U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 06:01 PM

19 posts, read 46,144 times

Advertisements

thanks for sharing hemisfan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 06:35 PM

27 posts, read 97,394 times
I remember "Burger Chef" on Military Drive close to the Rainbow Lounge (Go Go Girls) across from Lackland AFB. I believe they went out of business because I a lot of food was given away!

Old 07-18-2007, 03:49 AM

63 posts, read 229,064 times
Default a nostagic ride

My mom, my sister and I took a drive yesterday out thru Palo Alto heights (where we lived when we were kids), out Poteet Hwy, and thru Poteet. How things have changed. It we hadn't known where we were we wouldn't have recognized the places we saw. PA heights used to be just barely in the city limits. From Villaret south it was nothing but countryside. Does anyone remember that area back then?

Later, my sister and I drove through parts of what used to be Kelly Field. The houses where the officers used to live appeared to be mostly empty. It's ashamed that those wonderful old buildings couldn't be restored. It seemed so weird driving through there. Does anyone know when those old houses were built, I'm guessing maybe, WWII era? One or several of them would make a great military museum. After all Randolph AFB was designated as a National Historical Landmark on August 7,2001, Lackland has the Gateway Historical Collection, Fort Sam Houston has a Museum and is a National Historic Landmark, and Brooks has got Hangar 9. The proceeds could go to the VA hospital or someplace benefiting our veterans.

Last edited by sereneintexas; 07-18-2007 at 05:14 AM..

Old 07-18-2007, 06:54 AM

5,635 posts, read 13,970,714 times
One thing that has always bugged me is why San Antonio does not have a world-class air museum. The reason is because San Antonio used to be THE PLACE for aviation in the last century. We have nothing to show for it now! We need something like the Smithsonian Air Museum here.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:19 PM

Yeah, TexasNick, something like that would be great! Of course, I probably had something smaller in mind, but I believe Kelly Field would be a great spot.
Maybe someone with the money and the smarts to get it done will read this site. If I knew who that one might be I'd contact them myself and make the suggestion, but I haven't the foggiest idea who'd be willing and able to accomplish such a task..

Old 07-18-2007, 03:21 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,277,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sereneintexas View Post
My mom, my sister and I took a drive yesterday out thru Palo Alto heights (where we lived when we were kids), out Poteet Hwy, and thru Poteet. How things have changed. It we hadn't known where we were we wouldn't have recognized the places we saw. PA heights used to be just barely in the city limits. From Villaret south it was nothing but countryside. Does anyone remember that area back then?
Quite Well. I grew up on Gillette between Zarzamora and Rockwell. Back in my childhood, Malley was almost completely deserted, and none of the subdivision Zachary put up between Gillette and Malley existed. It was all pasture and mesquite trees. My neighbors used to dove and rabbit hunt in the section closest to Zarzamora. From the time I was crawling, I was sneaking out to the pasture to play. I would wander that area for a couple miles in any direction.

My next door neighbor used to raise roosters. Yeah, you know what for. He was a supplier, not a competitor, and chickens will crow all day and night; not just at dawn. After a few years you don't even notice them anymore.

I remember when the Stop-n-Go was built and when the Rec Center was built. The first one was built partially underground with sloping sides indoors. I used to sit on the sloped wall in the gym and wait for a chance to play basketball. Before the Rec Center, I used to walk to and from school (Hutchins Elem) and would take a shortcut across the vacant property the Rec Center was built on. There used to be a little pond/lake in the middle of it. The elderly gentleman that lived next door used to have a fit when he would catch us crossing the property because he was afraid one of us would be tempted to play in that pond and drown.

I remember how empty and dark Zarzamorra was between Gillette and Poteet Hwy. Remember the Chinese Cemetary in there? It was almost hidden from the road and only a narrow dirt track lead into it. There were no lights anywhere around. A high school chum claimed he used to drive Zarzamorra through those curves at night with no headlights. He was still alive, so I had my doubts.

When I was older, my car broke down on Poteet Hwy as I was going to see my grandmother. I was stuck on the road not far from the Church near Royal Oaks. Back then there was nothing for several miles around that church, at least that could be seen from the road. I drove by there a few weeks ago and was astounded by how many houses are in sight of the church now, also at how much the church has expanded. The grotto did not exist back in those days.

Yep, I remember it well.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:41 AM

55 posts, read 191,005 times
Back when I was a little shaver in the early '60s, we would take a family vacation to San Antonio and stay at the Westerner Motel located on what I thought was Broadway, but in reality was Austin Highway. I thought that place was so big because it had TWO swimming pools. After I moved here in '76, I did a city directory search at the old main library on St. Mary's Street, and discovered that the propoerty had dissolved into an infamous $3 Motel. My how things have changed.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:06 AM

12 posts, read 27,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
One thing that has always bugged me is why San Antonio does not have a world-class air museum...

So close to landing the Confederate Air Force at one point - losing out to Midland. Although, I think in the future the CAF (or whatever its called now) may give us a second look.

There are or were some great planes scattered around Kelly/Lackland at one point...unfortunately we lost the XC-99 to Wright-Patterson Museum in Ohio in the 90s. Would be nice for the AF to retire a C-5, KC-135 and B52 to a "Kelly USA Museum" to get things started.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:41 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,420,208 times
Question for everyone out there, anyone remember Mickey Mantle's country cookin? I have heard abuot these but wondered where they were located.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:34 PM

Default mickey mantle's

nope! willsatx, don't know if there was ever one in SA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio