U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 11:17 AM

1,893 posts, read 4,877,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
I've just read this entire thread from start to finish. I don't know how or why I've missed it before, but I'm glad I found it. Boy what memories!

When I was in first grade (1958-59) I attended Ursuline Academy downtown. My grandmother worked at Joske's. Unfortunately, I thought nothing of leaving school and meandering up and down the Riverwalk, in and out, taking my time to get over to Joske's to visit my beloved grandmother. But, as many of you have mentioned, back then the Riverwalk was just the 'river'. There were no businesses, shops or bustling activity. Yet, this little first grader thought there was nothing wrong with roaming around the river. I have to admit that the SA police 'found' me down at the river more than once. I never knew I was 'lost'!!!

Talk about a small world. I have reconnected with a friend that I went to school with in the mid 60's. Her uncle was the chef at Valerio's. Remember the house dressing on the salads? She said that he took his recipe to the grave with him. No one in the family has it. I have attempted to recreate that dressing, but to no avail. Sighhhhh.....
They had a wonderful appetizer there that was popcorn shrimp served in an oyster shell in a sauce. It was served hot. I have never seen that anywhere else. I think they called it Shrimp Congenial. Your friends uncle did not happen to share that recipe did he?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 11:46 AM

8,578 posts, read 5,979,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
They had a wonderful appetizer there that was popcorn shrimp served in an oyster shell in a sauce. It was served hot. I have never seen that anywhere else. I think they called it Shrimp Congenial. Your friends uncle did not happen to share that recipe did he?
Oh gosh, I remember that appetizer. It was so good. I can certainly ask her later this evening and I will report back!

Old 04-10-2012, 12:19 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,432,658 times
Default Kid hijincks @ Pecan Valley and Southcross, 1963,

I'll never forget that summer. We were peddling back one afternoon from Peecahn Valley Lake toward Goliad when we stopped at what must have been a driving range for the Golf Course and swiped some golf balls and put them into kid friend, Izzy's basket, fixed over the front wheel of his bicycle. About thirty of forty.
Don't know if those familiar with the southeast side from years back can remember a convenience store close to the intersection on the east side of Pecan Valley...near Southcross from years ago. I only remember it for one reason.
En route with our booty we stopped into the Stop and Go convenience
store between the Pecan Valley lake and Southcross on, Pecan Valley. The store's parking lot dipped down steeply from the street grade for about three feet to open sliding glass doors, the entire store front was completely open air for about 10 or twelve feet. Most parking lots on that side of the street
still slope downward steeply to this day.
As we entered the lot, friend Izzy lost his balance and his bike fell over. In an instant we knew how badly we had messed up. We watched in horror at the synchronycity of it as the golf balls bounced in unison evenly downhill toward the open sliding doors and inside the store. At the hell we were going to catch from the grown-up clerk for filling the store with the golf balls and for swiping the golf balls.
The clerk never batted an eye and stood there emotionless as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened as we scambled madly to recover the rolling balls
from all over the store and underneath the candy racks.
We escaped unscathed but there was a harrowing experience on san antonio's south side that day..
I believe most of us around know Kennedy stopped here via Brooks Field
before -that fateful day in 1963. That day was one of those like 9-11 where everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing at the
time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
If you ever do get to go back, please, take me with you. That was magical. The only places that still get flooded are Southcross and Goliad, as well as Pecan Valley and Dollarhide, it's been years but wont be surpised when it happens again.

As a bit of trivia: Kennedy landed at Brooks a day before that fateful day in Dallas.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:49 PM

No, Snappy Bob the kid's name wasn't Izzy Flores that day in 1963.
The kid's name was was Izzy V...

Old 04-10-2012, 08:50 PM

114,172 posts, read 54,221,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post

As a bit of trivia: Kennedy landed at Brooks a day before that fateful day in Dallas.
Actually Kennedy didn't land at Brooks, he drove in motorcade there. He dedicated the new School of Aerospace Medicine. I watched with many others as the motorcade passed by us on Military Drive. I'm sure I read where he had landed at Kelly Field. But, just looking to refresh my memory, I found a report they landed at International Airport. Funny how all things just a day before the big event are obscured and lost in the following malaise.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:49 AM

Default Brooks Field ?

Probably not. I only remember something about JFK being at Brooks
but I am sure you are correct. I think I can remember watching a film
not on Kennedy but about LBJ, showing the Kennedy deplaning @ Intnatl
recently.
It happened so long ago and I was only a young kid at the time.
My brother ED whom worked at Kelly in the late eighties(?),
I forget what year at a fuel depot in a hangar , where he watched the elder Bush arrive
after the Panamanian invasion.
Ed was told where to stand and don't move, as the Pres strode by.
I remember a story about the elder Bush visiting here on another
occasion during an election campaign and attempting to eat a tamale ,
someplace downtown, before or after a speech,
without removing the corn shuck exterior first.
Or , Maybe it was Gerald Ford, I don't remember ?
It was Ford I believe, the more I think on it.
Who could have known ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Actually Kennedy didn't land at Brooks, he drove in motorcade there. He dedicated the new School of Aerospace Medicine. I watched with many others as the motorcade passed by us on Military Drive. I'm sure I read where he had landed at Kelly Field. But, just looking to refresh my memory, I found a report they landed at International Airport. Funny how all things just a day before the big event are obscured and lost in the following malaise.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:50 AM

My Dad worked at Kelly AFB and I remember him saying that JFK landed there when he came to San Antonio the day before Dallas. Those were days of B&W television and he said that he was suprized to see that Kennedy had reddish brown hair rather than the black hair that appeared on TV. He said the sun shining on it really made the red color stand out.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:08 AM

Default Really,Kelly Field Landing for JFK?

It looked as though the background was the familiar setting at the S.A. International in the film I saw for Kennedy's visit in 1963.
Dad and Grandfather worked at K.A.F.B. also.
I believe it, I was in elementary school at the time.

Quote:
My Dad worked at Kelly AFB and I remember him saying that JFK landed there when he came to San Antonio the day before Dallas. Those were days of B&W television and he said that he was suprized to see that Kennedy had reddish brown hair rather than the black hair that appeared on TV. He said the sun shining on it really made the red color stand out.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:27 AM

I'm pretty sure it was Kelly where he landed. I did a quick google for JFK and Kelly AFB and came up with a link that mentions it. There was also a site that had someone selling 8x10 glossys of JFK and Jackie riding in the motorcade at Kelly the day before the assasination.Kennedy Assassination Chronicles JFK Lancer

Old 04-11-2012, 10:08 AM

3,109 posts, read 8,720,870 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it was Kelly where he landed. I did a quick google for JFK and Kelly AFB and came up with a link that mentions it. There was also a site that had someone selling 8x10 glossys of JFK and Jackie riding in the motorcade at Kelly the day before the assasination.Kennedy Assassination Chronicles JFK Lancer
My dad worked at Kelly AFB and saw JFK land and get off Airforce One at Kelly. I was waiting to see him in Austin the day he was assassinated. His next stop after Dallas was Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio