U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 10:08 AM

1,893 posts, read 4,862,837 times

Advertisements

I ate at that same one by McCreless. They did have good burgers. That was the first place I ever saw that trick where you inhale Helium and talk like a duck. They were giving away balloons to kids in there one night. There was a cop who just happened to be in there and he showed us the trick. Being teenagers at the time, we had been at my buddy's house one street over drinking wine and stuff so we thought that cop was quite entertaining. We laughed till we cried. Cops seemed to be cooler then. Now there is a McD in it's place. Yuck!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 03:07 PM

63 posts, read 228,616 times
Default Drive In Theaters

Hey folks, can't remember if anyone mentioned going to any of the drive in movie theaters in south San Antonio, the Lackand on Sommerset Rd (on the right towards town from the Grey Eagle), then there was the Trail (Military Dr)
the Roxy, etc...

Old 09-01-2009, 04:16 PM

114,159 posts, read 54,004,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sereneintexas View Post
Hey folks, can't remember if anyone mentioned going to any of the drive in movie theaters in south San Antonio, the Lackand on Sommerset Rd (on the right towards town from the Grey Eagle), then there was the Trail (Military Dr)
the Roxy, etc...
Yes, these have all been discussed in "Gone but not forgotten" thread. Gy2020 had a nice website on these theaters. I've been to most of them growing up. Especially to the ones you mentioned , Mission and Loop 13 also! Roxy was the longest sitting idle I recall, or actually closed but still around for many years.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:31 PM

35 posts, read 92,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLineman View Post
This is great! I had almost forgotten about a lot of places mentioned. Funny thing though, being a lineman and working around poles all day, everytime I smell the creosote on a new pole I always think of First Mate. I can remember as a kid smelling that stuff as we walked up the plank to the front door. I wonder what ever happened to the Mr. Dunderbachs that used to be in some of the malls? Those were great little German style delis with just about any kind of beer and food from just about anywhere in the world. The Texas Theatre and Aztec Theatre were cool places to go when I was a kid also. And if I remeber right, wasn't Burger Chef like the first burger joints where you ordered just a plain hamburger or cheeseburger and then went to the condiment station to add lettuce, tomatoes, onion, mustard, or whatever else your little heart desired to that burger? And one more mention about the Flame or Jims or Franks (S.W.W. White Rd. & Holmgreen if anyone remembers them) was the thin, crispy onion rings!
yeah lineman I remember the smell of creosote but it was because we spent so much time on the river under the train trestles behind Brackenridge High School. My brother and I got a heck of a whipping for going there after our mother told us to stay away. Drawn to it like fireflies to a light. The Texas theatre and Coney Island right close with the 10 cent hot dogs. Used to go there a lot as a kid. Dan G

Old 10-11-2009, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,763 times
Default st henry's catholic school

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitguru View Post
My mother graduated from St. Henrys? in about 1942 or so and has been looking for a few of her classmates from that era. Is anyone out there that is from that time or remembers that Catholic school. Specifically she is looking for Felix Flores, he would be about 82 years old or so now. He was one of her best friends and it would be a thrill for me to be able to put them in touch. She has tried many Felix Flores in the past, but such a common name makes it hard. Anyone with any information can PM me anytime. Thanks WHen Igo and visit I will get information about this thread, I bet she would have a great deal of info about SA before 1969!

hi
my mother went to st. henry's. her name at the time was alice graves. i too would love to talk to anyone that was there around that time. please write back.
maybe a name or two might ring a bell in my ear as well.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:37 PM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,014,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I ate at that same one by McCreless. They did have good burgers. That was the first place I ever saw that trick where you inhale Helium and talk like a duck. They were giving away balloons to kids in there one night. There was a cop who just happened to be in there and he showed us the trick. Being teenagers at the time, we had been at my buddy's house one street over drinking wine and stuff so we thought that cop was quite entertaining. We laughed till we cried. Cops seemed to be cooler then. Now there is a McD in it's place. Yuck!
I think the 3 bears were either owned by the McCreless family or the family that owns Little Red Barn and I think they went out of business when Whopper Burger or McD came to town. And the cops were cool back then, get caught underage drinking and most likely they would just have you pour it out on the street while they watched.

There was also Podna's hamburgers on Gevers near Hiawatha, Brown's Mexican Food on Hackberry(still there, different owner).

Last edited by RGJ; 10-11-2009 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: ap

Old 10-14-2009, 09:01 AM

13 posts, read 32,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sereneintexas View Post
My mom, my sister and I took a drive yesterday out thru Palo Alto heights (where we lived when we were kids), out Poteet Hwy, and thru Poteet. How things have changed. It we hadn't known where we were we wouldn't have recognized the places we saw. PA heights used to be just barely in the city limits. From Villaret south it was nothing but countryside. Does anyone remember that area back then?

Later, my sister and I drove through parts of what used to be Kelly Field. The houses where the officers used to live appeared to be mostly empty. It's ashamed that those wonderful old buildings couldn't be restored. It seemed so weird driving through there. Does anyone know when those old houses were built, I'm guessing maybe, WWII era? One or several of them would make a great military museum. After all Randolph AFB was designated as a National Historical Landmark on August 7,2001, Lackland has the Gateway Historical Collection, Fort Sam Houston has a Museum and is a National Historic Landmark, and Brooks has got Hangar 9. The proceeds could go to the VA hospital or someplace benefiting our veterans.
I lived on villaret just off zarzamora from 1961 thru 1965 while I was going to High School at South San. I have a lot of good memories and good friends from that time.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:28 PM

69 posts, read 155,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibolo Rider View Post
I lived on villaret just off zarzamora from 1961 thru 1965 while I was going to High School at South San. I have a lot of good memories and good friends from that time.
Hmmm... I went to South San in '61 but graduated in '62.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:41 PM

7 posts, read 18,218 times
How about the TEXAS THEATER.THE AZTEC, THE PIG STAIND,WINNS,HOTWELL MOTEL

Last edited by rhernandez56; 10-21-2009 at 08:53 PM..

Old 10-21-2009, 10:04 PM

3,929 posts, read 4,685,796 times
My family probably got to S.A. about 1956 when I was about 9, first lived on the southside. Later we moved to the northside. My southside memories must be during the drought. I remember very little rain, dead vegetation, etc. I remember the big polio scare...I was told to stay from puddles when we did have rain, they said it would make me sick. We kids played with the "horney toads". Poor things, I wish we hadn't annoyed them...they are long gone now as far as this whole area. I do remember Joske's and Walgreen's downtown. We were kind of poor and it was a big deal to go to Joske's as kids. It was something back in those days! Oh, does anyone remember when you got your milk and such delivered to your house? And when the gas station guy would come out to put gas in your father's car, clean the windshield, check the oil and give out those stamps? Lordy, remember the gas prices? Wow, I miss that most of all, I think! I remember when self-service gas started being the "norm"...I had to learn how to pump my own gas...thought that was terrible! I remember HemisFair...I was young then, had a ball! I guess I'm a dinosaur now, though. It kind of makes me sad occasionally when I go to S.A. (I live way out in the country). So crowded, such traffic jams, places that I remember being nice...now just parking lots and buildings...or houses built almost on top of another with with tiny yards. Sorry, but it's just not the S.A. I remember from long ago. Good to visit, but I don't want to live there any more. My grandchildren don't know the city I lived in back then. But then again, my daughter and her children moved to Houston years ago. Ironic...because I was born in Pasadena, Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio