Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2012, 01:52 AM

363 posts, read 748,110 times

Advertisements

Kirby's Steakhouse on 1604 does a scotch tasting the first Tues of every month. Almost always single malts, $25 per person, 4 sometimes 5 scotch samples. Your run of the mill Glens but also some neat stuff I had never heard of. Different every month. I think it's from 6-8pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 01:54 AM

And I doubt anywhere in town has more single malts than Kirby's. Easily over 100 different labels. Yum!

Old 09-15-2012, 10:55 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SsnTktHldr View Post
And I doubt anywhere in town has more single malts than Kirby's. Easily over 100 different labels. Yum!
Doubt away, but Bohanan's does. This is an outdated list, but their spirits rundown not only now trumps in the single-malt category, but overall. It's staggeringly impressive (and mixed beautifully).

http://bohanansbar.com/spirits.pdf

BN

Old 09-15-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Doubt away, but Bohanan's does. This is an outdated list, but their spirits rundown not only now trumps in the single-malt category, but overall. It's staggeringly impressive (and mixed beautifully).

http://bohanansbar.com/spirits.pdf

BN

Quite a list, and quite overpriced. But I expect no less from Houston St. They can charge whatever they want and will always get it. However, Kirby's has a far broader selection of single malts, blended scotch, and bourbon. I'm not bashing Bohanan's, I have always enjoyed dinner there as well. But the post was asking for Single Malt Scotch selection and Kirby's has them eclipsed by far. If I can get them to send me a list I'll post it.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsnTktHldr View Post
Quite a list, and quite overpriced. But I expect no less from Houston St. They can charge whatever they want and will always get it. However, Kirby's has a far broader selection of single malts, blended scotch, and bourbon. I'm not bashing Bohanan's, I have always enjoyed dinner there as well. But the post was asking for Single Malt Scotch selection and Kirby's has them eclipsed by far. If I can get them to send me a list I'll post it.
Please do that, as their website isn't what I would call too 'detailed.'

Perhaps it's that I don't really like Kirbys to begin with: Horribly lit dining room, pedestrian quality steak and all the way in Stone Oak. For me, it's three strikes... I'm out.

BN

Old 09-16-2012, 10:25 PM

Well, I got the list but it would be ridiculous to cut and paste in a post. There are 143 scotches. I'd be happy to email it to you if you want to DM me an email address.

I disagree with your assessment however. The bar at Kirby's is well lit and I enjoy the darker, more intimate ambiance at Kirby's. We typically have a private room when it's a business function so you can adjust the lights to your needs. I find Bohanans dining room can be annoyingly loud when they are busy so when we do go, we go on off days or times. As far as the steaks go, the quality is even in my opinion with a broader selection at Kirby's. Unless you're talking about the ridiculous $150 and up steaks Bohanans brings out wrapped in plastic to try and sell you. Then you may be right, don't think I'll ever spring for that kind of beef.

But to each his own.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:47 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,968,633 times
I was just at Kirbys over the weekend to use a Groupon my mom gave me. We dined at the bar so I could watch college football and also since we are not a big fans of the dinning room. The 20oz cold smoked mesquite steak we shared had great flavor, but was undercooked. We always order our steaks medium rare but this baby was served rare. I didn't want to send it back with chance of it being overcooked, still a very good steak. Like BN I live in the downtown area (Southtown), so I normally try not to drive long distances to eat. The bartenders were fantastic thought, and their single pours are doubles. I'll be back to try happy hour sometime.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
I was just at Kirbys over the weekend to use a Groupon my mom gave me. We dined at the bar so I could watch college football and also since we are not a big fans of the dinning room. The 20oz cold smoked mesquite steak we shared had great flavor, but was undercooked. We always order our steaks medium rare but this baby was served rare. I didn't want to send it back with chance of it being overcooked, still a very good steak. Like BN I live in the downtown area (Southtown), so I normally try not to drive long distances to eat. The bartenders were fantastic thought, and their single pours are doubles. I'll be back to try happy hour sometime.
If they're doing business with Groupon, Kirbys has more problems to deal with than my lukewarm review. I think I'll stick to Bohanans and The Palm for the time being, thanks.

Tonight: NAO at Pearl.

While the service is at a relaxed pace (2+ hours for dinner), the food is well worth the wait and the staff is really excited about all of it. Nicely lit dining room, open concept kitchen, casual in some ways, but not a place I'd feel comfortable wearing less than jeans, a collar and a nice pair of shoes.

I did the three course option: The conch Caribbean ceviche was outstanding as a starter, moved into a grilled octopus salad and duck confit w/ mole tamale accent for a main. All creative in plating, delicious in taste and worth the small wait between courses. While the food portions don't look large, the meal was perfectly filling. I didn't leave overstuffed, which is a rare thing for San Antonio and something I'd like to see more of.

I'd call the food Brazilian-inspired with Spanish accents. Really interesting and the kitchen is churning out things that aren't seen elsewhere in the city. Very reasonable menu prices too. I'll definitely be back.

Only caveat: Weak wine menu. Good bar, however.

BN

Old 09-20-2012, 12:04 AM

153 posts, read 283,233 times
Kirbys is horrible. I paid $45 for the most Fatty Ribeye ever. The best part of the whole meal was the mushroom risoto(sp?) sorry but I didnt try the bar drinks, I suppose I may have enjoyed the over priced fat had I had a stiff drink!

Old 09-30-2012, 12:35 PM

715 posts, read 1,356,123 times
Seems like certain things are so quick to close down in sa but yet in other markets like Houston and Dallas they stay open or have been in business there forever by the time we get the franchise here. Always wondered why that was. Are we just to in to our taquerias here and are local stuff (Whataburger, Bill miller, sea island, Eddies taco house)? Is this part of our "small town mentality"? I've also always wondered why only one pappadeaux in this town of almost 2 million peeps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio