U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 11:27 AM

35 posts, read 64,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylips View Post
Wow ! what great memories. Downtown was the place to be, a sea of blue all the men in uniform from Lackland. Then there was Sommers drugstore, the majestic theater,Coney island. Window shopping was great fun in the mid 50's ,all the windows would be decorated to fit the season
How could anyone forget the Fantasy Land at Joske's, it was magic,the trains,the snow and of course Santa. We could spend hours looking,afterwards a cup of hot chocolate at the Chuck Wagon made for a perfect day..In those days a lot of folks didn't have air conditioners so a stroll thru Joske's during the summer was a cool way to go .

I remember Better Home ice cream, as a matter of fact I had my first after school job there. I was a carhop,also learned how to make some great fountain drinks. In the back was where they made five gallon buckets of ice cream. Mr. Cannon would let me try all the new flavors. I think peach was my favorite, actually I liked all of them.
Graduating from high school I got a job at Joskes in the display dept. decorating or "trimming" windows and setting up other displays in the store. What a fun job, expecially at Christmas. Dan G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 10:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,647 times
Thanks to all of you for the memories.
I left SA in 1974 and have never lost my love for the city. Blue Dog you really brought back memories of great times., you literally retraced my life in SA. I lived in the Culebra, Callaghan, and Bandera Rd. area. My first job was at Joske's Las Palmas, then Rhodes
at Wonderland, after college my office was in the Tower Life Bldg. First Mate, Davilla's
and Jim's Hamburgers at Culebra/24th./Bandera were part of my daily routine. Perhaps
someone can help me remember the name of the nice Italian resturant that sat next to the Varsity Drive In, I think it was owned by Joe Anthony, the radio DJ. Thanks to all
for the memories and if any of you have any pictures of these resturants or the area,
please post them..

Old 05-04-2008, 11:55 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,557,657 times
If you'd like a good read I found this while searching for something else. It's about the early days in San Antonio:

San Antonio de Bexar: A Guide and ... - Google Book Search

If you don't want to read it on-line it will let you download a .pdf file.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,457 times
Does anyone remember a James Brown Concert in San Antonio back in l968 or was it in 1969? Also that same evening after the concert a city bus loaded with passengers was hijack and the bus driver and a young girl was stab! If anyone happen to know the exact year and month that it happen please let me know. I would really like to know more details of that sad event. Thank you, Gina

Old 10-23-2008, 05:05 PM

Default Just south of the Victoria Courts

I've been reading these threads from different people that want to hear from more people my age or there around that can remember Joskes and the Transit Tower and all kinds of things such as this and I can relate some pretty good history of SA. My first job out of high school was at Joskes in the display dept. so I actually got to work on setting up many of the display windows on Alamo St and many others. Never did get to help set up Fantasy Land though. Also someone asked about Hipps Bubble Room...I remember it well. I spent many an afternoon in a booth there doing my homework when I got out out of class at SAC, having a beer and a burger. Got a response from Gina to one of my previous quotes but haven't been able to find it again
Dan G

Old 10-23-2008, 05:19 PM

Default Job at Joskes

Yeah they used to call it trimming the windows at Joskes and it was a really fun job. I remember Mr. Winnek was the boss and his wife was my sponsor for the newspaper at Highlands High and one day she visited him on the job at the store when I happened to be in the office and when I happened to say hello to her his look indicated he wasn't very pleased that I spoke to her. Oh well, she was my teacher, too bad. I could probably write a book about growing up where I did just off of S. Presa. More later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan G View Post
Graduating from high school I got a job at Joskes in the display dept. decorating or "trimming" windows and setting up other displays in the store. What a fun job, expecially at Christmas. Dan G

Old 10-23-2008, 10:57 PM

4,794 posts, read 10,067,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginahpg View Post
Does anyone remember a James Brown Concert in San Antonio back in l968 or was it in 1969? Also that same evening after the concert a city bus loaded with passengers was hijack and the bus driver and a young girl was stab! If anyone happen to know the exact year and month that it happen please let me know. I would really like to know more details of that sad event. Thank you, Gina
Hello Gina...welcome to city data! I don't know anything personally about the incident or that concert. If you have a chance to go to the downtown library, the Texana department has all the SA newspapers on micro film. They are very helpful and might be able to locate the story for you. Good luck!

Old 10-24-2008, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,457 times
Thank you wCat for that information. I will go and do the search.
God Bless you, Gina

Old 10-29-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by di_is_in_tx View Post
Yes spaceage007, it was real cool growing up next to the Alamo. My family lived there for about 25 years. We left the area about 1967 right before Hemisfair 68 came about. Actually my address was 111 Elm and it was no nightmare on Elm street either! hehehe Ok, I have to stop saying that...Not!!! Actually starting from the Elm Street area away from where the Rivercenter Mall is, there were mostly homes. My home was sandwiched between buildings as other homes going past Bowie Street were. We had to leave because the property was sold. The lady that owned our home....get this....her home was the only one situated in this large parking lot right in back of Joskes, which is Dillards now. She refused to sell for many years. Anyway, with the Hemisfair 68 coming in all that area was being bought out. The Riverwalk then was the Riverwalk....what else can I say. It was much darker in those days I must admit. When Hemisfair 68 came in, our city was really in the limelight. It's hard to forget the lights during Christmas and the River Parades. It was fun growing up as a child in downtown San Antonio. I must have pics somewhere! I will try to find some. Now don't hold your breath ok! :-P
Yeah I remember exactly where you used to live. I've been reading some of these quotes about growing up around downtown. I grew up just south of downtown off S. Presa, around the 1400 block. We were in walking distance of downtown and did so many many times. Joske's was my first job out of high school and in the display dept. trimming the display windows and lots of the displays inside. This was 1963 and there are some great memories to share from back then. More to follow. Dan G

Old 10-29-2008, 05:33 PM

99,074 posts, read 25,815,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BL59 View Post
Thanks to all of you for the memories.
I left SA in 1974 and have never lost my love for the city. Blue Dog you really brought back memories of great times., you literally retraced my life in SA. I lived in the Culebra, Callaghan, and Bandera Rd. area. My first job was at Joske's Las Palmas, then Rhodes
at Wonderland, after college my office was in the Tower Life Bldg. First Mate, Davilla's
and Jim's Hamburgers at Culebra/24th./Bandera were part of my daily routine. Perhaps
someone can help me remember the name of the nice Italian resturant that sat next to the Varsity Drive In, I think it was owned by Joe Anthony, the radio DJ. Thanks to all
for the memories and if any of you have any pictures of these resturants or the area,
please post them..
I remember Joe Anthony and his Pizza place! Joe, I believe lived just south of Fort Sam off Grayson or forget which Street. Just east of New Braunfels maybe a block from the south gate! Did work in the Pizza place in 70's also his house! All those wine bottles hanging from the ceiling and dark inside! Didn't know he was a DJ but saw photos of him with celebrities. If I remember the name of the place I'll post it! When young , we went to the Varsity many times! We always went to Jim's Frontier for food first! Wow!! just realized I responded to a post which is about 5 months old!!

Last edited by SATX56; 10-29-2008 at 06:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio