U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 11:26 AM

3 posts, read 2,227 times

Advertisements

Pictures I saw have the following link:
[URL]http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-antonio/88908-1969-prior-san-antone-5.html[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 11:30 AM

3 posts, read 2,227 times
FOR GY2020: Saw one of the pictures under GY2020 today under San Antone prior to 1969. One picture in particular shows three young boys riding horses. Two of the boys have a very close resemblance to my brother and me. Was wondering where that picture might have come from. Thanks.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:55 AM

457 posts, read 466,301 times
Just a line to keep this thread alive.....

Old 05-17-2016, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flora68 View Post
I was! I was!... in Mr. Greenlee's chorus, and summer of '68 was great! I graduated in May, but chorus went on. I remember we girls wore navy blue dresses and mustard yellow (!) shoes (Alamo Heights' colors are blue and gold). I still remember a lot of the national anthems (or at least the alto part), particularly those of Mexico, Guatemala, Italy, France, and Canada.

Mr. Greenlee was an amazing musician and educator and a great person all the way around, and we were lucky to get to study under him. The acapella choir got a lot of outside gigs; I remember wearing a floor-length formal to sing for a conference or convention at the St. Anthony Hotel. Of course, we got into HemisFair for free when we were singing there (which was pretty often), and we could spend as much time there after the gig as we wanted to. I loved HemisFair. Especially the youth pavilion with it's hippie-poster shop and hippie-type Indian jewelry. There were free concerts there all the time....

But my favorite places to hang out in HemisFair were the U.S. and Texas Pavilions; because of the awesome films they showed there. At the U.S. Pavilion, now a courthouse, they showed a film called "US" by the late Hugh O'Connor, and if I could get a copy of that I'd die a very happy mule (Alamo Heights mascot). And at the former Texas Pavilion, they still project the same "dome show" on the multi-paneled domed ceiling at the center of what's now the Institute of Texan Cultures. I've probably seen it 100 times. And when I wasn't inside the gates that summer, I was just outside, campaigning for Eugene McCarthy. Man, those were the days. We had so much hope...
I was in the choir too. I don't remember nearly as much about it as Flora68, perhaps because I was new to Alamo Heights H.S. in the Fall of 1967 ... and I don't remember the Hemisfair gigs being so much fun.

Harold Greenlee was a great guy and a good choir director. He gave us a lot of encouragement and chances to succeed (or fail). I cringe when I think of how young and stupid I was! BUT I did manage to meet a great girlfriend in the choir.

I remember going to the opera with Mr. Greenlee to see Robert Merrill and, I think, a very young Placido Domingo.

That was an interesting time ... the murders of Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy, the War, "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay" and "Hey Jude." And then there was Coach Andrews, who had to paddle somebody every day in phys ed. Corporal punishment alive and well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio