Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 08:43 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,025,445 times

Advertisements

We tried the Furr's Fresh on 151 and we will not be going back. The food was bland even for buffet food. Tables were not wiped down well and we had to beg for our drinks. I have no idea why this place is so packed all the time. I felt like I was surrounded by the people of Walmart, ugh.

Last edited by carlitasway; 04-24-2012 at 08:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 08:50 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoman67z View Post
Was curious to see if there was any input here (got tagged with "elitist alert" on the openings/closings thread) on Bliss or Sustenio. I usually wait until a place has found it's legs before trying but the pedigrees here make me want to sample sooner than later. Then again, there's a growing list of places(Midi, Tangere) in this town that closed before I ever got around to checking out.
On Bliss, excellent, as long as you're not vegetarian. Portions are small, which is to be expected and generally fine. Presentation is incredible. Ambiance superb. non-veg options mostly excellent. there is some hit and miss, but mostly worth it.

for veg - there's just very limited on offer, and what is is kind of pathetic, honestly. Definitely worth a visit. That it is a hop, skip, and jump for me to visit - literally - helps

Old 04-30-2012, 01:11 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,513 times
Went to Drews for lunch. Very pricey but a great Reuben. It's a destination lunch as compared to a work lunch. Service was quite competent. I will try again when in the mode for a fancy lunch.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:18 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
We tried the Furr's Fresh on 151 and we will not be going back. The food was bland even for buffet food. Tables were not wiped down well and we had to beg for our drinks. I have no idea why this place is so packed all the time. I felt like I was surrounded by the people of Walmart, ugh.
The Furr's on southside (zarzamora st and 410) has the best salad buffet bar of any place I have been to, but I hate most of their hot food items.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:51 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,194,708 times
The chicken & waffles currently being touted by Jim's restaurants should be avoided. Not only was it served with maple syrup you get two smallish pieces of fried chicken fillets and four small pieces of waffle. The kicker... $7.99. (Maple syrup ??? Get a rope.) Chicken gravy all the way !!! Gag !!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:51 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
The chicken & waffles currently being touted by Jim's restaurants should be avoided. Not only was it served with maple syrup you get two smallish pieces of fried chicken fillets and four small pieces of waffle. The kicker... $7.99. (Maple syrup ??? Get a rope.) Chicken gravy all the way !!! Gag !!
Nope, maple syrup is the authentic, soul food way to serve chicken and waffles. I've seen a couple of shows on the Food Network that featured restaurants where it has been served for years that serve it this way. Wikipedia agrees that butter and syrup is the norm and adds: "A version of this dish mostly known within areas that have Pennsylvania Dutch influences consists of a plain waffle with pulled, stewed chicken on top, covered in gravy." So it sounds like you need to go to Pennsylvania for this.

I did chicken and waffles, with butter and syrup once at IHOP. Once was enough. It was interesting, but not something I would ever crave.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:21 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
Just FYI if you ever wanted to try RoMo's: they have a sweet groupon that's available through today. I love, love, love RoMo's!

Old 06-06-2012, 02:38 AM

592 posts, read 2,024,828 times
I am looking for a good Udon noodle shop. Any suggestions.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:43 PM

915 posts, read 1,904,121 times
SA is lacking in both Udon and Ramen shops. Yummi used to make a very solid version of each, but discontinued the Ramen. If they still have the udon it was good, but only 1 option. The other choice in town is Little Nikki's Tokyo Inn. Their noodles are okay, but not NYC, LA, or even Houston.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:45 PM

915 posts, read 1,904,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post

I have eaten chicken & waffles coast to coast (Sylvia's and Roscoe's) and have never heard of gravy being used. That doesn't even make sense for the dish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio