U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2008, 05:00 PM

22 posts, read 68,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Question for everyone out there, anyone remember Mickey Mantle's country cookin? I have heard abuot these but wondered where they were located.
Yes there was a Mickey Mantles in Central Park mall. It was upstairs on the north edge of the central mall ent"rance. It did not stay there long. Over one the "gone but not forgotten thread we worked this vague memroy out that several of us had of this place. I never ate there but can remember standing just inside the door checking it out. They had a life size cardboard cutout of Mickey welcoming people at the front door they also had some memorabilia in side the front door. I also remember a lot of oak woods and red carpet. I thought for most of my life in was in North Star Mall but I was wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 08:10 PM

15,926 posts, read 7,165,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
'Teen Canteen' by Blossom Athletic Center? Did I dream that was there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sereneintexas View Post
hey, mimimomx3, I don't know where Teen Canteen was by it did exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
hey, mimimomx3, I don't know where Teen Canteen was by it did exist. I never went there but I remember hearing about it.
It was by the Blossom Athletic Center/sort of by the airport...there was nothing out there!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeche View Post
MR Naturals was a cool shop next to Demos on ST Marys back in 1973.
Dang, I went to teen canteen way back then, It was run by some DJ from KSAT, I beleive. Does any one remember his name??? Last time I was there, I got kicked out for hugging the toilet, and trying to pass out. Very rude of them!!! LOL

I also remember Mr. Naturals on St. Mary's. Bought a real "groovy" rap around dress there, among other things!

The Frontier on Austin Hwy, was so cool, you would always run into some one you knew.

My Dad was stationed at Ft.Sam '55 - '58, and I went to 1st & 2nd grade at Incarnate Word. Yes, it used to have a grade school, I remember Sister Theresa Caramel walking us 1st graders to the High School Home - EC dept., so they could sew our costumes for the Big school play.

I remember going to NIOSA in '57 and no one was there. I lost a tooth in a candy apple. I remember eating at Casa Rio, and feeding corn tortillas to the giant carp in the S.A. River

When my Dad retired here in '65, it was a great place to grow up. Graduated in 1970, from Alamo Heights. The Anti-prom, concerts at Sunken Gardens, Municipal Auditorium, and the Arena.

Remember when everyone used to "hang out" at Sunken Gardens, and North East Preserves. Remember hitchiking all over town. Remember the Minds Eye, Oat Willies, Shivas Head Band, and Truckers.

Dang, those were the days. Glad I'm still alive to remember them

Old 10-31-2008, 05:32 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,986,685 times
Geez - St. Joseph's - my great grandfather donated the land it was built on. He managed to somehow tie up the deed so that they couldn't sell it apparently, which is why Joske's had to build around it. He was a cooper back then - built water tanks, vats, etc. - primarily out of cypress wood. I've tried for years to find one of the old tanks without success - but one day I will. I DID find a ranch that he built a LOT of cypress piping for - I can't begin to imagine the labor involved in that! Still have a few of his old tools...
Grew up in Leon Valley - I'm thinking Bruce Hathaway had the teen club out by Blossom. I can remember it seemed SO far away back in HS! Anyone remember the old "dip" at the Fredericksburg road exit off of Loop 410 East? We used to beg our Dad to hit that dip and make our stomachs "flip!"
The old trampolines out off of San Pedro inside of Loop 410 - same complex where the batting cages and skating rink were. I know the rink is still there - the cages, too - but I'm sure the trampolines went long ago.
And the miniature golf course off of Fredericksburg - our favorite! Cool Crest - it's still there, and I'm taking our grandson there next weekend. Took my own kids there as well - they loved it.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:36 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,986,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeta2 View Post
I remember Mutt Radicke auto parts on Fredricksburg. Also that locksmith shop a little further south, next to the donut shop.
Radicke's is still around - Mutt's son Bubbie runs it. It's just a bit further down on Fredericksburg, across from Jefferson State Bank - where the Honda m/c dealer used to be.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:33 PM

3 posts, read 5,281 times
Default Guns in The Truck

Hey,

Born in Texas, moved to Pennsylvania (unfortunately) 20 years ago, have told many friends from here (PA) about high class school friends (in TX) with gun racks (wasn't that the norm?) - they just don't get it.

They're clueless.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,053 times
Thanks satx56 for the response, 5, 6, 7, months no problem, just happy to know memory not
totally gone. As you can see, it takes me awhile to get back to the forum. Yes I remember
the wine bottles hanging from the ceiling and the dark inside. This is a wonderful forum and
even though many years have passed, it still brings back great memories of a simplier time and place. Thanks to all of you that contribute.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:07 PM

63 posts, read 228,616 times
I'm so glad to see there is still an interest in this thread.
I recently read about the Gray Eagle Inn at 7310 Somerset Road. We lived just 2-3 miles south of there off Palo Alto Road. My dad used to spend a lot of time there back in the 50's. Does anyone remember it? Were any of you around when the plane crashed nearby? I was less than a year old so I don't remember it. Here's one of the articles I found interesting.

[url="http://http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/columnists/paula_allen/Paula_Allen_Readers_recall_old_tavern.html"]

Old 01-08-2009, 09:13 AM

63 posts, read 228,616 times
Default storywood arena or gillespie ranch?

Does anyone remember the Storywood Arena on Vance Jackson some where north of Fredricksburg Road. It was a rodeo arena. My brother says it was there in the late 40's and early 50's and at that time it was mostly country north of Fredriksburg Road. He says that the Gillespie ranch was some where out there too.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,512 times
does anyone remember Divins auto parts on pleasanton rd. or kidde city.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:16 PM

114,159 posts, read 54,004,420 times
Quote:
I'm so glad to see there is still an interest in this thread.
I recently read about the Gray Eagle Inn at 7310 Somerset Road. We lived just 2-3 miles south of there off Palo Alto Road. My dad used to spend a lot of time there back in the 50's. Does anyone remember it? Were any of you around when the plane crashed nearby? I was less than a year old so I don't remember it. Here's one of the articles I found interesting.

[url="http://http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/columnists/paula_allen/Paula_Allen_Readers_recall_old_tavern.html"]
Yes, I've tried to dig up info on the old "Gray Eagle" would like to know more about its origins. A plane crashed on 40 th or 41st street off Old Hwy 90 West!! Took out a house or two . I went and checked it out right after it happened. 70's I guess!

Quote:
Does anyone remember the Storywood Arena on Vance Jackson some where north of Fredricksburg Road. It was a rodeo arena. My brother says it was there in the late 40's and early 50's and at that time it was mostly country north of Fredriksburg Road. He says that the Gillespie ranch was some where out there too.
Wasn't many years back that the Gillespie ranch was still there. Didn't Wal Mart build on that property? Just north of I-10 off Vance Jackson(not West??) on west side of street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewllaw View Post
does anyone remember Divins auto parts on pleasanton rd. or kidde city.
Remember them well. Remember Griff's, Taco Hut, and Orange Julius built the little bldg in Model Market's parking lot?? That little Bldg is still there . Mr. Divin's is long gone . "Rocky's Taco's" is now in his old bldg.!! "Rolando's" has taken over Taco Hut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio