U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 09:42 PM

63 posts, read 228,600 times

Advertisements

"Gone but not forgotten" (another thread on this site), on San Antonio was interesting to read, but it seemed as if the folks posting there were quite 'young'. I thought it would be fun to have a thread for those San Antonians who have been around for the biggest part of the last century.

For example, it's for those of us who remember when the Tower Life Building, (Transit Tower or Smith Young Tower as some of us remember it), was the tallest building in San Antonio. This is a 30-story building of neo-gothic design which was built in 1929 and is now listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. The Transit Tower is at 330 S St Mary's, bordered on the north by the river and on the west by S St Mary's.

And, for those of us who remember as kids going to Joske's on the corner of Commerce and Alamo (built in 1887). Remember the elaborate decorations, etc. that they had at Joske's at Christmas time. What was that called, was it Fantasy Land? I remember it very well, but can't remember what they called it.

Is there anyone out there who remembers the old Victoria Courts Apts when they were first built in 1940. Although this complex became an eyesore to downtown in more recent years it was considered progressive in 1940 when first built; or Better Home Ice Cream on S. Presa street?
How about the See and Eat restaurant which was over on Palo Alto Road near South San High School? We used to go there alot on Sundays and get carne guisada tacos which were the very best, for only 10 cents. WOW! I just realized, that this keyboard doesn't have a cent mark! Remember the cent mark

There was a magazine and book store downtown, either on Commerce or Market St, what was the name of it... was it Brock's? I remember there were so many books and magazines in there, there was hardly room to walk.

I'm sure there are so many more fond memories that can be shared from the first half of the 20th century in San Antonio. Let's not let these young whipper snappers have all the fun strolling down memory lane. Share your memories of San Antone before the malls, before the super highways, before the medical center, before the breakup of Ma Bell ....... before .... !

Last edited by sereneintexas; 05-28-2007 at 10:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 08:40 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,710,851 times
Hi Serene.....thank you! I love being called a "whipper snapper"! I would LOVE to hear more about early San Antonio. I arrived in town in 64 but we lived at Randolph and downtown seemed FAR FAR away!

Did you see the poll I started about age bracket of readers here? I'm afraid we're out numbered by the 30 somethings! I hope you get a fair amount of responses to your post!

BTW - did you see the thread about history? There were some awesome early maps posted on it. One was from about 1950......and it was fascinating!

Old 05-29-2007, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 15,907 times
Wow ! what great memories. Downtown was the place to be, a sea of blue all the men in uniform from Lackland. Then there was Sommers drugstore, the majestic theater,Coney island. Window shopping was great fun in the mid 50's ,all the windows would be decorated to fit the season
How could anyone forget the Fantasy Land at Joske's, it was magic,the trains,the snow and of course Santa. We could spend hours looking,afterwards a cup of hot chocolate at the Chuck Wagon made for a perfect day..In those days a lot of folks didn't have air conditioners so a stroll thru Joske's during the summer was a cool way to go .

I remember Better Home ice cream, as a matter of fact I had my first after school job there. I was a carhop,also learned how to make some great fountain drinks. In the back was where they made five gallon buckets of ice cream. Mr. Cannon would let me try all the new flavors. I think peach was my favorite, actually I liked all of them.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:20 PM

Default more memories

Then there was Earl Abel's on Broadway,which closed recently; Hipps Bubble Room on McCaullaugh, where they had a Christmas tree up year round and an electric train over the bar. The Bubble room closed back in the 80's I believe. There's a parking lot there now. Is there anyone out there who has a good memory of the Robert B Green Hospital?
Wcat, I was not able to find the poll on ages of posters, sounds interesting.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 15,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sereneintexas View Post
Then there was Earl Abel's on Broadway,which closed recently; Hipps Bubble Room on McCaullaugh, where they had a Christmas tree up year round and an electric train over the bar. The Bubble room closed back in the 80's I believe. There's a parking lot there now. Is there anyone out there who has a good memory of the Robert B Green Hospital?
Wcat, I was not able to find the poll on ages of posters, sounds interesting.
Hi Serene, you remember a lot of the great places that we no longer have. I wish more old folks would respond, guess when you get our age some folks do good to remember their name...........Hipps Bubble Room was a fun place,remember the man behind the bar with the fabulous mustache.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:09 PM

7 posts, read 35,214 times
Hi. I know I'm rather young (twentysomething), but my mom is in her sixties and she's told me a lot about the way things were like in S.A. while she was growing up. Going to downtown to Wolff & Marx to browse through and shop, having lunch at the Mxican Manhattan or the Walgreens lunch counter, having your picture taken in front of various stores downtown by a professional photographer, then paying for the photo, the Piggly Wiggly, etc. Mom still refers to the downtown University Hospital as the "Brady Green", talks about sock hops at the Little Flower parish gym (and I thought sock hops were just a Hollywood invention), Dad going to Penner's from the time he was a teenager up until shortly before he passed away, seeing movies at the Aztec and the Empire, and so on. I'm going to have to ask her about the other rememberances on this forum to see if she remembers them too.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:43 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,505,816 times
Check out this tribute to Hemisfair '68:

YouTube - Hemisfair 1968 San Antonio

Old 05-31-2007, 11:19 PM

Default thanks

Thanks lakewooder for the memories. That's a great video! I still remember the first visit I made to Hemisfair '68. I was in the 11th grade and it was a school outing. We were all so excited to be going.
I remember they built the modules, that they put together to build the Hilton Palacio Del Rio, out on the south side of town not far from where I grew up. They then moved them to the site of the hotel. That was interesting but strange how they did that.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:30 AM

61 posts, read 305,204 times
Default St. Henry Academy?

My mother graduated from St. Henrys? in about 1942 or so and has been looking for a few of her classmates from that era. Is anyone out there that is from that time or remembers that Catholic school. Specifically she is looking for Felix Flores, he would be about 82 years old or so now. He was one of her best friends and it would be a thrill for me to be able to put them in touch. She has tried many Felix Flores in the past, but such a common name makes it hard. Anyone with any information can PM me anytime. Thanks WHen Igo and visit I will get information about this thread, I bet she would have a great deal of info about SA before 1969!

Old 06-01-2007, 02:21 PM

Default St Henry's

hey there fitguru ~~ Your mom's a little older than me but we'd love to hear some of her memories. I graduated from Luther Burbank High in 1969. I can't remember specific names, but I do remember a number of my classmates who told of attending St Henry's before high school. I believe the school is still there on S. Flores st. Do you know if your mom has tried classmates.com? There might be someone on there from St Henry's. I wish her luck with the search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio