U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 08:49 PM

63 posts, read 229,064 times

Advertisements

Yes Huckster, it was Tiner's. What I remember was, there were the less expensive ones he got out of the back of the truck, then there were the others like the ones that cost a little more like the nut and chocolate cones that he took out of the door on the side of the truck. That's weird that I remember that.
I thought I had read that girls had to wear skirts at one time to the rink but I might be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 09:38 PM

5,621 posts, read 13,014,408 times
Tiners trucks were actually a light grey and blue. Yeah, the good stuff came out of the side doors. Most of the stuff I bought came out the back doors. Dreamsicles were another nickle more.

Here's a pic of the Alamo, a bad one but considering it was taken close to the date of the battle of the Alamo, it's lucky we can see it at all. The pic was taken about 1845 and for sure before 1849. In 1849 the Army moved a depot into the chapel and rebuilt the current elevation with the round top.

In 1883 the Catholic church took over the chapel area but sold the barracks to a mercantile operation, Hugo and Schmeltzer. Here's what it looked like.

Under pressure to restore the Alamo, the mercantile sold the barracks portion to the DRT back in 1905. In keeping with the theme of the Battle of the Alamo, note the guard tower the merchant erected on top of the barracks.
Here's the Alamo again later on. The dark brick building along side of the Alamo was at one time a sign painting shop. My grandfather was one of seven signature sign painters in the USA. He's the guy that would paint the signs on the sides of buildings back in the day. He also did the gold leaf work on the clock at the Texas University campus in Austin. It's still the same gold leaf work he did back then. His first paint job was on a Mississippi gambling boat. He would hang off the boat on ropes while underway, painting the name on the bow and stearn.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:05 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,426,090 times
Default 60's in High School,

All the girls had to wear skirts in high school. The good old days.
The boys hair could not touch the collar. If at school unshaven, we were
provided a very dull used saftey razor @ the principals office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sereneintexas View Post
Yes Huckster, it was Tiner's. What I remember was, there were the less expensive ones he got out of the back of the truck, then there were the others like the ones that cost a little more like the nut and chocolate cones that he took out of the door on the side of the truck. That's weird that I remember that.
I thought I had read that girls had to wear skirts at one time to the rink but I might be wrong.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:08 PM

114,169 posts, read 54,151,441 times
Those are some great photos TrapperL ! Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post

yep, we had to wear skirts all through high school. One teacher had us get on our knees and if the skirt did not touch the floor it was considered too short.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:29 AM

Default I remember,

This kneeling part for skirts touching as being a prerequisite for the dress code
for girls.
Unless of course they were cheerleaders.
When my Family moved from s.a.i.s.d. to the n.s.i.s.d.
that rule was not in effect for girls. Nor was the hair length for boys the same.
Almost anything went with the exception of excessively long hair for boys.
At Highlands High,southside, all were still in the sixties mode, puffy high hair for the girls ,western boots or pointy shoes for the boys.
Then came the move. At Holmes High School the the entire atmosphere,
and style of students was Hippie-like. Long hair and strange words and phrases I had never heard used like-- Bummer and far out .
With expendable income for the kids came-Lots of Dope at Holmes High in the late sixties and nice cars for the boys. That was a nice area back then
not inner city but the distant suburb.
Forget F.F.A. programs no such thing - now there was a preppie type of atmosphere, no shop, auto shop, no trade school atmosphere for anyone. Drafting class was as low tech as Holmes High went in their curriculum. It was culture shock into a new age for me.
Left behind was the old redneck type atmosphere that was at Highlands High-
change to the Hard Rock Genre. No more western boots worn at achool, not even occasionally.This new culture was what was socially acceptable now,
by 1970 on the trendy northside. The hair styles on boys seemed very,very strange to me ,I remember. The kids all tried to look like the Beatles.
Talk about feeling out of place, I was sixteen.
Quote:
yep, we had to wear skirts all through high school. One teacher had us get on our knees and if the skirt did not touch the floor it was considered too short.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:47 AM

8,578 posts, read 5,969,297 times
Quote:

Yes, we couldn't wear jeans, slacks or shorts. Nothing but skirts or dresses.

Quote:
Oh how well I remember that! Kneeling in home room so the teacher could check the length of our skirts!

Quote:
This kneeling part for skirts touching as being a prerequisite for the dress code
for girls.
Unless of course they were cheerleaders.
When my Family moved from s.a.i.s.d. to the n.s.i.s.d.
that rule was not in effect for girls. Nor was the hair length for boys the same.
Almost anything went with the exception of excessively long hair for boys.
At Highlands High,southside, all were still in the sixties mode, puffy high hair for the girls ,western boots or pointy shoes for the boys.
Then came the move. At Holmes High School the the entire atmosphere,
and style of students was Hippie-like. Long hair and strange words and phrases I had never heard used like-- Bummer and far out .
With expendable income for the kids came-Lots of Dope at Holmes High in the late sixties and nice cars for the boys. That was a nice area back then
not inner city but the distant suburb.
Forget F.F.A. programs no such thing - now there was a preppie type of atmosphere, no shop, auto shop, no trade school atmosphere for anyone. Drafting class was as low tech as Holmes High went in their curriculum. It was culture shock into a new age for me.
Left behind was the old redneck type atmosphere that was at Highlands High-
change to the Hard Rock Genre. No more western boots worn at achool, not even occasionally.This new culture was what was socially acceptable now,
by 1970 on the trendy northside. The hair styles on boys seemed very,very strange to me ,I remember. The kids all tried to look like the Beatles.
Talk about feeling out of place, I was sixteen.
I was at SAISD too! Edison - 1967 through 1969. Lots of big hair, boots, jeans on the guys, Wood shop and auto shop for the guys. Seems like a lifetime ago and I'm reminded of that fact every time I see how high school kids dress these days. Actually makes me kind of sad. When the stricter rules went away, so did a lot of the respect. Ok... I'll hush. Don't want to stray off topic.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:04 PM

Default Yes, Lily,

We did not talk back to the teachers or staff here in San Antonio back then. Respect for elders was very much in effect in those days.
Smart aleckiness is fostered in kids today. As if to teach them that noone is going to buffalo them , no matter what. This uncorrected behavior in chidren is backfiring, in my opinion.
We would get our butts busted for being out of line back then. Today,
there are no consequences for any serious errant behavior for kids until it is too late.
Nothing serious, just a lick or two but you knew and remembered what
was appropriate behavior and what was not.
Some public school systems in some less prosperous districts across the country are re-instating dress codes like the ones we had here so long ago to attempt to instill in the kids some sense of seriousness about their education .
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post

Oh how well I remember that! Kneeling in home room so the teacher could check the length of our skirts!

I was at SAISD too! Edison - 1967 through 1969. Lots of big hair, boots, jeans on the guys, Wood shop and auto shop for the guys. Seems like a lifetime ago and I'm reminded of that fact every time I see how high school kids dress these days. Actually makes me kind of sad. When the stricter rules went away, so did a lot of the respect. Ok... I'll hush. Don't want to stray off topic.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
Actually makes me kind of sad. When the stricter rules went away, so did a lot of the respect. Ok... I'll hush. Don't want to stray off topic.
Don't mean to pirate the topic either, but LilyLady you are so right, and from there, for many youngsters, seems like it went downhill.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:22 AM

huckster, what you describe from highlands is what it was like at burbank, at least untill I graduated in '69. Attended south san til '67, from what I remember from there was pretty much the same, except of course for the FFA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio