U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 01:05 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,380,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I think it was located where tomatillo's is at now?
Tomatillo's used to be another Italian restaurant called Naples. They had the best ravioli in town. I think Valerios used to be where IHOP is today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 10:07 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,420,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
Tomatillo's used to be another Italian restaurant called Naples. They had the best ravioli in town. I think Valerios used to be where IHOP is today.
Ok I was just wondering, thanks.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,973 times
When I was young, the early 1950s, I remember a place on So. St Mary's (?) that sold watermellon by the slice. I think it was called Orville's. The kept mellons in tanks of ice water. You would sit on picnic benches under a string of yellow bug lights. Does anyone else go that far back?

Old 04-06-2012, 01:23 PM

97 posts, read 113,102 times
this is just so down to earth and beautiful to remember a time when it was more like reading mother goose fairy tails full of MAGIC in a magical time-frame!

Old 04-10-2012, 07:04 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,426,902 times
Default Not so far !

I come close to going as far back as the early fifties but I can only remember back as far as the late fifties. Don't recall the watermellon place on South St. Mary's. I think I remember the Pig Stand Restaurant there though.
Sketchy memories only, from the fifties.. I can recall the early sixties.
Lived near Goliad Rd. and Pecan Valley Drive (named Blackwood
back then) that was at the very outskirts of the city's southside around
1957. The floodwater would tear really high, in a torrent, down Pecan Valley Dr. toward Utopia Rd. south from Goliad during hard rains, three feet. In 1962 a flood control culvert large enough to drive a car through was installed underneath Pecan Valley. What an improvement! Even Back then people
were trying to ford creeks with their automoblies, I can recall many stalled cars
at the intersection as a kid, abandoned by their owners inside the fllodwaters.
That monthly payment for a brand new house was $62.00 a month.
All the air traffic in and out of Brooks A.F.B., and the sonic booms...
It all seemed a long distance from downtown but I know that it was a only a few minutes- especially in comparison to where the suburbs are located now.
Wished I could go back for only one day- like in the movies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by penelson 106 View Post
When I was young, the early 1950s, I remember a place on So. St Mary's (?) that sold watermellon by the slice. I think it was called Orville's. The kept mellons in tanks of ice water. You would sit on picnic benches under a string of yellow bug lights. Does anyone else go that far back?

Old 04-10-2012, 07:10 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,915,140 times
If you ever do get to go back, please, take me with you. That was magical. The only places that still get flooded are Southcross and Goliad, as well as Pecan Valley and Dollarhide, it's been years but wont be surpised when it happens again.

As a bit of trivia: Kennedy landed at Brooks a day before that fateful day in Dallas.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:29 AM

5,621 posts, read 13,018,903 times
Back in the 50's there was a place on S St Marys called Shortys that served watermelon by the slice. Shortys was as you have described, maybe the same place. I don't remember a place named Orvilles over there but that doesn't mean it wasn't there obviously. I was born on the southside long before there was a Goliad Road. Goliad was a cattle trail where Mr Shadrock would lead his dairy cattle out to Brooks AFB everyday. The cattle were hired to feed along the runways during the middle of the day to keep the grass down. It was in the 50's when they decided to make it a road. My sister and I played on the graders and other equipment when the guys would go home for the day. It was a big deal for us kids to even touch such huge equipment back then. We also watched as Highland Hills was being built. Previously it was nothing but a mesquite covered hill. My dad sold the property to the folks that built the Hi Park drive in theater. We watched movies from our back yard. During the day we'd make sure all of the speakers were turned to max volume so we could hear it too. It was the first air conditioned outdoor theater in San Antonio. Yeah, things were a lot different back then. We didn't have locks on the house. We watched the airplanes coming in for landing at Brooks every evening. Occasionally we'd hear long before you saw a B36 bomber. They were EXTREMELY loud and the sound was very deep. If one flew over you the ground would vibrate along with everything else. WE had home delivery of milk from Knowtons, Carnation, or Bordens. We also had an ice cream truck that came by most every day. A fudgesicle costs a nickel but a dreamsicle was a dime-ah, now that's livin'! Things were so much simpler back then and family time was everything.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:12 AM

1,893 posts, read 4,874,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
If you ever do get to go back, please, take me with you. That was magical. The only places that still get flooded are Southcross and Goliad, as well as Pecan Valley and Dollarhide, it's been years but wont be surpised when it happens again.

As a bit of trivia: Kennedy landed at Brooks a day before that fateful day in Dallas.
Goliad Rd has been under construction for it seems like years now as they install a big drainage tunnel. The contruction runs from SE Military to Pecan Valley or at least Palfrey. Perhaps they are tying in to the tunnel under Pecan Valley. That won't help the flooding at Goliad and Southcross though. They would need to tie into the tunnel that runs by St Margret Mary's Church to the San Antonio River.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:17 AM

1,893 posts, read 4,874,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Back in the 50's there was a place on S St Marys called Shortys that served watermelon by the slice. Shortys was as you have described, maybe the same place. I don't remember a place named Orvilles over there but that doesn't mean it wasn't there obviously. I was born on the southside long before there was a Goliad Road. Goliad was a cattle trail where Mr Shadrock would lead his dairy cattle out to Brooks AFB everyday. The cattle were hired to feed along the runways during the middle of the day to keep the grass down. It was in the 50's when they decided to make it a road. My sister and I played on the graders and other equipment when the guys would go home for the day. It was a big deal for us kids to even touch such huge equipment back then. We also watched as Highland Hills was being built. Previously it was nothing but a mesquite covered hill. My dad sold the property to the folks that built the Hi Park drive in theater. We watched movies from our back yard. During the day we'd make sure all of the speakers were turned to max volume so we could hear it too. It was the first air conditioned outdoor theater in San Antonio. Yeah, things were a lot different back then. We didn't have locks on the house. We watched the airplanes coming in for landing at Brooks every evening. Occasionally we'd hear long before you saw a B36 bomber. They were EXTREMELY loud and the sound was very deep. If one flew over you the ground would vibrate along with everything else. WE had home delivery of milk from Knowtons, Carnation, or Bordens. We also had an ice cream truck that came by most every day. A fudgesicle costs a nickel but a dreamsicle was a dime-ah, now that's livin'! Things were so much simpler back then and family time was everything.
Trapper, I've read that story by you here on CDSA before. Thanks, it's some great history that was just a little before my time. Just a little though, I was born in 1953 and have lived in the area all my life. Any more history about the area is always welcome. Keep it coming.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:50 AM

8,578 posts, read 5,970,513 times
I've just read this entire thread from start to finish. I don't know how or why I've missed it before, but I'm glad I found it. Boy what memories!

When I was in first grade (1958-59) I attended Ursuline Academy downtown. My grandmother worked at Joske's. Unfortunately, I thought nothing of leaving school and meandering up and down the Riverwalk, in and out, taking my time to get over to Joske's to visit my beloved grandmother. But, as many of you have mentioned, back then the Riverwalk was just the 'river'. There were no businesses, shops or bustling activity. Yet, this little first grader thought there was nothing wrong with roaming around the river. I have to admit that the SA police 'found' me down at the river more than once. I never knew I was 'lost'!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamigo View Post
I remember eating at Valerios back in the 70s. I recall it as good and reasonably priced.
Talk about a small world. I have reconnected with a friend that I went to school with in the mid 60's. Her uncle was the chef at Valerio's. Remember the house dressing on the salads? She said that he took his recipe to the grave with him. No one in the family has it. I have attempted to recreate that dressing, but to no avail. Sighhhhh.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio