U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-10-2010, 08:45 AM

12 posts, read 5,838 times
Default Anyone move from NoVA to SA?

Considering making the move from Northern VA (Ashburn) to SA and am interested in hearing about the experiences of others that have made the same move. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 08:52 AM

4,263 posts, read 6,940,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 315ER View Post
Considering making the move from Northern VA (Ashburn) to SA and am interested in hearing about the experiences of others that have made the same move. Thanks!
We have several posters that have moved from that area...I'm sure someone will chime in shortly.
Are you near Church Road?

Old 02-10-2010, 09:00 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,457,642 times
For all you transplants from VA/DC
From MD to San Antonio
anyone move to San Antonio from NOVA?
Relocating to San Antonio From Virginia

Old 02-10-2010, 09:44 AM

16 posts, read 36,569 times
I did the move from Arlington VA to SA back in April of 2006. Of course I'm oringally from here so it wasn't that difficult. I messed the Metro a bit when I was here, and just all that there was to do in the DC area. But once I got used to EVERYTHING being cheaper, I forgot about that stuff. Oh and watching the snow in DC right now makes it even better. People are also noticeably more courteous IMO.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:30 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,573,357 times
We moved from Ashburn (the Village) to SA a couple of years ago. What kind of insight are you looking for?

--Dim

Old 02-10-2010, 06:55 PM

841 posts, read 764,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 315ER View Post
I lived in Reston prior to coming back to San Antonio. I was raised here and chose to come back. Things I miss since coming down from Fairfax County: the four seasons, although I do not miss super-blizzards like the one the city just experienced, better paying jobs, the variety of ethnic foods available and going to FedEx to see the Redskins. Outside of those if you have an open mind you should adjust well to living down here.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:34 PM

260 posts, read 230,607 times
I moved to SA from Annandale and lived in Delaplane for a short while in 1995. Transferred with job and have enjoyed San Antonio very much. Yes, there are some cultural drawbacks, but overall a good place to live. Great neighborhoods -- but do your research well.

Let us know what information you're looking for and I'm sure you'll get many responses.

You say you are considering a move --- are you looking at other places in Texas or another State and when?

As for me, I'm planning a move out -- don't know where yet -- upon retirement in 1 1/2 years.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:34 PM

744 posts, read 699,383 times
I came down from Woodbridge. Many hear complain about the rush hour traffic and I do not find it nearly as bad as up 95 toward DC. Life here is at a little different pace, but still enjoyable. Let me know of any specific concerns and I will be sure to try and answer them. And just to be the first one to ask do you speak spanish? It is not needed but I find it funny how many people think it is.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:51 AM

62 posts, read 56,566 times
We just moved here from Arlington two months and like it quite a bit so far. We're pretty new so still have a ton to learn about the area, but what we've seen we like. The pace is definitely slower (which I consider I good thing) and I would imagine you'll like the lower cost of living. It's amazing to me how much less things cost here - gas, housing, even some grocery items. We are still living in a temp apartment so haven't really experienced living in a neighborhood yet. We're looking forward to finding a house and establishing ourselves a little more. The people here are very nice and courteous - people actually let you in the lane in traffic - amazing!

I was born and raised in DC so I'm still getting used to the change, but as I said - I like it here so far. Good luck with your move. And if you're planning on driving from VA here, be prepared - the drive is a killer and seems to take forever!

Old 02-11-2010, 02:37 PM

12 posts, read 5,838 times
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and links!

firstclassflyer:
Just a few miles from Church -- near Belmont Ridge and RT 7.

the_dimwit:
I guess we were just mainly curious about what people miss ... prefer about SA, etc.

getgoing2010
We also talk about San Diego ... but would like to improve the traffic / cost of living if we make a move ... and don't think that would accomplish either. As far as timing ... we are kind of open ... but interested in exploring our options.

FutureBrennanDad
No Hable Espanol (yet)

So, we are considering SA because we've heard good things about the area - weather, housing prices, pace, etc but keep wondering whether we would miss certain things about the DC area - food, convenience, job market (tech/education), etc.

We really noticed how beautiful many of the houses are down there ... and how much more you can get for the $ ... although, I know our salaries might be a bit lower - especially on the education side. But I'd be willing to give up some $ if meant better quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio