U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 05:40 PM

197 posts, read 542,197 times

Advertisements

County Line owner Randy Goss found dead. It saddens me to see another victim die in this area. Where are the bridges? My husband had to drive an extra bunch of miles to get to work today because of all the flooded roads. He won't drive through closed roads (so glad). The police are still trying to determine if the barricades were up where this man attempted to drive through. May he rest in peace. He gave San Antonio jobs and good BBQ. What did San Antonio give him for all the taxes he had paid? No bridges and difficult driving decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 06:12 PM

15,926 posts, read 7,178,949 times
So sad to hear this. Randy was a good man, and a really nice guy. What a tragic loss. Condolences to his family and friends. RIP

Old 02-04-2010, 06:14 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,161,843 times
As much as I am sorry and saddened to hear this news; anyone can see by the picture in that article that it was clearly unsafe to try and drive though that water...

This was the tragic result of a poor decision, not a difficult one. There are clearly warning signs, and people need to learn that they should not be ignored.

So yes, it's very sad news, but maybe some good will come from it as it will serve as a reminder for the next person who comes upon a situation like this to do the right thing and turn around.

RIP, Randy Goss!

Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 PM

15,926 posts, read 7,178,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
As much as I am sorry and saddened to hear this news; anyone can see by the picture in that article that it was clearly unsafe to try and drive though that water...

This was the tragic result of a poor decision, not a difficult one. There are clearly warning signs, and people need to learn that they should not be ignored.

So yes, it's very sad news, but maybe some good will come from it as it will serve as a reminder for the next person who comes upon a situation like this to do the right thing and turn around.

RIP, Randy Goss!
How insensitive can you be at a time like this? A pillar of the community passes away tragically, and you want to berate his decision making. How do you know that a family member or friend doesn't look in CD-SA???

It looks to me like the water was up only 6 inches. Maybe it was his only way to work. I live in the area, and know that crossing well. If he turned back, he would have been subjected to even more dangerous low water crossings, as Specht Rd runs parallel to Cibolo Creek.

Please man, this one time have some mercy! Sheez!!!

Last edited by Sweetie Pie; 02-04-2010 at 06:39 PM..

Old 02-04-2010, 06:51 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,161,843 times
I'm sorry if you disagree with me, but I was simply stating the facts. The reason this man lost his life was because of a bad decision on his part. He is not the first to try and drive across a water crossing, and unfortunately he most likely won't be the last. It is tragic, but I do not agree with the comments that the city was at fault for not building bridges or even if there weren't barricades in place. It is clearly a dangerous situation and unfortunately too many people take unnecessary risks instead of making the right choice and turning around.

Any unnecessary loss of life is tragic, especially when it can be avoided. I have great sympathy for his family and friends, as they are the ones left wondering why such an accident occurred when it could have been avoided.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:52 PM

10,528 posts, read 12,736,132 times
It's very sad, but also kind of ironic. The first time I went to the County Line restaurant (at it's old location on 1604 where Clear Springs is now, Afton Oaks) I thought it really was the county line.

But it's actually a few miles north of 1604, Cibbolo Creek. It's both tragic and ironic that he died there.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:54 PM

314 posts, read 724,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
How insensitive can you be at a time like this? A pillar of the community passes away tragically, and you want to berate his decision making. How do you know that a family member or friend doesn't look in CD-SA???

It looks to me like the water was up only 6 inches. Maybe it was his only way to work. I live in the area, and know that crossing well. If he turned back, he would have been subjected to even more dangerous low water crossings, as Specht Rd runs parallel to Cibolo Creek.

I agree with MMM, just because it is a tragedy doesn't mean it can't be a learning experience as well. As a matter of fact if nothing is taken from it then it is even more of a tragedy...

5,615 posts, read 12,829,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post

RIP, Randy Goss!
Yeah the water looks fast too. It's a no-brainer not to drive through it.

4,796 posts, read 13,739,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post

I have to agree Sweetie Pie. A photo can be deceiving....some words are ill timed and unnecessary. Very sad!

Old 02-04-2010, 06:58 PM

6,274 posts, read 9,034,473 times
Sorry folks - but I've got to agree w/M2 here. Tragic? Yes - of course!! Avoidable? Absolutely. Swift water is deadly - as any reasonable adult would know. He chose his course of action, and unfortunately he chose poorly - but it's no ones fault but his own, folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or