U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 10:22 AM

4,275 posts, read 6,659,602 times

Advertisements

It feels like a culinary Renaissance in San Antonio!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 09:03 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,341,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
It feels like a culinary Renaissance in San Antonio!!!!
You're kidding, right? Most of what gets mentioned on this thread are just more mass-chains that line the streets and clog your arteries. If I'm going to die from eating too much, I'm going to make d@mned sure it's good food.

A culinary Renaissance would entail a city that could support French cuisine, both in fine and country form. Perhaps some variation on typical Mexican in the form of Cubano, Peruvian, Venezuelan or Colombian. A few more non-chain steakhouses would be nice, offering the kinds of steaks that someone like Mark Bohanan is cooking. A true dim sum house would also be nice, not having to cram myself into the always chaotic Golden Wok (who could also use a new, more powerful vent hood so I don't always leave there smelling like old grease). I can go on, but I think those of us who yearn for more understand completely.

I think it's just another instance of this city always wanting to move sideways, but never push forward. As I've said before, we'll have to wait and see what this kind of growth does to the city 10-15 years from now. I could be completely wrong.

BN

Old 12-08-2011, 11:05 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,804,304 times
food snob! lol

I CANT WAIT FOR IN-N-OUT to come! 2012 baby!

Old 12-09-2011, 09:53 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,202,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
You're kidding, right? Most of what gets mentioned on this thread are just more mass-chains that line the streets and clog your arteries. If I'm going to die from eating too much, I'm going to make d@mned sure it's good food.

A culinary Renaissance would entail a city that could support French cuisine, both in fine and country form. Perhaps some variation on typical Mexican in the form of Cubano, Peruvian, Venezuelan or Colombian. A few more non-chain steakhouses would be nice, offering the kinds of steaks that someone like Mark Bohanan is cooking. A true dim sum house would also be nice, not having to cram myself into the always chaotic Golden Wok (who could also use a new, more powerful vent hood so I don't always leave there smelling like old grease). I can go on, but I think those of us who yearn for more understand completely.

I think it's just another instance of this city always wanting to move sideways, but never push forward. As I've said before, we'll have to wait and see what this kind of growth does to the city 10-15 years from now. I could be completely wrong.

BN
same thought...any line that starts off "we're getting A/AN..." can't end well.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:35 PM

935 posts, read 1,756,723 times
Quote:

I would like to add a good Italian restaurant with nice atmosphere. I've been to the places people here have said are good and have found them mediocre. Maybe a place like that exists here, but if so I haven't found it.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
I would like to add a good Italian restaurant with nice atmosphere. I've been to the places people here have said are good and have found them mediocre. Maybe a place like that exists here, but if so I haven't found it.
I would agree. The poor excuses for dining rooms at Italian eateries in this town are really to be talked about and laughed at.

It's why I won't go back to Paesanos in '09: The dining space is so loud. It sounds like a zoo in there, even during lunch.

BN

Old 12-09-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnts71 View Post
food snob!
You betcha... And proud of it

If there are those of us in San Antonio who demand better dining and will pay for it, there will always be a Jason Dady or Andrew Weissman willing to open up something new and interesting. As more transplants move to the city, I think you'll see an expanded palette. At least, I hope so.

BN

Old 12-10-2011, 10:26 AM

1,097 posts, read 1,804,304 times
I think SA is getting better but sometimes people who move here like comfort food and when a place like 54th street comes here its kinda normal to get excited. If I moved to NY, I would probably miss Whataburger like crazy but Im sure I would find a substitute

Old 12-10-2011, 11:18 AM

581 posts, read 1,039,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnts71 View Post
I think SA is getting better but sometimes people who move here like comfort food and when a place like 54th street comes here its kinda normal to get excited. If I moved to NY, I would probably miss Whataburger like crazy but Im sure I would find a substitute
OMG! When I was stationed in Germany and we got to travel to France and Italy and someone knew a guide who worked for a food magazine, so we went to all these nice, 5 star restaurants and all I kept thinking to myself, "I'm eating some of the BEST food in Europe but I'd kill for a #7 Whataburger with cheese and a Dr. Pepper." LOL

Old 12-11-2011, 02:01 PM

464 posts, read 662,262 times
Quote:
You betcha... And proud of it

If there are those of us in San Antonio who demand better dining and will pay for it, there will always be a Jason Dady or Andrew Weissman willing to open up something new and interesting. As more transplants move to the city, I think you'll see an expanded palette. At least, I hope so.

BN
Agreed! There are those who would gladly pay for better dining. I'm one of them. From what I've observed the problem appears to be twofold: a lack of interest by many in cuisines other than those they're familiar with and the culture of cheapness that pervades the city.

The first problem could be overcome by expanding one's culinary horizons. Given that San Antonio love to eat, you'd think this would be a fairly easy task. There seems to be a lack of culinary diversity here in San Antonio among certain demographics. And for a certain age group, the ol' familiar dining trough seems to fit the bill. I tend to see more culinary diversity and interest among younger, more educated professionals who undoubtedly will be the core customers of future restaurants.

I think many won't try a new cuisine unless the place has such buzz as to be the place "to see and be seen at." To attend for those reasons alone is wrong, but many are oblivious to that. Many establishments whose image and reputation rests on the prestige of the name/location/celebrity patrons alone often have mediocre menus and service.

The second problem seems to be a matter of misplaced fiscal priorities. People seem to equate higher priced dining with greater portions of food instead of taste, creativity and presentation. They may also be intimidated or uncomfortable by the price tag or the ingredients.

I recently dined at a new high-end steakhouse and sat next to a patron who carped the entire time about the steep price of everything; what he felt were meagre proportions, etc. He wound up leaving at the same time we did only to see the discontented diner step into his new Hybrid Escalade and drive away.

We need more Dadys and Weissmans to imbue and enrich the culinary canvas of San Antonio with their artistry. But like any business, the demand will have to be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or