U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 07:57 AM

97 posts, read 113,313 times

Advertisements

just wanted to say that you are one of the great ones that remember that era-- i did not get out that much but i remember a lot of the places mentioned here on your thread and i for one thank you for those magical moments of my past and so i call you my friend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 06:59 AM

3 posts, read 4,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohnbob View Post
Yes! Thank you for posting about Big John's Steakhouse. Why didn't your mom like him? I want to know the good, the bad, the ugly : ) He was my uncle and I lived down the street from the Steakhouse growing up. In fact, I joined this forum trying to find more people who remember it, as I'm doing research for a family story. My father, Robert H Hamilton recently passed away and I don't want everything lost from that pivotal time in SA. Big John was an actor and businessman (asst Mayor under Jack White). The Steakhouse was home to many a Hollywood/SA late night party with actors such as Jimmy Stewart, Slim Pickens, James Arness and others flying in and staying at Club Seven Oaks and hanging out at Big John's. The restaurant had cow-hide booths, movie star autographed 8x10's, an oyster bar and seperate bar with shuffleboard. It was next to the bowling alley between the Austin Hwy and Eisenhauer. If anyone has any storeis to share about this place or these people, please let me know. Big John was on the SA Film Commission and brought many movies to SA during the 50's--70's, anyone with info... thanks in advance!
Big John just wasn't the sort of person my mom would have been attracted to. She was (is) a Christian and didn't drink or party. She was very attractive and caught the eye of many men but thankfully married my step-father, the recently deceased local attorney Charles Biery. I'm glad someone remembered where the Austin Hwy. kiddie park was.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:53 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,382,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthladay View Post
Anyone remember Big John's Steakhouse with it's huge neon cowboy? It was owned by Big John Hamilton (friend of John Wayne's who appeared in a few of his movies). I remember Big John asking my mother out on a date, but she didn't like him. My father and grandfather owned a lumber yard on the Austin Hwy. when I was very young. They sold it when I was 7 or 8 ('63 or '64).
Where was the lumber yard located along Austin Highway? I've always wondered what was on Austin Highway before we moved to the area in the early 70's. I remember Broughton Motors, the building is still there, but not sure if they are still in business. What other car dealerships were on Austin Highway during the 50's and 60's?

Old 05-08-2012, 08:23 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,426,184 times
I still remember the Shakey's Pizza on Austin Highway, good times.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:59 PM

63 posts, read 229,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
As we entered the lot, friend Izzy lost his balance and his bike fell over. In an instant we knew how badly we had messed up. We watched in horror at the synchronycity of it as the golf balls bounced in unison evenly downhill toward the open sliding doors and inside the store. At the hell we were going to catch from the grown-up clerk for filling the store with the golf balls and for swiping the golf balls.
The clerk never batted an eye and stood there emotionless as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened as we scambled madly to recover the rolling balls
from all over the store and underneath the candy racks.
We escaped unscathed but there was a harrowing experience on san antonio's south side that day..
I believe most of us around know Kennedy stopped here via Brooks Field
before -that fateful day in 1963. That day was one of those like 9-11 where everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing at the
time.
Oh huskster, you sure do know how to make a lady bust a gut laughing ... and then bring her to tears. I remember that afternoon and the next day very vividly.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:22 PM

Been a while since I've been on here. Loving catching up on all the posts. yes, I remember the St Marys skating rink but by the time I discovered it they were allowing us to were jeans, that was in the late '60's.
And I remember when the SA river was not much more than the river. In the late 60's there were a few business' there but not many at all. I went there very often in the fall of '67, it was one of my favorite places.
I remember window shopping downtown as well. Since we were poor we did more window shopping than actually shopping LOL...
For those of you who don't know Earl Abel's in now on Austin Hwy and still has good food.
Bun and Barrell is still there as well.
I remember having milk delivered to the house and the wonderful blue and white ice cream truck that sold ice cream on our street.
So many more wonderful memories, but I must say that 11/22/63 had to be one of the saddest days of my childhood.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:52 PM

5,621 posts, read 13,064,180 times
How many of you old folks remember this sign?

In neon lights the cowboy would throw his rope to one of the cows. Back in the day, that was quite a sign. During the day it looked like this:

Old 06-09-2012, 04:32 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,434,490 times
Default Hello Serene,

If I remember correctly those Navy Blue and White trucks that sold ice cream bars in the sixties were labeled- TINERS Ice cream Trucks. I remember buying ice cream off those people.12 cents a bar. I also remember how serene it was back then in the Riverwalk,as you mentioned it was quiet, sort of an excape from the city above. I used to go down to the River in 67-68 also.
Borden's Dairy used to deliver our milk to the front door.
I was quite surprised to see the Bun and Barrel Restaurant in a sequence in the Selena Bio Movie. Lots of memorable scenes from our city and around it are in that movie.
Are you talking about the fact that all girls were required to wear skirts before you went to the skating rink?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sereneintexas View Post
Been a while since I've been on here. Loving catching up on all the posts. yes, I remember the St Marys skating rink but by the time I discovered it they were allowing us to were jeans, that was in the late '60's.
And I remember when the SA river was not much more than the river. In the late 60's there were a few business' there but not many at all. I went there very often in the fall of '67, it was one of my favorite places.
I remember window shopping downtown as well. Since we were poor we did more window shopping than actually shopping LOL...
For those of you who don't know Earl Abel's in now on Austin Hwy and still has good food.
Bun and Barrell is still there as well.
I remember having milk delivered to the house and the wonderful blue and white ice cream truck that sold ice cream on our street.
So many more wonderful memories, but I must say that 11/22/63 had to be one of the saddest days of my childhood.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:41 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,434,490 times
Default Great Picture Post ,

I remember the moving neon calf-rope sign alright, seeing it at night on the top of Joske's. The guy on horseback would swing the rope and then loop the calf, right? The rope would move onto the calf's neck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post

In neon lights the cowboy would throw his rope to one of the cows. Back in the day, that was quite a sign. During the day it looked like this:

Old 06-09-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I remember that sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio