accident, a lady I work with lives very close to that location and says it (and Ammann Road just north of there) are well known to flood. Apparently sections of Ammann were flooded his week as well, as were numerous other locations across town. Conditions were extremely hazardous and required the utmost caution and vigilance when driving...and we are due for more of this kind of weather next week, so hopefully people will realize how dangerous it is and proceed accordingly.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:54 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,710,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Been through there a thousand times, it There is a sharp turn before crossing that concrete bridge, and the flood gauge in the picture is misleading as it is not at the deepest point of Cibolo Creek.
I was looking in googlemaps and I was wondering about the depth of the river.
Seems as if there's a 6" curve on each side, but then the bottom of the creek seems to be 3' below that.
Just by looking at that, my guess is .... the car got pushed by the water and then it flipped over and went into the creek upside down.
or he didn't see the edge of the road and fell to the East side and flipped over.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:11 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,171,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I was looking in googlemaps and I was wondering about the depth of the river.
Seems as if there's a 6" curve on each side, but then the bottom of the creek seems to be 3' below that.
Just by looking at that, my guess is .... the car got pushed by the water and then it flipped over and went into the creek upside down.
or he didn't see the edge of the road and fell to the East side and flipped over.
To be honest I can't remember precisely how much of a drop there is, but I believe it is several (2-3) feet.

Think about it, you have 2-3 feet of high-volume, rushing water that suddenly meets an obstacle (the bridge). it is then forced up and over it, meaning a huge increase in volume and velocity. Whereas it may look to only be a half-foot or so deep, the power of that flowing water is tremendous; and considering the small contact points a normal car has to a road (a 6"x6" patch at most) once traction is broken there isn't much to stop a vehicle from being swept downstream.

The bottom line is that these water crossings can be very deceiving, and everyone should approach them with caution. I make it a rule that if I can't see the center line in the road all the way across, I don't cross. That particular bridge does not have any lines on it, but if the conditions are anything like they were in the picture posted earlier in this thread, such turbulence is another good indication that conditions are too treacherous to cross. Before attempting to do so, a driver should have no doubt whatsoever that it is safe to cross. Otherwise, it is wise to just find an alternate route...

If anyone doubts any of this, then just consider that Texas is the state with the most flood/flash flood deaths in the past 36 years, and 76% of deaths are vehicle-related (Source: Flood Statistics).

For more information on flash floods in Texas, click here; and for info specifically for San Antonio, see here.

By the way, in this video by a former SA Fire Chief, pay particular attention to what he says at the end...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or