Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 10:09 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blabride View Post
Yes there was a Mickey Mantles in Central Park mall. It was upstairs on the north edge of the central mall ent"rance. It did not stay there long. Over one the "gone but not forgotten thread we worked this vague memroy out that several of us had of this place. I never ate there but can remember standing just inside the door checking it out. They had a life size cardboard cutout of Mickey welcoming people at the front door they also had some memorabilia in side the front door. I also remember a lot of oak woods and red carpet. I thought for most of my life in was in North Star Mall but I was wrong.
So was it right outside of Dillards? I remember something being right outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 12:56 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,155,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Anyone remember the old "dip" at the Fredericksburg road exit off of Loop 410 East? We used to beg our Dad to hit that dip and make our stomachs "flip!"
I'm late to this but I definitely remember the dip as you exited off 410 to Fredericksburg Rd coming from Bandera Rd...I was a kid then but we would drive to Wonderland Mall in the early to mid 70s and I also got my Dad to drive a little faster as we exited because of that dip! I had totally forgotten about that...

Old 01-18-2009, 05:05 PM

63 posts, read 258,752 times
I remember Kiddie City. To a 10 year old that was a really neat store. Up till then I can't say that I had ever been in a toy store before.

Satx56, You might be right about the location of the ranch, I'm not sure.

I remember Griff's, we used to go there a lot on sunday's and get hambergers 10 for a dollar. From what I recall they consisted of a bun, a pattie, a squirt of catsup and one slice of pickle. To a poor kid that was a real treat back then. LOL

Say there used to be a little mexican resturant on Palo Alto Rd near Navajo St. We went there a lot on sunday's too. Now they had some really good carne quisada tacos, in fact I don't know of any place nowadays that makes them as good as I remember those being. I wish I could remember the name of that place.

What about the Piggly Wiggly stores that used to be in town, ya'll remember those?

Here is an article on the Gray Eagle that I found of interest.

Paula Allen: Readers recall old tavern (http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/columnists/paula_allen/Paula_Allen_Readers_recall_old_tavern.html - broken link)

Old 01-24-2009, 09:40 AM

My sister just remembered the name of the little mexican resturant on Palo Alto Rd. It was See and Eat. They really had some wonderful tacos.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:17 PM

570 posts, read 1,286,640 times
Does anyone remember a place called 'The Moulin Rouge' on Fredericksburg road?
It had a piano bar. I think the piano player's name was Al Conklin and the drummer was an old fellow by the name of 'Brad'. They played most every night.
Also there was a small mexican restaurant in the downtown area called 'Mitla'. They made great soft tacos. Is it still around?
And what about 'Cool Crest' miniture golf course?
I think it was located somewhere on Fredericksburg road (not sure ???)

Old 01-24-2009, 01:50 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sereneintexas View Post
I remember Kiddie City. To a 10 year old that was a really neat store. Up till then I can't say that I had ever been in a toy store before.

Satx56, You might be right about the location of the ranch, I'm not sure.

What Ranch?? Maybe I didn't read back far enough.

I remember Griff's, we used to go there a lot on sunday's and get hambergers 10 for a dollar. From what I recall they consisted of a bun, a pattie, a squirt of catsup and one slice of pickle. To a poor kid that was a real treat back then. LOL

Say there used to be a little mexican resturant on Palo Alto Rd near Navajo St. We went there a lot on sunday's too. Now they had some really good carne quisada tacos, in fact I don't know of any place nowadays that makes them as good as I remember those being. I wish I could remember the name of that place.

There's been so many little cafe's and restaurants come and go along Somerset Road and Palo Alto.

What about the Piggly Wiggly stores that used to be in town, ya'll remember those?
I recall several!!
Here is an article on the Gray Eagle that I found of interest.

Paula Allen: Readers recall old tavern (http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/columnists/paula_allen/Paula_Allen_Readers_recall_old_tavern.html - broken link)
Great article, thank you Serene!! First time I've ever seen anything about the Gray Eagle and have always been curious . Been in it many years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sereneintexas View Post
My sister just remembered the name of the little mexican resturant on Palo Alto Rd. It was See and Eat. They really had some wonderful tacos.

No telling!!

[quote=LastStraw;7151568]Does anyone remember a place called 'The Moulin Rouge' on Fredericksburg road?
It had a piano bar. I think the piano player's name was Al Conklin and the drummer was an old fellow by the name of 'Brad'. They played most every night.
Also there was a small mexican restaurant in the downtown area called 'Mitla'. They made great soft tacos. Is it still around?
And what about 'Cool Crest' miniture golf course?
I think it was located somewhere on Fredericksburg road (not sure ???)

Mitla sounds familiar. Cool Crest far as I know is still there. A photo of there sign can be found in GBNF files attachments.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:06 AM

Default another good restuant

Another good mexican resturant which is no longer around was on Nogalitos, a couple of doors north of 35, on the right going towards town. It had a really small parking lot in the front, maybe parking across the street. Does anyone remember that one? Can't remember the name but use to love going there. We went there a lot when I was still in high school then sometime in the early to mid seventies it closed.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,027 times
Default St. Mary's school and church

Does anyone remember ST. Mary's School as it was in 1953. The school was in the basement of the Church where they had grades 1 through 12. The school was moved across the street and students and teachers would travel to the church each morning under St.Marys street via a tunnel. I wonder if the old school basement is still there. I also remember after leaving the Air Force I worked for Hope ambulance service. This was before the city had EMS ambulance service under the umbrella of the Fire Department. There were two major ambulance services at that time Hope and Don's. At times you would see both of them doing 90 miles an hour down the I-10 Freeway ( They were called Expressways then ) trying to scoop the other. That was what was so cool about working for either company, the Expressways could be used as a autobahn. You could see the Driver and the Spook ( the Drivers Assistance ) at the princess Drive Inn on Broadway eating and waiting for a call. The old radio station KTSA would dedicate songs to them from girls. Finally there would be rumbles or drag races from the guys in hot rods from the Fame and Princess drive inns. Either on Broadway or down SW Military Drive. Girls sitting on their boyfriends lap as they drove was always considered in good taste.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:54 PM

35 posts, read 111,709 times
Default St Mary's School

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKBOOT View Post
Does anyone remember ST. Mary's School as it was in 1953. The school was in the basement of the Church where they had grades 1 through 12. The school was moved across the street and students and teachers would travel to the church each morning under St.Marys street via a tunnel. I wonder if the old school basement is still there. I also remember after leaving the Air Force I worked for Hope ambulance service. This was before the city had EMS ambulance service under the umbrella of the Fire Department. There were two major ambulance services at that time Hope and Don's. At times you would see both of them doing 90 miles an hour down the I-10 Freeway ( They were called Expressways then ) trying to scoop the other. That was what was so cool about working for either company, the Expressways could be used as a autobahn. You could see the Driver and the Spook ( the Drivers Assistance ) at the princess Drive Inn on Broadway eating and waiting for a call. The old radio station KTSA would dedicate songs to them from girls. Finally there would be rumbles or drag races from the guys in hot rods from the Fame and Princess drive inns. Either on Broadway or down SW Military Drive. Girls sitting on their boyfriends lap as they drove was always considered in good taste.
Hey Jackboot- I remember the school but I don't know much about it. The one thing I do remeber about the area was that Potchernicks Sporting Goods was right next to the school on St Marys. It was all just north of the Aztec Theatre by the river. I spent a lot of time cruising around downtown on foot when I was a kid. Not too much I don't know about downtown in the fifties. It was a great fun place back then, and safe. Didn't have to worry too much about gangs and fights and pedophiles. Dan G

Old 04-02-2009, 10:43 PM

847 posts, read 2,232,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post

'Teen Canteen' by Blossom Athletic Center?

Did I dream that was there?

The Teen Canteen was run by Sam Kinsey. Famous for the Battle of the Bands.
(he also had a SouthSide Club called Teen Town.)

I don't think Blossom was there when it first opened????

Bands I remember hearing there were The Stoics and The Chaynes....

If I remember correctly, the Moving SideWalks also played there..

mud

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio