U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 02:47 AM

19 posts, read 46,152 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember the Dog House restaurant that used to be on the corner of S W Military Dr and Somerset Rd? Or the Spotted Horse that was at S W Military and I35? And what about the pizza place further east on Military Dr, was it Colona's Pizza???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 03:03 AM

63 posts, read 229,271 times
As a matter of fact, alamocitygirl, I remember all of those places. The Dog House and the Spotted Horse were both popular hang outs. I remember the pizza place, but not sure of the name. Their pizza was unique. That was the first pizza I ever had as a kid.
If you remember these, you might remember Kelly's which was right across the street from the old South San High on, what I believe was Dwight Ave at that time, its now Southcross. It was a small place that sold hot dogs, hamburgers, chips, candy, ice cream, etc. I think it was only open before school, at lunch time, and after school for a short period of time. I believe it was primarily in business to serve the school kids. As best as I can remember there was always a long line which extended out the door and down the sidewalk. The people who owned it lived in a house next to the little store.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 7,834 times
Does anyone remember.....Cap'n Jims, I believe, Roosevelt at Southcross? Last I knew, a Bill Miller BBQ is on that spot.....

Or the Jim's Frontier Burger on the Austin Highway......near where it crossed Harry Wurzbach? Or the Bun 'n' Barrel?

alamocitygirl, sereneintexas, I remember the places you mention....thanks for very pleasant recollections...and please continue the interesting posts!

And, my father spend 34 yrs at Duncan Field/Kelly AFB, retiring in 1976.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSoundMan View Post
Does anyone remember.....Cap'n Jims, I believe, Roosevelt at Southcross? Last I knew, a Bill Miller BBQ is on that spot.....

Or the Jim's Frontier Burger on the Austin Highway......near where it crossed Harry Wurzbach? Or the Bun 'n' Barrel?

alamocitygirl, sereneintexas, I remember the places you mention....thanks for very pleasant recollections...and please continue the interesting posts!

And, my father spend 34 yrs at Duncan Field/Kelly AFB, retiring in 1976.
Oh yes, MacSoundMan! I still think they should have made Cap'n Jims a historical site. That was one cool place! Yeah, there is a Bill Miller's there.

I remember Jim's Frontiers but the Jim's Frontier I remember best was the one on Broadway, across from the old ButterKrust Bakery. My first year at San Antonio College I used to eat lunch there almost every day and had the same thing practically every time ~~~ Jim's Smokey Burger and fries with tea.

and... How about that ButterKrust Bakery. Don't know if it's still there. When you drove by you'd smell fresh baked bread uuummmmm!!! The last few times I've been in the area I didn't smell it so it's probably gone. Where I don't know, but the stores do still sell ButterKrust, don't they???

Believe it are not, the Bun and Barrel is still there! Of course not the same owner. I'm not sure who exactly opened it in 1950, but now a guy by the name of Carlos owns it. And they still have curb service, there's a sign out front that says "Honk for curb service".

We'll never forget Kelly Field! My Uncle worked there too and retired many years ago.

Oh, and what about Playland Park across Alamo street from Jim's on Broadway? That was one of the places to be! Remember......

Old 06-12-2007, 06:42 PM

Smile other fun spots...........

How about the Dairy Mart at the corner of Laredo Highway and what used to be Dwight Ave (now Southcross)? I think this existed before Dairy Queen, or at least before Dairy Queen got so popular. My sister carhopped there back in the early '60's.
Then there was another drivein restaurant down on S E Military, east of South Presa, almost across from Brooks AFB. Oh, yes, I remember the name now, it was The Flame, I believe..... Does anyone remember that place from the '60's?

Old 06-12-2007, 06:47 PM

106 posts, read 416,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sereneintexas View Post
Oh, yes, I remember the name now, it was The Flame, I believe..... Does anyone remember that place from the '60's?
The Flame was at the corner of Old Corpus Christi Hwy and Military. My uncle used to take me out there on Sunday nights (it was a hot rod hang out back in the day).

Old 06-12-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaTexan View Post
The Flame was at the corner of Old Corpus Christi Hwy and Military. My uncle used to take me out there on Sunday nights (it was a hot rod hang out back in the day).
Yeah, it was a hot rod hand out! I think it's a mexican food restaurant now.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:20 AM

Default coffee shop

When I first moved to SA there was a coffee shop on Military Drive. It sat between commercial and pleasanton rd, I think. Can't remember the name, was it KP's or DJ's or something like that. It was open all night and a lot of us young people liked hanging out there. I'm not sure why, I guess it was as good a place as any for those of us who didn't hang out in bars. Seemed like it was a favorite hangout for police officers as well. This was, like in the 70's.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:18 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,425,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamocitygirl View Post
When I first moved to SA there was a coffee shop on Military Drive. It sat between commercial and pleasanton rd, I think. Can't remember the name, was it KP's or DJ's or something like that. It was open all night and a lot of us young people liked hanging out there. I'm not sure why, I guess it was as good a place as any for those of us who didn't hang out in bars. Seemed like it was a favorite hangout for police officers as well. This was, like in the 70's.
Yes Alamogirl it was called KP's I remember when I was younger my grandparents would take us there for breakfast and it was awesome. There is now a cellular phone store at that location.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:07 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,253,139 times
'Teen Canteen' by Blossom Athletic Center? Did I dream that was there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio