U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2011, 08:25 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,202,837 times

Advertisements

Inspections are so difficult to really catagorize. Demerits, in different categories, are often counted the same even if one is more severe than the other.

For instance, 'no hot water at "A" sink' could mean that the employees simply use another sink to wash their hands with hot water. Or 'concerns about when food is prepared vs when it is served' well, Il Sogno has a cold anti pasta bar. That is not unusual nor does it concern me.

As far as dogs in the kitchen, health inspector fail me now 'cause I have a dog and 3 cats in mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 08:54 AM

14,628 posts, read 31,224,020 times
Of course the Chef at Il Sogno is disputing everything. He has to.

And regarding dogs in the kitchen, that's YOUR kitchen, and if you're happy with that, who cares. You can eat his fur all day, far as anyone else is concerned.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:50 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,187,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I thought this was funny for all those that think ANY restaurant located in downtown or South Town are the greatest places on earth because they are not a chain.

Il Sogno fails its health inspection.

4 Local Eateries Fail Health Inspection - San Antonio & Texas News Story - KSAT San Antonio

A few weeks back, both Taco Haven and Friendly Spot failed theirs too.
Seriously, are there any clean restaurants in South Town or King William area? Cats or Rats, I guess you have to have one or the other in your kitchen in Southtown?
La Foccacia Italian Grill on South Alamo failed their latest health inspection with 35 demerits

Rodent Feces, Dirty Racks Cause Failing Scores - San Antonio & Texas News Story - KSAT San Antonio

Old 11-02-2011, 10:58 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,341,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Seriously, are there any clean restaurants in South Town or King William area? Cats or Rats, I guess you have to have one or the other in your kitchen in Southtown?
La Foccacia Italian Grill on South Alamo failed their latest health inspection with 35 demerits

Rodent Feces, Dirty Racks Cause Failing Scores - San Antonio & Texas News Story - KSAT San Antonio
That doesn't shock me. Have you been there? That place is a mess and the food is dismal. The only positive thing they have going for them is that their wine list is el cheapo and serves decent bottles (drinkable, not great).

As for Il Sogno, I knew about their meat curing practices months ago and since stopped eating there. Eventually, the health dept would find out about it and nail them. For those who didn't know, Sogno would hang their house-made charcuterie meats in their unfinished attic to cure. Not the ideal method and certainly not sterile.

BN

Last edited by BenjaminNicholas; 11-02-2011 at 11:06 AM..

Old 11-02-2011, 11:02 AM

PS: As for it being good just because it's not a chain... I never said that. I've always said support local and have made mention of eateries that are stellar (Rosarios, Luke, Monterey, Le Frite, etc) and have kept good relations with the city. I do my research.

I stand by my want to support local business and not some Darden-based corporation. While many here clamor for the newest fast-food burger, I hold out for San Antonio attracting real dining experiences.

BN

Old 11-09-2011, 08:40 PM

410 posts, read 554,985 times
I'd like to second your hope for innovative food venues in SA. Experience over the last thirty years (really only 10 as a foodie) has taught me this town doesn't encourage/reward folks that are pushing the culinary envelope-witness the iminent demise of Dady's Lodge (though I gather Bin, Tre and 2 bros are doing well). I've been delighted with the turnout at the Monty and Feast when we've visited midweek-hope they can keep it going. Even ran into some east coast foodies who'd been sent to southtown by hotel concierge- a rare sight in my experience, most tourists don't get off the river.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoman67z View Post
I'd like to second your hope for innovative food venues in SA. Experience over the last thirty years (really only 10 as a foodie) has taught me this town doesn't encourage/reward folks that are pushing the culinary envelope-witness the iminent demise of Dady's Lodge (though I gather Bin, Tre and 2 bros are doing well). I've been delighted with the turnout at the Monty and Feast when we've visited midweek-hope they can keep it going. Even ran into some east coast foodies who'd been sent to southtown by hotel concierge- a rare sight in my experience, most tourists don't get off the river.
+1. I hold out with hope, but it's tough when folks here regularly start threads waxing poetic about the newest Saltgrass Steakhouse (or Logans, Wendys, Five Guys, etc, etc, etc). It's like if it's not part of a mass chain, some people won't go near it with a ten foot pole. In any event, I put my money where my mouth is: I support a lot of local eateries. That's my prerogative (just as it's someone's right to go from one Olive Garden to another Joe's Crab Shack).

You mentioned FEAST: It'll have a long life if they can figure out a way to attract people with their very modern design aesthetic. The kitchen is top notch. Great patio scene. I'm interested to see how they make changes as they figure out what works and what doesn't.

BN

Old 11-10-2011, 11:17 AM

486 posts, read 872,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
+1. I hold out with hope, but it's tough when folks here regularly start threads waxing poetic about the newest Saltgrass Steakhouse (or Logans, Wendys, Five Guys, etc, etc, etc). It's like if it's not part of a mass chain, some people won't go near it with a ten foot pole. In any event, I put my money where my mouth is: I support a lot of local eateries. That's my prerogative (just as it's someone's right to go from one Olive Garden to another Joe's Crab Shack).

You mentioned FEAST: It'll have a long life if they can figure out a way to attract people with their very modern design aesthetic. The kitchen is top notch. Great patio scene. I'm interested to see how they make changes as they figure out what works and what doesn't.

BN
BN, I think it's easy to go to the other extreme and condemn everything that it's a chain or is not "fancy" and sophisticated. Remember, the reason they are chains is because people like the food. Otherwise they would fail.

My personal mantra: support good, tasty food, regarless of whether it's local or not. If it's local, much better, but I won't support someone who is not providing my taste buds a good experience, even if they are my next door neighboor.

Some of my favorites: Dough (local), Five Guys (chain), Willies (kind of local), Paloma Blanca (local), Sushi Suzhi (local?), Pasha (local), Chama Gaucha (?), Azuca (local), Carls Jr (chain), PeiWei (chain)..

Old 11-10-2011, 07:10 PM

410 posts, read 554,985 times
Glad I stumbled onto this thread, and hope it stays active. I usually check the openings/closings and last place you ate threads periodically but rarely find useful material there. Agree that "local" doesn't alway imply great and that some chains have good offerings. Agree with all your recs that I've tried, enjoyed Chama gaucha and wondering how it compares to the other churrascarias.
Similiar thread on Chowhound might be of interest Where are the SA foodies getting their information? - Texas - Chowhound

Old 11-22-2011, 08:02 AM

486 posts, read 872,136 times
Last night I tried "Heart of Texas BBQ" in Stone Oak. Pretty mediocre. I had the $10 two-meat plate with brisket and pulled pork, with "creamed" corn and mac and cheese as sides. Brisket was overcooked and extremely dry. Pulled pork was just OK. Corn and Mac&Cheese was sub-par. I don't think I'll come back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or