U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 09:02 AM

35 posts, read 93,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
The Teen Canteen was run by Sam Kinsey. Famous for the Battle of the Bands.
(he also had a SouthSide Club called Teen Town.)

I don't think Blossom was there when it first opened????

Bands I remember hearing there were The Stoics and The Chaynes....

If I remember correctly, the Moving SideWalks also played there..

mud

The teenCanteen was there before Blossom. Never got to go there very much. Living on the south side it was almost like another country. I remember going to the airport to pickup an aunt and it seemed like it took hours to get there. Dan G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 09:03 AM

1,893 posts, read 4,875,692 times
Teen Town wasn't Sam Kinsey's. Teen Town belonged to the Carroll Family. Both were cool one of a kind places.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:58 AM

2 posts, read 5,434 times
Smile The Old Victoria Courts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianAnnette View Post
So fun to read all these memories I share. And what about Playland on Broadway? And Christie's seafood restaurant where we got to eat once a year IF we were lucky.

I spent several years of my childhood living in Victoria Courts in the 1950's. Now I'm a history professor at UTSA and I'm writing a history of San Antonio Public housing, specifically focusing on Victoria Courts. Is there anyone out there who would like to share memories/be interviewed for this book?

Hi there, I use to live in the Victoria Courts from the day I was born in 1975 until they were demolished. I was looking for old pictures of this place and came upon this link. I know it's a little late, but I have thousands of stories from that place I called Home. Our first apartment was on McMonigal, then burruss, and finally we moved out about 1988 and I went back when my sister moved into there. I have horror stories and happy memories to talk about and sometimes I wish I could write a book about My life in the Victoria Courts. Thanks for listening even if you got this message late, Bye.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,434 times
Smile Marieannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
MA is my cousin folks. Strange who you will meet here.
Did you say you knew Marie annette, if you do, do you know if she's still interested in finding someone who grew up in the Victoria Courts. I'm barely 33 years old but I lived there nearly all my life there and have many stories for her book. It may be a little late, but it caught my attention and was wondering if she was retired or if she's still writing. Thanks for listening and you can reach me at MykoSaldana@hotmail.com.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:25 PM

35 posts, read 93,349 times
Marie Annete, Hi! from Dan G. I'm much older than you are but I grew up in the 50s living just south of the courts. We were off S. Presa 1 block south of Carolina St. I'm quite sure if you grew up in the courts you know about where we were. Many recollections of that time and if you would like I would prefer e-mail at wrnk@ctesc.net. It was very good to read your notes and I would like to explore this more. I now live in Fredericksburg, Texas and retired/disabled. Contact me if you care to. Dan G

Old 08-30-2009, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,125 times
Smile 1969

1969- i would cross fredricksburg road to wonderland mall with my race cars. they had several giant race tracks in the bottom floor that you could race on for free. A coupla years later i would cross the water bridge in brackenridge park just past Jims Frontier and work at the Zoo. OO , The Rolling Stones in 1974 at Hemisfair **

Old 08-30-2009, 01:26 PM

3,109 posts, read 8,717,254 times
I just contacted my cousin Marie Annette and she will be back up here for those who were responding to her request on Victoria Courts.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:53 PM

1,588 posts, read 3,030,049 times
Anyone remember the Three Bears Hamburger Dens? The one i went to the most was on McCullough near North Star mall. They had three hamburger sizes: the Papa Bear, Mama Bear, and Baby Bear. They also had EXCELLENT shakes and fries.

If I remember correctly, the owner killed himself, and the stores closed down soon after.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:40 PM

2 posts, read 9,013 times
This is great! I had almost forgotten about a lot of places mentioned. Funny thing though, being a lineman and working around poles all day, everytime I smell the creosote on a new pole I always think of First Mate. I can remember as a kid smelling that stuff as we walked up the plank to the front door. I wonder what ever happened to the Mr. Dunderbachs that used to be in some of the malls? Those were great little German style delis with just about any kind of beer and food from just about anywhere in the world. The Texas Theatre and Aztec Theatre were cool places to go when I was a kid also. And if I remeber right, wasn't Burger Chef like the first burger joints where you ordered just a plain hamburger or cheeseburger and then went to the condiment station to add lettuce, tomatoes, onion, mustard, or whatever else your little heart desired to that burger? And one more mention about the Flame or Jims or Franks (S.W.W. White Rd. & Holmgreen if anyone remembers them) was the thin, crispy onion rings!

Old 09-01-2009, 02:31 AM

114,170 posts, read 54,184,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Anyone remember the Three Bears Hamburger Dens? The one i went to the most was on McCullough near North Star mall. They had three hamburger sizes: the Papa Bear, Mama Bear, and Baby Bear. They also had EXCELLENT shakes and fries.

If I remember correctly, the owner killed himself, and the stores closed down soon after.
We discussed these sometime back!! I recall the one by McCreless mall off of Southcross Blvd. Not sure why they closed. I liked them !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio