Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2009, 09:20 AM

472 posts, read 1,070,998 times

Advertisements

I mentioned on another thread about a bar b que joint back in the day called The Chatter Box,...also an Italian resteraunt on Broadway called Valerios,..I think it was located across he side street where Christies was,...and you can't forget Burger Boy that is still on St Marys St...just saying...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 11:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,089 times
Default old broadway.

Krushsister, I attended some sock hops at Little Flower gym w/ Ricky Weir as the DJ. It was a good place for the kids to have good clean fun dancing & also
dance contests.
Earl Ables was the place to go eat after a Prom or Military Ball. I remember places on Broadway to have fun or eat. There was Playland Park across from
Butter Krust Bakery. The Toddle House Diner w/Ice Box Pies. The Big Orange
Burgers & Root Beer across from Playland. Youngbloods Fried Chicken by the
Golf Course. Christi's Seafood w/ the big neon sign with the Fish flip flopping
in a skillet. I remember a Prince's Drive Inn maybe around where the washateria is at now. Jim's Charbroiled Burgers by the Witte Museum.
Those were the " Happy Days " for me and I guess for all the kids of that era.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:12 AM

3 posts, read 5,397 times
Default San Antonio early 60's

I remember the kiddie park at Brackenridge, but does anyone remember the kiddie park on the Austin Hwy.? I remember I had my 6 or 7 year old birthday party there - just me and another child. The Austin Hwy. also had the Big Orange Drive-In and a Frontier Drive-In. I believe that Bun-n-Barrel is still there. We would go to Brackenridge Park for picnics as well as MacArthur Park. Does anyone remember the old trains in Brackenridge? They were blue and didn't have the top on them. I remember when the new ones came and they stored some of the old ones in the tunnel. We would go to Christies restaurant on occasion. My grandmother lived in a pink house (inside and out) on Flamingo Ln.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:31 AM

3 posts, read 5,397 times
Anyone remember Big John's Steakhouse with it's huge neon cowboy? It was owned by Big John Hamilton (friend of John Wayne's who appeared in a few of his movies). I remember Big John asking my mother out on a date, but she didn't like him. My father and grandfather owned a lumber yard on the Austin Hwy. when I was very young. They sold it when I was 7 or 8 ('63 or '64).

Old 03-29-2012, 12:03 PM

358 posts, read 573,802 times
I remember eating at Valerios back in the 70s. I recall it as good and reasonably priced.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:23 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,726,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthladay View Post
I remember the kiddie park at Brackenridge, but does anyone remember the kiddie park on the Austin Hwy.? I remember I had my 6 or 7 year old birthday party there - just me and another child. The Austin Hwy. also had the Big Orange Drive-In and a Frontier Drive-In. I believe that Bun-n-Barrel is still there. We would go to Brackenridge Park for picnics as well as MacArthur Park. Does anyone remember the old trains in Brackenridge? They were blue and didn't have the top on them. I remember when the new ones came and they stored some of the old ones in the tunnel. We would go to Christies restaurant on occasion. My grandmother lived in a pink house (inside and out) on Flamingo Ln.
Who could forget Christie's? We would usually go there for somebody's birthday. My favorite was the Buccaneer Platter. The thousand island dressing was to die for. I grew up and live on the northeast side of town. Where about on Austin Highway was Kiddie Park? It must have been before my time, don't remember seeing it

Old 03-29-2012, 04:52 PM

97 posts, read 150,474 times
i remember this and the prince for a bite to eat and there was also playland park on broadway street and it seemed so grand and so just right i love hearing about this topics because it is like more of a precious time of the past that will always make you feel great about it!!!

Old 03-29-2012, 06:12 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,168,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
Where about on Austin Highway was Kiddie Park? It must have been before my time, don't remember seeing it
I went there a few times as a kid in the early 60s. It was NE of the Austin Hwy/Rainbow intersection. I think it was gone by the mid-60s.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,444 times
Smile Yes, I remember Big John's Steakhouse! Looking for more info

Yes! Thank you for posting about Big John's Steakhouse. Why didn't your mom like him? I want to know the good, the bad, the ugly : ) He was my uncle and I lived down the street from the Steakhouse growing up. In fact, I joined this forum trying to find more people who remember it, as I'm doing research for a family story. My father, Robert H Hamilton recently passed away and I don't want everything lost from that pivotal time in SA. Big John was an actor and businessman (asst Mayor under Jack White). The Steakhouse was home to many a Hollywood/SA late night party with actors such as Jimmy Stewart, Slim Pickens, James Arness and others flying in and staying at Club Seven Oaks and hanging out at Big John's. The restaurant had cow-hide booths, movie star autographed 8x10's, an oyster bar and seperate bar with shuffleboard. It was next to the bowling alley between the Austin Hwy and Eisenhauer. If anyone has any storeis to share about this place or these people, please let me know. Big John was on the SA Film Commission and brought many movies to SA during the 50's--70's, anyone with info... thanks in advance!

Old 03-31-2012, 01:53 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,401,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamigo View Post
I remember eating at Valerios back in the 70s. I recall it as good and reasonably priced.
I think it was located where tomatillo's is at now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio